It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:59 am

Post subject: someone please help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:54 am 

i cannot get the 'Roll' button to work. i dont understand what i am doing wrong. it will not Roll anything. my samps, demo samps, nothing. any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 am 

its probably a defective unit. Roll is pretty strait foward. Hold down the roll button while u hold a pad down and it will roll for as long as u hold them down.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:32 pm 

:(

yeah - that's what i thought. nothing happens. if i hold the Roll button and then hit a pad - it just stops the pad from playing....

(sigh...) guess i gotta call zzounds >:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Does this happen on all pads you use roll on? Perhaps the actual part of your samples that get rolled is the part where your sample has no sound?

I had this problem with my SP-606 on one pad too and it was simply a matter of editing the sample so it didn't have this long recorded nothing before the actual sound came.

Still... if you didn't even hear a humming sound or some clicks or whatever I fear you might have a defect unit indeed.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:12 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
Does this happen on all pads you use roll on? Perhaps the actual part of your samples that get rolled is the part where your sample has no sound?

I had this problem with my SP-606 on one pad too and it was simply a matter of editing the sample so it didn't have this long recorded nothing before the actual sound came.

Still... if you didn't even hear a humming sound or some clicks or whatever I fear you might have a defect unit indeed.

Good thinking. Thats possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 am 

it happens on all pads. the unit is defective. i thought it was me at first and that maybe i was doing something wrong but you guys are right - it's a pretty cut and dry kind of thing. got a new on one the way. thanks for the fast replies :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:46 am 

that sucks.....how long do you have to wait? i hope not long!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:29 am 

ok guys. got the replacement unit. still cant get the 'Roll' button to do anything. what are the chances of getting 2 defective brand new units? the answer is - not likely.

so - what am i doing wrong? using the pre-loaded samples (Bank A) i cannot get it to work. using a recorded sample that is just some weird synth noises and no silence in the beginning doesn't work.

here is what i am doing (using pre-loaded sample Bank A):

1) press Roll and then hit any pad (1-16). this makes the Roll button light but i dont get any sound. nothing happens at all.

2) play preset samples 11-16 and in the middle of the sample press the Roll button - nothing happens. the sample keeps on playing like normal.

3) if i hit Roll and then Hold - the Roll button stays lit. if i hit any lit pad (1-16 preset Bank A) then none of the pads play.

so... i must be doing something wrong. can someone up a video of them using it or a detailed explanation as to how it is supposed to work? i thought - well maybe it wont work on the pre-loaded samples on Bank A. but even when i record my own stuff into the sampler - the Roll button seems to have no effect. the only rolling i can do is with the MFX DJFX Looper button :(

i can't believe i am this obtuse. please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 am 

press and hold roll then hit the pad. that might do it. i got it to work on a floor model the other day but wasn't as intuitive as i had expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 am 

^ doesn't work. does a tempo or something have to be running?

i thought it was just basically a retrigger button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:22 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

It is. I'm pretty confident your unit is broken. Perhaps they accidentally send you the 'old' one you send in for repair?

It should really work quite easily, especially right out the box when no settings have been changed (I mean roll speeds / intervals ).

Chances are slim, but I think it's still broken...

By the way;

Quote:
3) if i hit Roll and then Hold - the Roll button stays lit. if i hit any lit pad (1-16 preset Bank A) then none of the pads play.

That really should have worked.... Normally you press and hold the roll button (without pressing the [ hold ] button, but just keeping your finger on the [ roll ] button ) and then press a pad you want to roll. Using [ hold ] will make sure that all pads roll ... if none of it works with the default Bank A then it's definitely still broken.. :(

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:19 pm 

i just got off the phone with roland and yep - i got a second faulty unit.

this blows. they dont know if it was a bad production run or what. the third one is on its way from zzounds... ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:42 am 

Hyde wrote:
i just got off the phone with roland and yep - i got a second faulty unit.

this blows. they dont know if it was a bad production run or what. the third one is on its way from zzounds... ugh.

hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Be the time my laptop will be back to me it'll have been 5-6-7 weeks... ridiculous, i lost all faith in dell... should have just bought a mac.

Sennheiser HD600
Motu Traveler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Multiple faulty 555's from the factory, that's crappy. That's why I only buy the tried and true these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:59 pm 

Thank the Lord mine works fine. I think u just wasted some lottery winning type luck on faulty SPs yo :)