It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Post subject: SP-555 vs. MPC1000 (or just any MPC for that matter)
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:38 pm 

I've been debating on whether to get SP-555 or MPC1000. I currently have the SP-404, but I played with that 555 & it's amazing!! But what's the "main" difference between the 555 & 1000? Besides the fact of the 555 is "DJ" based. I mainly need one for studio use. I don't know if I just want the 555 to do what the MPC does or, if it does do the same thing as one. There's just ALOT of hype over the MPC & before i purchase a 555, can the 555 give out the same feel & sound quality that a MPC does. Thanks

Post subject: 555 vs mp
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:05 pm 

i would say the 555 is a very creative extreme sonical creative on the fly thing.. as the mpc is a rocksolid sequencer with lovely pads..

Post subject: Re: SP-555 vs. MPC1000 (or just any MPC for that matter)
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:33 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

vinnybaybe wrote:
There's just ALOT of hype over the MPC & before i purchase a 555, can the 555 give out the same feel & sound quality that a MPC does.

The SP-555 definitely has a great sound quality as well, however when it comes to feel, these two devices are probably pretty different. I owned the SP-555 for a short while and loved it ( had it until I bought a second hand SP-606 ), I've only messed around on a MPC1000 a few times in a store and with a friend that owns one.

The SP-555 is not an MPC 1000 though, it has no screen, the sequencer is good but a lot more basic and overall you'll be working with a machine a lot like your SP-404 in terms of how to control it. That might be an advantage for you though.

The MPC 1000 has to load in samples if I recall correctly, the SP-555 has near instantaneous sample access. Also, you need to scroll to menus to get simple things done, some people complain about that too when they compare it to the MPC1000.

It would be best to go to a store and check both machines out. I liked the SP-555 a lot and have been looking into the MPC1000 as well.

To me they seem both like pretty awesome machines, but they can't really be compared. One is DJ oriented and meant for live performance, the other machine is much more thought of as a studio center piece.

Biggest pro for the SP-555 probably is it's Loop Capture function, lots of sick effects, easy control and plenty of room to get creative.

Biggest pro for the MPC1000; It has a screen so you can see what you're doing, has a more complex sequencer, "it has the MPC-feel" (whatever that is.. I think it's a largely hyped thing, as it depends on how good your samples are and what you do with them.)

Edit: I forgot to mention this, whatever you do I wouldn't advise buying an MPC500. I'm not saying it's a bad device, but I've heard so much complaints about crashes, pads that break and generally the MPC1000 can be bought second hand for the same price. Which would give you much more features...

Last edited by PHeMoX on Tue May 06, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:35 pm 

I called Roland & he said the 555 was made to specifically trigger loops. It can sample & do things the MPC does, but the MPC is geard towards the sequencer, where you can make a song & just export it out. I think I just want the 555 cause it looks amazing & the PRICE is pretty damn good considering it has phantom power & all the effects. I think what im thinking is basically turning the 555 into a MPC (sort of speak), & have that same quality that the MPC has. Because you see everybody rockin some sort of MPC, hardly ever any SP's. I just want the 555 to be my weapon of choice without having my idea's being limited because if limited sequencing

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:42 pm 

Holy hell we posted @ the same time & I got a lil' confused for a second there...Yea I know what you mean. It does matter 100% about the samples too. I see people on YOUTUBE all the time with a MPC & they think they're doin some BIG platinum track just because they got a MPC, & really its the most basic shyt I've ever heard, & i could make the same sounds with a 1984 cassete player with a built in mic. Then again you got major artist who swear by MPC's, & up coming producer's like Boon Doc & FaT TrAkS.

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:43 pm 

Yeah, I feel you on that.

Trust me, if you rock the SP-404, the SP-555 ain't going to be such a big deal to control either. If you can deal with the SP-404 limitations, the SP-555 won't be a problem. 8)

The fact that you 'hardly' see SPs ( i disagree a bit, there's just more MPC heads out there I guess because Akai has a huge history with their MPC line) has more to do with hype I think.

