It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Post subject: Pattern Select Mode Secrets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:46 am 

Look I've been a fucking user of this lovely device for a while but yet to make a beat song I mean all I can do is make loops up to this point so what came across my mind is the wierd pattern select mode, I need an expierenced triple 5 user to explain there process of hip hop/electronic beatmaking from the loop process to the mark process give THE COMMUNITY A REAL POST and stop with holding fucking art that translates differently with different brain neurons. SO PLEASE stop withholding info that you think is unique cause we all just want to make bangers. Don't give me the whole "it's what you put in" NO I NEED A STEP BY STEP PROCESS cause I find this fucking forum to be pretty useless without any tutorials, the manual doesn't even explain what to do just more like a thing where here's what this shit could do now it's up to you to figure out how to understand structure of the process.. Well I speak for everyone that hardly post shit THAT WE NEED GUIDANCE

Post subject: Re: Pattern Select Mode Secrets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 pm 

I agree that everyone seems to do their music their own way and it can be hard to push everyones snippets of work flows together.

Personaly I use loop capture to grab samples and never the actual sampler.

I focus on getting the long playing sample in time (long playing sample = the one sample that is the length of the loop and everything else is saved over).

Then either use one of the overdub methods (ie the resample technique or the loop capture itself), or use the sequencer to layer up. - I use the sequencer coz it squares off the sample should I have got the captuer part a bit wrong.

I don't use mark as I find loop capture works very well to set the length of the sample and it has a pedal which frees the hands. I never bother with the mark key anymore accept to remove the extra marks loop capture sometimes puts in to keep me on my toes.

If you are ending up with loads of single loops that don't go together you need to work on getting lots of slighty different 'long playing samples' from the same source. - I use a bass or 6 string guitar

If you used the sequencer you can copy the sequence and edit one part of it to form a sense of progression. - I do this a bit

If you find that your music feels like it stops between patterns then try
capturing each of the patterns in the loop capture and record these patterns (now samples) into a mega-mix-extended-entire-song length pattern.

Note that now you can have different tempos because your next gen samples can be from any sequence.

Repeat until death.

More? Try capturing two short patterns that don't go together against a metronome in the loop capture (or on a multitrack / PC / echo from a large cave) and overdub a sample linking them together. If this didn't work then 1) you used the wrong sample. Or 2) you ought to sell your sampler and have settle down and start a family coz you'll have no time to worry about samplers then!

This is all a collage of stuff I picked up off of these pages - are you still missing anything?

I would also be interested to hear how others do it differently?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 pm 

When I first got the 555, I had plenty ideas of what to sample, but putting it all together - the right key, the right drums, timing , tempo - didn't quite sync up with me. It's practice, luck, and yes "what you put in" as people like to say. A couple points:

1. I think the sequencer is easier to learn on, i NEVER clicked with the resample method. With the sequencer you can say, build up drum patterns, using a mix of quantized and non quanitzed passes. Then copy that to a new pad, try some samples over it. Sounded shitty? Delete it, copy your clean drums to it and start again.

2. Try the Arena battles, even if you *don't submit* the beat. Here is why; you'll have a drum break or samples picked out, and usually a regular song to deconstruct. Practice your tap tempo, timing is a big deal. Work on chopping the beat on the 1s and 3s (bass and snare) if it's 4/4....or chop random pieces, reverse them, add effects, create something new.

The experience of working with those easy to use pieces (drums/full song) that someone else picked is a great way to learn. Then listen to what people came up with, and ask how they did it...most of us are very open to share knowledge.

3. Use loop capture to experiment with stuff - layer 2 snares, or layer the same one first with say a filter, next with bit crush. Turn on the metronome and try to sample a perfect 4 bar sample , could be from youtube, an instrument, found sounds whatever. Find the rhythm and syncopation there before it goes to a pad. Or save as you go, layer at a time, to a pad until you've built up little "loop" pads that you can use in a sequence to drop parts in and out

4. Knowing another instrument/music theory helps alot....I think some people (I don't know your story so no offense) have very very little musical knowledge/timing/pitch recognition and don't understand why they can't produce "bangers" like other producers, who are actually multi-instrumentalists or seasoned DJs before they get into samplers and that's a huge advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 pm 

So another idea that struck me when I was re-reading this today.

Layer up a multi layered complex sequence and copy it to another sequence.

Then remove the other half of the layers from one and the other layers from the other sequence.

Capture them both in the loop capture and save as samples.

Then you have two loops on two pads that work both together. Now you can also start loop 1 and then loop two on the next down beat. And intentialy drift them apart by stuttering the 2nd loop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:30 pm 

I wouldn't get too worried about music theory.

Getting into music should be about feeling and expression, and not who knows the correct word for a quarter note or whatever.

Theory people forget that any language is about communication and not about using their new word of the day to confuse others. Music theory is in many ways pointless for you working on your own right now.

If you are sampling different bits of the same song then you are likely to find theory far less important again, as someone already has done the years of hard musicality already in laying down the original track. Just don't add your bass stuff over bass stuff and mid stuff over mid stuff coz you will get a noisy mess (unless you like mess).

