It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:34 am

Post subject: can we use SP 555 as a Drum machine? Please help...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:51 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm having some real problem...I have imported as many WAV/AIFF Drum loops to SP 555 but I can't play them. I can play but I have to hold the pad long enough to make the complete sound of the snare/bass/cymbals etc. If I play like any drum pads it does not sound like a drum because I need to release the pad fast enough to hit the other pad.

Can I import drum loops and play in SP 555? The factory drum sound in Bank A, that comes with the SP 555 seems to be working fine with the pads from 1-8, but when I sample or record my own loop from the computer I can't play...please help.

Highlander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:38 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

You have to cut the loop into pieces if it's a loop and you want to play the kick, snare, bass, hi-hat or whatever separately like on the pads 1-8.

I'd suggest you read the SP-555 manual on how to do this. ( I'd help, but I don't own a SP-555 anymore, so I'm a bit rusty on how sample editing and so on works.).

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 pm 

im not sure but it sounds like you have un needed space at the front of your sample(wav file). if thats the case, you can use the "mark" button to adjust when the sample starts, so a quick tap will sound the sound you want. hope this helps :?
also, having the "gate" button on or off will determine if the sample plays through or stops when you release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:12 pm 

u need to turn the "gate" and "loop" buttons off 8)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject: thanks guys!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 pm 

Thanks a lot now I can use SP555 as a drum pad too.

I've got another issue.

I put my synth/sequencer/drum machine/keyboard sound to my interface inputs. I connect the output/headphone line to SP555 line in, I've tried to do the same in Microphone input too. I've tried to record both in loop record and Sampling but somehow the sound is very bad. Now, I have also connected my SP555 output to the interface input. It's like taking the interface source to sample in SP555 and at the same time I listen to my SP555 through the interface. The sound recorded is very very bad. I've adjusted peak and whatever possible.

I've also tried to record independently without the interface through the line-in in SP555. Somehow it's the same. The sound is just horrible and the volume cannot be made louder though Control 3 is supposed to make it loud while saving in a pad. The only way to get a decent sound is through Microphone line-in in SP555.

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thanks for you inputs.

Highlander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:10 pm 

I dont understand what u are asking here.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm 

I don't quite understand either, however;

Quote:
It's like taking the interface source to sample in SP555 and at the same time I listen to my SP555 through the interface. The sound recorded is very very bad. I've adjusted peak and whatever possible.

Do you mean that you use the SP-555 for playback AND recording at the same time? I never got that to work without problems either....

What exactly are you using as source? Playing MP3 files with Microsoft Mediaplayer or so?

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject: Sorry for my messed up explanation.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am 

1. First , the line-in in the back of SP555 doesn't record properly. I've tried every way to adjust the sound but I think I'm doing something wrong. the recorded sounds from SP555 come out horrible. I've adjusted the level of input so that it does not peak nor it's not so low. I'm trying to record the Drum sound from Logic Studio. I take the line out fro my Mac Laptop and put it in line-in in SP555.

2. I can't adjust the level of the volume that is recorded through line-in, recorded through Microphone line is ok. I've followed the manual. Dial up Control 3 while saving to a pad but it will reach only 100 instead of 127. I'm doing somthing wrong.

2. Recording through the Microphone line is ok but you know it's mono recording so I want the line-in source as it is stereo. Am I right?

3. I want to record/sample both Microphone line and line-in at the same time. but since line-in won't help me I cannot do this.

*line-in=the two jacks in the back of SP555.

Thanks a ton for your attention.

Highlander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 am 

You should be able to record stereo on full volume... weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 am 

could it possibly be faulty lines(rca) :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:35 am 

Are you getting a feedback loop? This may happen when you've got cables running from both your external recordering device (e.g. tape deck/PC/MD/whatever) and your sampler. When you're recording out a sample or sequence from your Tripple-5 to a recorder, make sure your External Source button is off, so you won't inadvertantly pick up what's coming out of the recorder, which is probably monitoring your input anyways. When you send that recording back to the sampler, it will have that feedback mixed in with your recording. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it may be something to think about, at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 am 

yeah it's the "gate" button that's causing the cutoff -- i just figured that out too.

Why not just use the card to export from computer --> sp-555?

my inputs on the sp are from my turntable right now, if i need sounds from the computer i just use the card.

Sennheiser HD600
Motu Traveler

Post subject: Hi Lopar and Michael
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:57 pm 

Hi Lopar and Michael I think you guys have some answer to my ignorance. I'll try to figure this out.

1. Yes I do have loop feed back while recording. Even if I control the feedback during the recording somehow it's there in the recorded sound.

2. This GATE switch needs to be understood more.

3. I would like to import directly to the Card but logic Studio loops and samplers are not WAV/AIFF files.

4. The most important one is I would like to record my own music in SP555 in this case I need to know how the line-in will work.

Thanks a lot.

Highlander.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:19 pm 

highlander,
#2. the gate button pertains to each sample indivdually. when you press "gate" to turn it on or off, that is just for the last sample you played. when the gate button is lit for a particular sample, and you press that sample, the sample will play only as long as you hold it, and when you let off the sample will stop. if the gate button is not lit for that particular sample, you can just press the pad once quickly and the sample will play until the end. pretty basic
#3. maybe you can find a program that converts the files you have into .wav files. i know there is programs for .mp3 to .wav conversions, but im not sure what kind of file you have and if there is a program for that. search the net i hear that you can find some free programs(i dont know)
#4. still trying to figure that one out myself. let me know if you find out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:15 am 

shmedy wrote:
highlander,
#2. the gate button pertains to each sample indivdually. when you press "gate" to turn it on or off, that is just for the last sample you played. when the gate button is lit for a particular sample, and you press that sample, the sample will play only as long as you hold it, and when you let off the sample will stop. if the gate button is not lit for that particular sample, you can just press the pad once quickly and the sample will play until the end. pretty basic
#3. maybe you can find a program that converts the files you have into .wav files. i know there is programs for .mp3 to .wav conversions, but im not sure what kind of file you have and if there is a program for that. search the net i hear that you can find some free programs(i dont know)
#4. still trying to figure that one out myself. let me know if you find out. :wink:

^^ what he said -- and i use a program called "DBPowerAMP" for converting formats -- i haven't tried putting anything on the card that DBPA converted yet -- but i use it often to convert to .wav for making videos in windows movie maker.

Sennheiser HD600
Motu Traveler