It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:33 am

Post subject: Compatible Compact Flash Cards
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:36 am 

These are ones that sp-users have said work. If you have the same type and it doesn't work then you most likely have a bad card which has come up a few times on this forum. I would suggest getting a refund or exchange it for a new one, even of the same type.

Running list of ones that work:
    2GB, 1gb, 512mb Ultra II Sandisk
    JAMedia 2gb
    2gb compactflash sandisk (red and blue)
    Verbatim 2GB (green)
    Digital Media - Simple Tech 64mb, 128mb
    Xtra Speed 256mb
    Dane-Elec 1GB
    Sandisk Extreme 3 2GB
    Digitex CompactFlash 1GB

Ones with issues:
    Kingston CF/1GB (with the flower on it) -could have been a bad card
    Lexar 2gb premium series 80x -could have been a bad card
    Lexar 128mb 8x

Just got one for my sp-555 and it doesn't seem to work. It's a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB. sdcfh1024901. It will format on the sp-555 and I can load samples onto it. However if I try to hook it up with a card reader to the wave converter program, the program says "the selected drive is not for the sp-555." Then, if I format the card on the sp-555 then load the program I can load and play samples via card reader fine. But then if I try and put it in the sp-555 and try and select one of the C-J banks, C-J buttons will blink at me and the display will read "fMt" (format) and will only let me format the card again before I can do anything.

It won't move samples between my PC to the sp-555 via the card and a card reader. Any ideas?

Last edited by lotspoop on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Compatible Compact Flash Cards
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:48 am 

lotspoop wrote:
It's a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB.

i have this same card and it works fine on my SP-404
maybe it's a faulty card, or there's something up with the reader?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:54 am 

Hmmm I just noticed that the beginning of anything I sample is really static-y and garbled sounding. I guess it's a bad card but I would think that a bad card wouldn't operate at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 am 

Try sampling something to banks a-b. If those are staticy then its not your card. The card reader program seems to not work to great. The one time I Tried to use it didnt work... said the same thing. Your probably better off importing stuff the old fashioned SP404 way. Its in the manual somewhere...im not quite sure how to do it.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 am 

Sampling to the internal banks is fine. Sample to a card bank and it crackles and pops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:05 am 

I use a sandisk ultra II in my 606 too; they are usually really good cards.

These machines all transfer via usb though, so as Frantic said, check the manual on how to do it. And get a replacement card..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 am 

The manual needs a change. If you look under the sp-555 manual "Importing audio files" section, you'll actually have to do the first 3 steps under "Exporting audio files" before [cancel] + [resample] will do anything. That stumped me for a bit.

Anyways, I tried exporting a pad as an audio file and that didn't seem to work. There are 5 new files (though I selected 15 pads) in the root folder of the compact flash card but they certainly aren't .wav of .aiff like they should be.

The USB functions for the sp-555 seems to only allow for "resampling" via USB like as an audio interface and not a straight up file transfer like "this snare hit to pad C-5" or whatever. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong? The manual only seems to suggest changing the audio signal flow through USB.

But I guess the main point of this is that, if I'm trying to sample to a card bank C-J, and my audio is bad, then the card is bad, right? I guess I should fix that first. It works, sort of, so this makes me think this type of card isn't compatible though it is compatible with 404s and 606s, but any sp-555 sandisk 1gb ultra II users?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 am 

Well I went with a 2GB Ultra II Sandisk compact flash card and that did the trick. Sampling to the card is clean and the Wave converter works fine. That other card was definitely bad which is weird because I would have thought it would work all or nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 am 

lotspoop wrote:
Well I went with a 2GB Ultra II Sandisk compact flash card and that did the trick. Sampling to the card is clean and the Wave converter works fine. That other card was definitely bad which is weird because I would have thought it would work all or nothing.

I`ve bought the same card for my 555 thanks for the advice the 2GB Ultra II Sandisk works fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm 

Hi everybody,

Just took delivery of my 2nd user SP-555 a few hours ago, I inserted a 1gb Kingston CF card and was most distressed to hear all the cracking and popping which so many others of you report when trying to record a sample.

As the samples stayed clean when recorded on the internal memory I thought that it might be an incompatible card causing the problem. I dug out and old Roland 64mb card, slotted it in the SP-555 and the samples on all the banks recorded fine.

So I guess this post is to say hello to everyone and to ask what cards definitely work for you all in this machine?

From previous posts I can see that the 2GB Ultra II Sandisk seems to be OK but are there any others which are guaranteed to function correctly?

I'm a 52 year old guitarist in a reggae band by the way, so to me this machine is a bit like rocket science!! I'm guessing therefore that a few more dumb questions might be heading your way in the near future, please allow me to apologise in advance.

All the best from the UK, Charlie. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm 

Hi Charlie!!!
:D
I use a JAMedia 2gb that (I think) I paid too much for but it works great.
Hope that helps and glad you are here.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:27 am 

Thanks for that FOC, sadly the JAmedia cards aren't available here in the UK though, what a backward little island we are :lol:

Getting to know my way around the 555 now although after six hours of solid manual reading I have the Mother of all headaches, I think I'm suffering from a bad case of 'old dogs new tricks syndrome' :cry:

Dare say I'll get there in the end though, my OCD does come in useful sometimes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:55 am 

Bananepoep wrote:
lotspoop wrote:

I`ve bought the same card for my 555 thanks for the advice the 2GB Ultra II Sandisk works fine :D

hi my youtube friend!... :P

this cards are available here in argentina, i buy one in this week

http://www.reverbnation.com/vivipedraglio
http://www.soundcloud.com/vivipedraglio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:48 pm 

king_stubby wrote:
1gb Kingston CF card

Can you be more specific? Which kind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:06 pm 

Hi Lotspoop :lol:

The cards I tried to use in the machine (I bought two of them d'oh!) were the standard Kingston CF cards, you know, the ones with a picture of a pretty pink flower lon the front, I believe they write at about 40x.

Here's a link....

http://www.probsolvexpress.com/products.asp?partno=CF/1GB&ref=googleFeed

I tried these cards in my Edirol R1 wav recorder as well and they didn't work in that either, perhaps it could be just a faulty batch.

Have just ordered a Sandisk Ultra II, hopefully I'll have a bit more luck with that one!