It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am

Post subject: Couple questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:14 am 

Hey guys. Considering purchasing an SP-555, but I've got a few questions first.

When you're triggering samples from the SP, I know there's one-shot mode, and the mode where you have to hold down the pad to play the whole sample. I was wondering if you're using one-shot mode.... let's say you hit the pad once to trigger a sample, let the sample play half way through, then hit the pad again. Will the sample cut off, and start from the beginning again? Or will the first trigger hit make the sample play all the way through even if its re-triggered?

Could someone explain to me the concept of back-up pads/settings? I read something about this in the manual. Is it basically a way to compress/backup drum samples and store them in a memory card without taking too much space? From my understanding, you'd be able to load up a certain backup, but you can't use samples across different backups. Like for example, you may have Kick A and Kick B in backup one, and Kick C and Kick D in backup two. You wouldn't be able to create a beat using Kick A and C or B and D right?

Hows its performance as an audio interface? I'm not sure if the SP-555 is USB 1.1 or 2.0. Could someone clarify this for me? I'm planning on using the SP with my MacBook. Using the RCA outs into a pair of active monitors. Lets say I wanted to sample some vinyl. Do I need a mixer before going into the SP or does the SP bring the level up to the RIAA standard?

And finally.... this request is a bit of a stretch... But could anyone with an SP-555 post a video of chopping a sample and putting a rough track together? Or even SP-404 would work. The YouTube videos I've found don't really go into detail about the chopping part, which I'd like to know more about.

Thanks!
rillah

Post subject: Re: Couple questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:18 pm 

rillah wrote:
Hey guys. Considering purchasing an SP-555, but I've got a few questions first.

When you're triggering samples from the SP, I know there's one-shot mode, and the mode where you have to hold down the pad to play the whole sample. I was wondering if you're using one-shot mode.... let's say you hit the pad once to trigger a sample, let the sample play half way through, then hit the pad again. Will the sample cut off, and start from the beginning again? Or will the first trigger hit make the sample play all the way through even if its re-triggered?

Could someone explain to me the concept of back-up pads/settings? I read something about this in the manual. Is it basically a way to compress/backup drum samples and store them in a memory card without taking too much space? From my understanding, you'd be able to load up a certain backup, but you can't use samples across different backups. Like for example, you may have Kick A and Kick B in backup one, and Kick C and Kick D in backup two. You wouldn't be able to create a beat using Kick A and C or B and D right?

Hows its performance as an audio interface? I'm not sure if the SP-555 is USB 1.1 or 2.0. Could someone clarify this for me? I'm planning on using the SP with my MacBook. Using the RCA outs into a pair of active monitors. Lets say I wanted to sample some vinyl. Do I need a mixer before going into the SP or does the SP bring the level up to the RIAA standard?

And finally.... this request is a bit of a stretch... But could anyone with an SP-555 post a video of chopping a sample and putting a rough track together? Or even SP-404 would work. The YouTube videos I've found don't really go into detail about the chopping part, which I'd like to know more about.

Thanks!
rillah

Yes, in one shot mode all the SPs will retrigger when u hit the pad again.

Back up lets you save all the contents of bank AnB onto the card so u can load it back later. So u could save a total of 32 banks on the card for say..drum kits.. that u can load up ne time.

Its usb 1.1 I think. I sold my Yamaha interface and im just using the 555 now. im even cutting vocals through it now and again. It works really well as an interface. I really like that u can put FX on the incoming signal if u are recording things like vocals or guitar.

I still owe Mostblunted an example of the lofi compressor (my bad !) I will try to make a quick video and get madblunted his loop. asap :)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:11 pm 

Thanks for the quick response!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:53 am 

I'd appreciate the chopping video too, cause i'm probably going to do it in software if i can't get it working on the sp... i've been having problems with the card and i just bought a new one -- now everything works fine

Kingston 2 GB CF card type = not work
Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card = works

Sennheiser HD600
Motu Traveler