It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am

Post subject: noob forum
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:42 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Is it just me? or have I been noticing an increase of basic questions about equiptment/production. I also notice it seems like the forum is getting more members lately. For the sake of the noob and experienced members it may work out better if those questions were isolated. Not to put anyone down, I also have noob questions sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Yeah, I agree too. It's good to have a 'frequently asked questions' section. One problem though ... where to put it and should it be a general thread or one for each SP-x0x section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:10 am 

OK so ! did find that the search works best with refresh every time after you hit the back button. My vote is sticky this info; b.w. like "noob questions! read here first." and then like a search first memo and this is how;..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:53 am 

i think we should have it up top not in each sp section...just put an im new forum...they can tell us what kinda sp they have...it would just organize better....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm 

Yeah, I agree. I think one forum would be good, and not an individual one for each SP. Most of the getting started type questions are pretty basic questions that have the same answer no matter what SP you are using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Great idea! This "Beginner's Forum" can contain different topics for each SP (and other gear) with the frequently asked questions.

Anyone will be able to submit a question + answer (possibly taken from an existing post) and it will be added to these FAQs. The topics will be maintained by a moderator to keep it clean but anyone will be able to add Q/A's and suggest changes.

I have been very busy lately but should be able to add it this week or early next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 pm 

Great :-) , I guess in the mean time we should think about gear that we would generally suggest anyways and make a small list.

I'm thinking about the different kinds of samplers, turntables, mixers, (digital) recorders and so on? Perhaps if possible with pros and cons.

Perhaps we can do suggestions here and then one person can make that list nice and clean and add it to the beginners forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

It's here!
viewtopic.php?p=12034

I decided to limit posting to administrators only so we can keep it tidy. Do you people agree with that? Ofcourse anybody can submit their content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:24 pm 

I think it's a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah there has to be some sort of filter so people don't post misinformation which plagues all the other forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 am 

keesj wrote:
It's here!
viewtopic.php?p=12034

I decided to limit posting to administrators only so we can keep it tidy. Do you people agree with that? Ofcourse anybody can submit their content.

not a bad idea but I dont know if cats are gonna get involved if you limit the posting. After some time we will see if thats true or not.

also the FAQ is a good idea but you cant cover every single noob question. I was originally thinking of a forum where beginers can just post basic questions about anything(not just SPs) for example how do I get my recording onto the computer?

I guesse see how it turns out and go from there. Thanks for putting starting the new forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:21 am 
Site Admin

juxt wrote:
keesj wrote:
It's here!
viewtopic.php?p=12034

not a bad idea but I dont know if cats are gonna get involved if you limit the posting. After some time we will see if thats true or not.

also the FAQ is a good idea but you cant cover every single noob question. I was originally thinking of a forum where beginers can just post basic questions about anything(not just SPs) for example how do I get my recording onto the computer?

I guesse see how it turns out and go from there. Thanks for putting starting the new forum.

Well the problem with that it's hard to figure out what's a beginner topic and what is not. Also, if someone decides to create a topic with a "beginner's question" are more advanced answers still permitted? And what about "beginner's answers" for regular topics? Duplicate questions on the other hand are much easier to note and therefor can we made into a Q&A-item.

But like you say we'll see how it goes. I can understand a special forum for beginners would be nice so they don't get confused by the more advanced stuff but spreading the information across multiple sub forums might be even more confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:28 am 

allright, good point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah on the bmw forum that I go to they have a large section of FAQ's about technical stuff that is very common or very simple to fix yourself and I've found it helpful and effective. What I recommend is that if you're on here a lot and find yourself answering the same couple of questions a lot, just write a quick but effective answer to them and submit it to Keesj and he'll post it and sooner or later it will be filled with great info.