It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Post subject: Formatting CF card won't work - help appreciated
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:05 pm 

Hi - this is my first attempt at formatting a CF card. Ive read the other threads on it. But they don't seem to have the same problem.
My 555 is v1.04.
Card is Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s 2GB
When I turn on the 555 I push CANC&REMAIN
Banks C_F Flash
I hit one of these
DEL flashes
I hit DEL and the display does not have 3 dots on it, it just returns to the standard BPM
Then when i hit banks C-F they are flashing still and DEL is flashing still.
Any help really appreciated.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Formatting CF card won't work - help appreciated
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm 

Is the card new or used? Was it formatted on another device (like a camera or somethinng)?

This is exaclty what happened to me with a SP-404 and a faulty Dane-Elec 1GB card (among other, very weird, things).

I guess you can try formatting it on a computer first and then trying to format it on the SP-555 - I just can't remember what format it's supposed to be (FAT16/FAT32), sorry. I think there's some info about that somewhere on the forums.

Although I've had a faulty SP-555 before, all it did was make a big leds spectacle, not affecting the card reader or anything else in terms of functionality - so it's unlikely to be a problem with the unit itself.

It could be the case that you've got a faulty card (which is not a common thing with Sandisk, but happens) or perhaps a counterfeit one? Maybe you can try and check with both Sandisk and whom you bought it from.

From what I get you're stuck in the format prompt, so it's not possible to access banks C-J - that means it's not a case of having memory protect on (I believe that would prevent you from formatting a card).

That's all I can think at the moment.

Last edited by sharpmotif on Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:56 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah it's a new card - bona fide seller, packaging etc.
I'm totally stumped by this and it's very annoying only having one bank of samples.
Thanks again
n

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 pm 

It's probably a faulty card then. I believe Sandisk has a policy for that and it's definitely still under warranty. It should be easy to return it and get a new one.

Like I said, it's very unlikely that your SP-555 has a faulty card reader. Then again, the only way to be sure is to try another card with it and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm 

I am having this same problem right now and was hoping someone could help. I'm positive it's not my card (I have the same one) because I've been able to use it on another sp-555 without any problems. I think I used the wrong power cord at one point (spd-s) and the next time I tried to use the 555 it wouldn't read my card or re-format it. Is it possible that using the spd-s power cable ruined the board on my 555?

Has anyone sent a broken 555 to Roland for repairs? I'm a little hesitant to because I don't want to waste $60 if they can't fix it.