It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:35 am

Post subject: Is the 303 all I need?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:06 am 

I've been researching for a while and thinking buying a SP-303 but at this last second I've been struck by the thought that it might be a waste of money if I can't completely produce music solely on that.

I want a machine I can just punch out beats on, some madlib/dilla inspired shit, something that's easy to pick up but that I can take years learning new tricks and make some truly innovative stuff. I was wondering if I needed an MPC to assist this or if what I'm looking to do could be solely done on an SP? If I could hook it up to my computer and recording into a program like Audacity or something? I'd just like some advice before I purchase if anyone has any.

Prices are looking steep too, is £200+ too much to pay? Is there anything else I need?

Post subject: Re: Is the 303 all I need?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

this guy knows really.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 am 

Rabot wrote:
this guy knows really.

I'm sorry, what?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:02 pm 

whats talking about the spam but up there.

I 've had 2 303's at different point in my "career". My point on them is that they are really capable machine, they sound really nice. As for a stand alone machine, they can defenitly do it, the thing is do you have the sample based mind to make it work? It took me quite some time to get to the point where I can visualize a beat/sample and make it work.

Making beat is an art, finding good sample and a creative way to use them is also a part of that.

You could defenitly use that thing alone if that's what you want... considering you have a turntable or any audio source already :)

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 pm 

Rabot wrote:
You could defenitly use that thing alone if that's what you want... considering you have a turntable or any audio source already :)

Well it sounds great but, I have a turntable but I haven't started my collection of sampling records, if you know what I mean, I haven't dug much, just got my collection of stuff I like to listen to.

I was thinking of just using one of those smartmedia cards and moving my samples across from the computer? I was wondering aswell, is it possible to say, play out a beat in real time once it's all structured etc, into a DAW or piece of recording software, say Reaper? would I be able to hook up the sp directly with the computer and record into the computer?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:19 pm 

Dudes like Madlib & Dilla use(d) music they like in their beats (also, weren't all the beats on Madvillain made using an SP303?). You shouldn't need a huge collection of records to make good beats, just a source of music that you like & feel confident with (from records, TV, internet, radio, movies, whatever).

The SP303 is pretty basic as far as samplers go, but it is a good one that you'll probably pick up quicker than an MPC. Plus the SP303 has a nicer sound if you're into lo-fi/grittiness (most MPCs are clean sounding, if you follow). Plus its limitations will get you thinking about doing things that many MPC users don't.

As for recording- yeah Reaper & Audacity will do the job you're after. As long as your PC has an audio in, you'll be fine. Most folk on these forums record in the way you describe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:15 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I'd say most people these days will be happy to get a more sophisticated machine to make music with. If you're cool with the limitations and creative enough to take advantage of that instead of being limited, the SP303 might be for you.

In all other cases though, better go for something like the SP606 instead. Still has limits, but it is a much more complete music production center. Far easier to make music with and just as creative. Perhaps even better.

Then again, don't fall for the old cliché of better pencils making better artists. It's not the tools that define music skill. Tools can make things easier or more limited though, so choose wisely.

8)

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox