It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 pm

Post subject: Buying a 303 or 404- QUESTIONS!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:13 am 

this is my first post, and i'm about as much of a "noob" as there can be

so, i've been looking into buying either a 303 or a 404 for some time now. i have no experience with samplers at all, but i've been making music through other means for a couple of years now (mostly with my best friend, who uses logic) using strictly guitar/bass/drums/piano. to be honest, i didn't hear about the sp's until i looked into what panda bear used to make "person pitch" (phenomenal record), but when i found out i kinda decided i really REALLY wanted one. what he does on that record is exactly the type of technique that i'm interested in experimenting with. also, i know the guys in animal collective use it as well, and i love everything they've done. basically, i'm looking to do some cool lo-fi sampling and probably layer some vocals and instruments on top of it. so my question is, as a beginner, do i go for the 303 or 404? also, where can i go to find the best deals on either of these? i'm looking hopefully to spend around or under $250.

just really psyched right now at the prospect of making music with one of these samplers. i'll be purchasing most likely in the next week or two. any help that you guys can give me is tremendously appreciated. thanks so much. sorry for the long post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:54 am 

bump. again, anything and everything is much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 am 

With $250, you could pick up either (ebay or craigslist). I have a 303 and I love it. For most people, though, I would suggest a 404 because it is basically a beefed up 303. More pads, cards are easier to find, much faster, battery powered, few more efx, pattern changes that are on-time, etc etc.

The 303 is a little bit smaller, and in my opinion looks much better. And then there is the sound difference that has caught a lot of attention. Many people (including myself) will say that the 303's sound is either warmer or grittier. But that's not to say that the 404 has a poor sound. Just different.

Everyone here will agree that they are both dope machines!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:46 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I love my 303, but I want a 404 too. I would also recommend the 404 since it has more features etc. like Olerud said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:43 am 

thank you so much for the responses, guys.

ok, so I think i'm pretty set on the 404 at this point. the added fx plus the availability of the soundcards makes it seems like a pretty clear choice (although i will admit the 303 looks cooler).

my question now is this: what's a good price to look to pay for a 404? should i go used? is it worth it to by new? what things should i consider?

again, thanks so much for the help

-dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 am 

All of my music gear I bought used, with very different results. It's a risk you just have to decide for yourself.

Just check on eBay to see what prices are like, you can usually find them sold with a memory card or two. I would guess $200-250. good luck man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm 

new 404's aren't so expensive(but more than 250, just not much more), you'll get some kind of warranty and you never know who blew smoke on it, spilled beer on it, whatever if you buy used.

i buy used all the time but my 404 i got new and if i ever were to replace it i would probably buy it new again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:06 pm 

thanks again.

i'm a little hesitant to buy used... the warranty and no-risk factor of buying new is very comfortable, and i see them new on ebay for 330 (free shipping). i think i'll buy new...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:02 am 

yo what's up man I'm pretty much in the same exact spot as you are.
I just want to add that if you buy one new from an authorized Roland
dealer they will send you a free memory card and sample library card.
All you have to do is send them the rebate or something. I think you
can even do it online. www.rolandus.com
good luck man