It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

Post subject: SP initializes then no samples play
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm 

I bought an SP555 used on eBay and the seller will not answer my emails. When I turn it on it seems to initialize with flashing buttons etc, leaving 2 buttons illuminated and they are the stereo and loop buttons. Is this normal with empty AB banks? The sample buttons will not light or play when depressed. No flashcard came with the unit so I am hoping the original user simply deleted the onboard A and B banks. I have ordered a Roland flashcard and am prepared to download the firmware 1.04 upgrade and the original internal banks. I need to know if the persistent stereo and loop buttons indicate a malfunction. Thanks people.

Post subject: Re: SP initializes then no samples play
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

what happens if you record something to one of the pads?

be aware that you cant switch between stereo/mono except while setting up to record or resample

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 pm 

I recorded with the mic and it played but i didn't know how to enter it into a sample. The power supply quit working around that time so now I have wait on the postman. Should I be able to record audio on an empty bank? Would that be REsampling and there is no sample to over-dub so I assumed it wouldn't work. It is frustrating that I can't learn to operate it when it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:40 am 

first check if memory protection is enabled (see the manual for how to do that)

then you should just be able to press record, select stereo/mono or lofi/not lofi, select the pad to record to, then press record again. (make sure ext in + mic is switched on if you want to record from the builtin mic)

then hit record again to stop the recording,

then press the pad and it should play back what was recorded. if gate is on you will need to hold down the pad for it to keep playing (or switch gate off). if loop is on it will loop continuously, and again you should be able to switch this on/off once there is a sample recorded in the pad.

also make sure youre not in midi controller mode...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 am 

when I turn off protect and press REC that button lights. STEREO is already selected as is LOOP. These will not turn off. the green PLAY light comes on. I select pad one but it does not light press MIC button and REC again: PLAY turns orange and starts to blink. Press pad 1 and nothing happens. I press SAVE tO PAD and all p[ads blink red. I press pad 1 and it lights solid red and SAVE TO PAD blinks. I press and hold down PLAY and I can hear my recorded voice. I press pad one which is still lit and it does nothing. I turn off machine and reinitiate and there is nothing on pad one nor does it light when pressed. I am back to square 1.

Question: If you record your voice on a pad in bank A after that bank has been deleted - - will it work?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 am 

anyway,

It sounds like youre confusing the looper section with the sampling section or trying to do half and half or something... I'm not sure how you came up with that sequence.. also it occurred to me that maybe youre talking about the looper section and not the main sampler section when you talk about lights that wont turn off etc...

also sorry my previous instructions were based off the 404 which has basically the same structure but a couple of the buttons are named different

taken from the quick start guide (which you should download and refer to...)

- press mic, set the phantom power switch to normal. use the mic level knob till you can hear your voice come through it.

- make sure you're not in pattern select mode

- press sampling

- pads which are empty will blink red.. select one. if none are empty, then there might be a blank recording on it, so delete one.

- press sampling

- talk into the mic

- press samlping again

- then when you press (or hold down if its on gate mode) the pad that you recorded to it should play back.

if that doesnt work then I can't really help

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm 

I received the 2G Roland flashcard today and formatted it. I can record mic to samples now but very weak and distorted. Tried onboard mic and condensor mic - same. Very pronounced hum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 am 

Today I formatted the FC and uploaded the V1.04 upgrade via USB cable. I then installed the 15 midi files. I am able to record a mic sample now to the C-J banks but when I turn the machine on the 16 A bank lights will not turn on. No Samples. What else can I try???

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:29 pm 

Still no samples on A and B banks. According to other posts on this forum one does not need the factory settings CD that comes with the machine when new. One is supposed to upgrade the software online and that's it. I uploaded 15 midi files that came with the 1.04 upgrade download and it did not work. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:29 pm 

Thank you for your help. It is now working. Bank A samples cannot be restored by upgrading via the V1.04 upgrade Roland posts on its website. It contains 15 midi files but they will not go into the internal A bank via the USB upload process. It will give your machine V1.04 but your A bank will still be blank. You MUST acquire the Roland CD that comes with a new SP 555. Then if you upload it to your Flashcard and perform the reset procedure on page 50 of the PDF manual you will end up with a full factory reset including the samples in bank A. A local Roland repair shop in Seattle wants $93 to do this for you. I found a helpful person on Craigslist that emailed me the FCTRY\ROLAND folder from his CD. I will share this folder.