It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Post subject: Replacement CF drive
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:12 am 

Ok, I don't post much on here, but I'll start off by saying all the info you guys put up is always helpful and I give you all props for being so informative about these awesome machines (404sx, and 555 user). Here's my problem. I had been having trouble getting my 555 to read cf cards, and I thought it was just bad cards so I bought a Roland card off of amazon, and it also didn't work. So I did some investigating and noticed one of the pins inside the reader is bent totally flat against the back of the drive, and it's pretty much impossible to bend it back up. I was wondering 2 things:
1. Is it possible to gain better access to the pins if I opened it up and removed the CF reader (so maybe I'd still have a chance to repair it quick and easy myself).
2. If this is not possible, is there an affordable replacement CF reader I could purchase and have professionally installed? I'd rather not get a junk 555 off of ebay, so after-market parts would be preferable.

Keep in mind I have little knowledge of computer/electronic hardware and I'm just a frustrated dude trying to get the most out of this machine which I paid dearly for, and love even more dearly.

Thanks in advance SP fam,

Shawn

Post subject: Re: Replacement CF drive
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 am 

I would try bending the pin first. I tore my 555 apart to mod it but only seem to have 2 pic of the reader (with card inserted) and it looks like the shield covering the pins is probably soldered to the PCB board it is on. Might not be- but you cannot see the reader itself but I see a lot of solder connections. If the reader is soldered on with dozens of connections that would be a bummer to replace. Too bad it is not just a separate part with a connecting cable. In any event if you could remove/modify/cut/dremel/desolder the cover you could prob bend the pin back easily- just be very careful as you only have so many times you can ben before the pin will just break off. I also do not see a service manual online which might have parts list either.
NOTE- just found pic of backside of that PCB and uploaded full res with same addition to caption) Looks like the shield/cover might be nounted to plastic mounts that connect to the PCB- in any event there is the mechanism push button that ejects the card also i see so be very careful or have someone who is experienced do it for you.

I actually uploaded the full res version of that pic for you the caption is"where the magic happens (full res for user with CF reader issues)"

https://plus.google.com/photos/10526638 ... 2962429217

Orig SP forums topic where I linked first time:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16967&hilit=555+mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:09 am 

Wow, thank you very very much. I'm going to give it a shot, I think I can handle it now that I have an idea of what I'm working with. I appreciate these pics especially. I'll post how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 am 

Good luck! Make sure you stay organized- lots of screws and cables- but not hard. All those pics I took were to share but primarily to keep track of all the parts etc.
C