The one rule you need when starting out is keep it simple. If your premise is crap or a blatant copy of someone else’s hard work, then adding layers to hide it under wont make the crap sound less crap or the hot goods sound less stolen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:49 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Gary_Rock wrote:
I wouldn't get too worried about music theory.

Theory people forget that any language is about communication and not about using their new word of the day to confuse others.

Musical education is not a theory it is a science and I am fairly certain uneducated people have trouble communicating anything let alone musical ideas. Although we can autotune our voice and chords in ableton, people should strive to create without a crutch from time to time.

HARD WORK IS THE BIGGEST SECRET EVER YOU ARE WELCOME.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am 

Well not to pick hairs but Wiki says:

"Music theory is the study of how music works. It examines the language and notation of music."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

My point is that there is little point in learning a whole bunch of theory and being rubbish at playing your instrument, whatever that might be.

And that how much music theory does a sample based musician who works on his own really need. All the music theory is already contained on the recording that you are using. What do you need to know here apart from counting 4?

Telling beginners to not play their instrument but to study dry music theory is pointless.

If they want it later they can read up on it in context without getting bogged down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 pm 

i'm all for helping others out, this is a community after all. not sure if demanding help will bring the best results though. you'd probably get more out of people if you give something up first. nobody really taught me how to make beats, its best to teach yourself through trial and error. the game is so flooded with wackness right now we almost need that barrier to entry back to deter people who are not serious. I guess more people in the game means more new and cheaper gear though

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I've helped so many people on here and shared my production techniques in posts and videos. Of course someone should practice their instrument that is a fucking given! No one on this forum advocates for only music theory and no practical application. I would like to see you try to quote anything from wikipedia in university or to any person of reasonable education to support an argument/ Oh what you mean you don't trust the source that anyone can modify..........sure :roll: By the way the colloquial expression you are trying to use is "splitting hairs"
FUCK THE DUMB :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 pm 

Euclid Ov Oåklånd wrote:
I've helped so many people on here and shared my production techniques in posts and videos. Of course someone should practice their instrument that is a fucking given! No one on this forum advocates for only music theory and no practical application. I would like to see you try to quote anything from wikipedia in university or to any person of reasonable education to support an argument/ Oh what you mean you don't trust the source that anyone can modify..........sure :roll: By the way the colloquial expression you are trying to use is "splitting hairs"
FUCK THE DUMB :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha - I've upset you haven't I? I think you hide it well but I have a sixth sense on these things and I'm going out on a limb here to say that you felt my debate on this point is in some way a dig at you? ;)

Sorry that you didn't like my link - I often use links to add weight to my points and not just proclaim my own words as fact based on some chip on my shoulder (and rather than needlessly picking at other peoples syntax).

Careful here is another one.. It turns out the internet is full of links!!
http://www.idiomeanings.com/idioms/split-hairs/
I'm suprised you haven't heard that saying before, being a university man and all. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:22 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

That's fine, you still typed pick hairs not "split" you idiot, are you a monkey grooming your family? I'm just in awe of the idiots like you that post here, so go fuck your self and have a whack day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am 

Once again - thanks for your valued input on this thread.

Ooo name calling and monkey jokes - isn’t sir a card!

I'm sorry that other people have opinions that are different from yours and that you view them as stupid. This is unfortunate because on a public internet forum, other people will often have differing opinions from your own and the lively debate that follows isn't actually anyone 'getting at you'. Also note that your childish and arrogant attitude and name calling doesn't actually help you make points.

I didn’t realise that I needed an English degree in order to post on here, in the same way I didn’t realise that I needed to be well read in music theory in order to use what, let’s face it, is a glorified tape recorder. You’re not bloody Mozart here mate!

But hey I’m a peace loving dude so let’s just call it a day shall we? Move on? Or, if you like, maybe I can badger some of your posts? Pick holes in your really rather odd logic? Call you and your family names? Further tarnish what is otherwise a very friendly forum to be on?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

When someone suggests to not worry about music theory on a site dedicated to making music I have an issue with that. Even though it takes minimal skill to operate a glorified tape recorder as you put it, it takes something much deeper to do something creative. Musical theory although not needed in order to make sounds, it does help a person understand and further explore the relation of the sounds and energy they are working with.
I'm sorry for being an asshole and jumping on you for a comment that has no reflection on who you really are

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 am 

No problem - peace

Having never got into music theory and also having worked with many other musicians over the years, I tend to disagree. In my experience if Mr I'm grade blah at blah turns up to a jam, he tends to find jamming and writing a hard and ridged process and usually his actual playing skills are lacking. At the end of the day its about product and playing skills.

For me music is something I feel and I don't believe a book can tell me what to feel (without getting into religion here coz that’s probably even more contentious). Sometimes when I need a bit of theory I can dip into it, but I would argue strongly that that is different to a beginner getting bogged down in too much theory too early on and never learning that you can play a note. Or you can play a note.

I tell you what, lets open the debate on another thread so others can join in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

You make a good point there. I also realized the sentiment of your statement was for people new to music not to get held back. I like to learn theory because it interests me intellectually and I've been trying to teach myself piano and guitar. I guess I have been making beats for a while and and this point in my personal development as an artist I enjoy a little more info than I could have previously handled. That being said I always try and help new people with some quick tools or scenarios to get the spark in their mind.