It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

Post subject: Loop Capture to Pad Updates?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:58 am 

I do not yet own an Sp-555. I plan to when I get the cash.

Right now, I know that the loop you record has to stop when transfering to a pad. I just want to know if this can be fixed in a firmware update so that loops can be transfered seamlessly. OR is this hardware issue. That is to say... if Roland were to adress this would they release it in the form of a firmware update or would they have to release the SP-666.

Part of the reason I havn't already run out and baught an 555 with my visa (debt aside) is because of this feature. Its the only thing blocking this machine from being absolutely perfect for what I am looking for.

Thnx :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:49 pm 

I honestly really doubt roland will fix this. Its a great machine but on its own its probably not gonna cut it as a standalone live looper. You could always get 2 of em with a DJ mixer and there you got a CRAZY live setup :)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:54 am 

haha.. yeah if only... that would be sweet.

Well its too bad. I often feel it is a deliberate thing when a company makes product work so well but leaves out one feature that another one of their products does better (i.e. BOSS RC50)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:53 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Perhaps it would be possible to change things in the firmware making it able to select a different pad than the 'PLAY' pad where you record the loop capture too.

It would be awesome if the loop capture could record to any pad on a Compact Flash card with even more time than just 15 seconds.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but yeah, a firmware update would definitely be required.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:17 pm 

thankfully it does seem like alot of people are getting into the 555. especially cats who play live. I would say this thing has the best chance out of all the SPs to be hacked :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 pm 

i've had the sp-555 for a week or two and here are some of the things i've noticed...

-correct me if i'm wrong. why the heck are you going to hook it up USB, but then have to eject the Compact Flash card, put in a card reader,and then put it back in the machine (which by the way, i purchased an Adata-Speedy 2gb card and it was not compatible, be careful).. that's just silly. i mean, you are connecting it directly to your pc ?!?! shouldn't that be enough to send and recieve data. from experience, mechanical features are sure to fail eventually.

-Pads take a little while getting used to. You may hit the pad once and somehow it wobbles a bit and you actually make it hit twice. only sometimes, though.

-The machine is pretty deep! Lots of features embedded, such as... turning the machine on holding buttons, or pressing buttons simultaneously. which can only be taken advantage of when you read the manual. It's not a toy, although it is fun.

-The knobs are great, the effects are really nice.

-Not really sure about this either, but... I know you can use the SP555 as your soundcard, and send the audio from your pc to the sp. very cool! you can sample from your pc that way, directly through usb. but... my question is... can you send TO your pc from your usb connection? for example.. you have your dj mixer output going into your sp-555, and then you record the output of your sp-555 on your pc (via sub)? that way it would be direct, no need for additional wires.. and would simplify things when using with a laptop.. and you know the laptop guys never put a "line in" on there!?! if anyone knows a bit about that, please post, or pm. thanks.

other than that, i recommend to anyone that really wants a deluxe loop capture feature.... look into the pvdj grabber, or the redsound soundbite pro (est.$375). i've got the grabber and that thing is wonderful for only $80-ish bucks. the grabber doesn't save (non-volatile), but the soundbite pro has usb connectivity and you can save the loops you record. (really nice feature). but the looping is more of what some people on here are looking for. Never stops the audio, and works well when used with a dj mixer. Highly recommended for synths, mic-work, and of course, beats. check it out.

i'm happy with my sp-555 and see that the machine's got lots of potential.. i can't wait for a hack and an update.. fix the usb sample transfer situation!!! please!!! (or someone tell me if i'm wrong)... All post more findings/review/critique as I get more familiar. I encourage others to do the same. Thanks, and may your beats be phat az hayell!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 pm 

On the usb thing... I think in order for it to be a full soundcard it cant be a card reader just using usb1. I think thats why akai joints are only card readers. But I could be wrong. And yes... the 555 can record audio and recieve audio. You can even hook up a condensor mic and track vocals onto your computer thru it !

Post subject: Just got an SP-555
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:04 pm 

I am having blast so far. This kind of sampling is new to me. I am an experienced guitar looper but want to do more with my hands so I thought this would be the good transition point.

Anybody know if you can control the looper with midi or can you only use a foot pedal?

Another question on my mind is if there is a way to get note on/off messages sent from the the pads as they loop. Or can this only be done when sequencing?

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm 

driz wrote:
-Pads take a little while getting used to. You may hit the pad once and somehow it wobbles a bit and you actually make it hit twice. only sometimes, though.

Yeah, i've had that a few times too. I guess I need to aim a bit better, because it happens sometimes when you don't strike the middle of the pads. I agree that this can be bothersome, esp. live, but apart from that I think the pads are the best I've had experience with so far.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:23 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

This happens with my 303 pads and it does take time to get used to, but that's one of my favorite features now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:58 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
driz wrote:

Yeah, i've had that a few times too. I guess I need to aim a bit better, because it happens sometimes when you don't strike the middle of the pads. I agree that this can be bothersome, esp. live, but apart from that I think the pads are the best I've had experience with so far.

funny...thats never happened to me with ne of the SPs. Yall must be doin it wrong 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I'm talkin' about be able to make double hits on the pads not having a missed hit. There's a certain way to play the 303 pads to get the best effect IMO. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:46 pm 

Quote:
Dr.Sample 303 sed: This happens with my 303 pads and it does take time to get used to, but that's one of my favorite features now.

After playing with the sp-555 for a good 6 hours, i'm starting to agree with you. I think its just the nature of the buttons. They are designed kind of loose so that they are sensitive from every angle. Sometimes when you hit the pad, let's say from the right side, i notice that the pad kinda rolls internally and produces a quick double-tap. I'm kinda diggin it, because when i sequence (quantized), it doesn't show up. And when I'm just flipping samples, i can get some crazy fast double hits.

Now there is one thing that I'm wondering about. and that is.. "replacing samples". Let's say that you have some samples stored and then you make a pattern. OK. Then let's say you keep working and then you develop about 6 patterns using those samples. HERE's MY ?: Let's say I wanted to switch or resample one of the pads with effects or maybe replace the sample with the "Wav-Writer" app (on the card)... is there a way that I can replace that sample and have it still in all those patterns? That would be really , really , really productive! You could continue the work flow process. Make sense?

OH, and don't chance it.... get ONLY the flash card listed in the manual. yeah. it don't like dem o'er ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:45 am 

Up to now it seems to be able to handle all my flash cards, some are of a brand x type of el cheapo quality, but they get the job done so to speak.

As for 'replacing samples', I think this is very possible, because the SP 555 seems to simply remember which pads were pressed and how the quantize settings were, but I don't think it really cares which samples is really on the pad. You should try it out though. 8)

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm 

If the 555 is the same as the 606 the samples will remain in the pattern when you change them on the pads.

I discovered this when replacing the preset samples - the preset patterns were still there but now they played with different samples.