I'm not saying the MPCs ain't dope machines though... especially the MPC60, MPC2000XL and MPC4000 are incredible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm 

Lol, yeah, confused me a bit too as it happened twice in a row hahahah.

Quote:
I see people on YOUTUBE all the time with a MPC & they think they're doin some BIG platinum track just because they got a MPC, & really its the most basic shyt I've ever heard

Word! It's funny as sht though to some extent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:03 pm 

YEA!! I went to my music store & they got the 555, it was really easy to navigate, thats why i like it so much, i dont want to have to re-learn everything if i get the MPC. It was super easy tho. You know what else I noticed on the 555 (or maybe its just me)? The quantizing is much, much better than the 404. To me it seems that the 404 quantize feature is, well not really quantizing. You still have to be pretty dead on when laying down a track. The 555 I was off on purpose & it put the 1/4 notes ryte on. I love it!!!

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:04 pm 

vinnybaybe wrote:
YEA!! I went to my music store & they got the 555, it was really easy to navigate, thats why i like it so much, i dont want to have to re-learn everything if i get the MPC. It was super easy tho. You know what else I noticed on the 555 (or maybe its just me)? The quantizing is much, much better than the 404. To me it seems that the 404 quantize feature is, well not really quantizing. You still have to be pretty dead on when laying down a track. The 555 I was off on purpose & it put the 1/4 notes ryte on. I love it!!!

you know... I barely touch the sequencer on the 555. I use it mainly for drums. The pitch and the timestretch are improved on the 555 tho.I find myself using loop capture more often than not. Its so usefull. But ya, the MPC is very, very different from the 555. If you are going for ease of use and quick operation the 555 is a very good choice. The MPC has some great features and a rock solid sequencer but it is not even close to the 303/404/555 in that department. I think you will find the 555 and 404 make a great combo even though they are so similar. I have a post on here somewhere pointing out some of the advantages.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:43 am 

Thanks for the input fella's. The more info the better. Still' i think i want to attempt to use the 555 in replace of a MPC. (if that makes any sense).

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:02 am 

I was recently at guitar center and had a G burnin' a hole in my pocket.
Well, I was in the EXACT same place as you.
They even had a mpc 1k used there for a lil less than the 555 BUT the pads were hanging half way out and it was a NO RETURN deal but they swore up and down every thing was cool. I've noticed on ebay a handful of 1ks ive seen had issues with the pads. I took that as a sign to go with the 555 and Im not bummed at all. The 555 is so fun. You can just go. No menus to navigate or load waiting. Just get busy....even out of the box in less than 5 mins. Im doubtful if a person could do that with 1k.
I just think they are kinda built junky. I still want a 2kxl, though.
Also, I would have ONLY gotten the mpc for my dough (brand new, of course) but going with the 555 I was able to get a few extra cables and a cf card(paid too much for that :oops: I think) and the foot pedal and STILL had money in my pocket, at least till my wife found out.

As for the mpc 500 I read somewhere that its a better piece of gear if you already own a bigger mpc. They complement each other but the 500 alone is pretty limiting.

Tough choice. :x

Good luck! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:53 am 

Thanks for the info bro. I'm pretty sure im gonna invest in the 555. The price alone brings samples to my ear. I figure you don't have as much space in a 555 vs. a 1000 or higher, but I got my MAC & although it mite take a lil bit of time poppin out the CF card & putting samples on then putting it back into the 555, it's still does what a MPC does. From what i believe @ least. I read somewhere that its a better piece of gear if you already own a bigger mpc. I read that too. Which is very pointless for that price tag it has. But they have a new piece "XR-20" coming out. I think thats going to compete with the 404 for sure. But i'm sticking with the 555. I can get a brand new for $470, & i did do some pricing research on the eBay, pricing for 555, i might as well buy one locally, & for the MPC 1000, it's very cheap on the eBay.

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:43 pm 

use the money u save on records ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 pm 

Ohhhhh my uncle has the craziest selection on records. He seriously has every soul record ever made. Shyt is sick. Just need the right equipment to flip em on.

SP-404
Technics Turn Table
Denon Headphones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:01 am 

well...if u have to many then I can give u my address and u can send me some 8)