It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

Post subject: A workflow based on loop capture
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:19 pm 

So I have had so much trouble with loop capture and I’ve been bad mouthing it on here for an age, so I just wanted to put the record straight and describe how I now use loop capture now and how it has become the centre of my workflow. Maybe this will help others.

1) Capturing a loop. This is where I came unstuck for ages. There are loads of posts on here with recording silence first or using the 2/4 bar setting or whatever. I have not made that work for me.

I use this easy way to use loop capture and successfully capture a loop with feeling every time. You do this using the free setting, the metronome and the damper pedal. I play the loop through a couple of times without recording against the metronome and I pedal in to start the loop capture on the first note I want to capture and then I pedal out on the point I want the loop. Just like a looper pedal.

2) Save to pad button (sometimes this appears to cut the loop in half, but press the Mark key to remove the odd loop point and its fine).

3) The sample has an odd number stored and this isn’t the blah BPM that you had on the metronome – this doesn’t matter!!

4) When you have captured a few loops using loop capture, you can grab the whole sample back off the pad perfectly into the loop capture without losing any of the original length! Set the Auto Start and press the sample you want to capture (seems to capture the whole beginning without issue I guess coz its all internal), then press the loop pedal where the loop feels like it is going to loop (you looped it so you know where it loops). If you grabbed the whole loop it OK that odd number on the sample will match the odd number for the sample in the loop capture. I have found this to be perfect 99% of the time – if it’s one out or whatever grab it again.

5) Now you can store a sample on the pads and layer it up with all different drums in the loop capture and save the different versions back to the pads.

For me Loop Capture has become a fantastic feature on this amazing piece of kit. Now I just use the sampler for the resample which I use as a song recorder.

Post subject: Re: A workflow based on loop capture
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 pm 

...and assuming you can grap the samples off of the pads without using the auto start.

You can use the same technique of using the free setting but with the Source select set to 'EXT Only' on the loop capture and the loop playing on hold on the pads to grap a seperate loop of instrumentation from the inputs of exactly the same length.

So I capture a load of bass guitar riffs onto the pads and then loop one of them on the pads using hold. Switch on the Ext and do some hand drums into a mic pressing the pedal like when you want to grab the looping sample and you get another loop of exatly the same length - that don't drift apart. (check it has the same odd number)

If your sampled drums are coming off of another bit of kit (2nd sampler or drum machine) you can capture them too.

Loop capture is freekin awsome!