It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

Post subject: Metronome Output in SP 555!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:04 am 

I would like to know if there's a way to choose the metronome's output so as not to hear it when playing live. For example, setting it's output to the headphones only and not through the main outs.

I'm thinkg of buying one but I want to make shure I can use it as a live performance sequencer, kind of a MPC, so I don't want the click to be heard by the audience :p

Thanks a lot!! Your help will be really appreciated since I can't find any threads about this.

Post subject: Re: Metronome Output in SP 555!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:27 am 

Hm, I'm not sure if you can do this on the 555. Its default on the mpc I think, but you can set which output the metronome goes to so you can sort of work around and send it to a channel that only your phones will hear. Never heard of a dj keeping a side metronome. By the time you play it live it should be intuitive. But you might have to get an external metronome and midi sync it to your machines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:39 am 

I'm new in this, but how do you keep up with the bpm when you want to create a sequence from scratch live? That's what I can't figure out. Imagine I hit REC in the 555 and the sequence lenght is 4/4 and the bpm is 120. Should I just look at the tap tempo button blinking? Sorry for the dumb question but as I said, I really don't know how this works.
Thanks!

springwater wrote:
Hm, I'm not sure if you can do this on the 555. Its default on the mpc I think, but you can set which output the metronome goes to so you can sort of work around and send it to a channel that only your phones will hear. Never heard of a dj keeping a side metronome. By the time you play it live it should be intuitive. But you might have to get an external metronome and midi sync it to your machines.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 am 

Yeah that's odd isn't it! Never thought of this as I use mine at home. I guess they are meant to be samplers rather than production studios so the Bpm comes from the record being sampled in that case.

A couple of work arounds off the top of my head.

If you use loop capture you can grab your long sample first and drum over the top without the metronome sounding. Once a loop is recorded the lights show the bars passing too.

Another thing you could do is use the roll key to play stuff against the internal bpm.
Ie set the roll interval and hold it down while you trigger the first sample - im not in front of my 555 to try that out right now though!

Saying all this I'm not even sure if the pattern metronome sounds over the line out does it? Need to check this next time I get some music playtime :/

I know the normal metronome and line in click off once a loop capture is complete and loop playback begins, so if you are using a dj mixer you presumably could move over to the loop after a capture.