It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

Post subject: Re: Roland MS1 vs Yamaha SU10
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 am 

i begin to know more about midi loop tricks after you introduced me to midi madness, man...
imagine that after 14 years i own the remix16, i just start to use this technique since 1 month...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 am 

:D I'm the "midi guy" and you're the loop sampler guru!

Post subject: x
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:40 pm 

x

Last edited by dr5fiend on Sat May 25, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 pm 

The MS-1 doesn't display your BPMs nor does it calculate tempos, sadly. The Yamaha SU-10 on the other hand, can calculate and will automatically display the BPM of your sample. You can even try to do some BPM matching on the SU-10 with some help of your turntable's pitch slide (if you're using the turntable as a sample source, of course).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 pm 

Invisible, I had no idea Sixtoo used the MS-1 on his early shit. Thanks for pointing that out. You're right about the "perfect mix" effect from the MS-1. All your samples are nice and centered. Sort of like that Phil Spector, "Wall of Sound" atmosphere. I guess that's why I love the thing so much.

I have equal love for both the SU-10 and MS. Ellaguru put me down with the SU-10 and it's powerful sample editing. Eliot Lipp schooled me to power of the MS-1. It's amazing how many artists have used the MS over the years. It's certainly not a toy by any means. If there was no MS-1 there'd be no SP series, period. Enough talk about the damn thing.. I'm going to crank out a beat with it after work!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
Invisible, I had no idea Sixtoo used the MS-1 on his early shit. Thanks for pointing that out. You're right about the "perfect mix" effect from the MS-1. All your samples are nice and centered. Sort of like that Phil Spector, "Wall of Sound" atmosphere. I guess that's why I love the thing so much.

I have equal love for both the SU-10 and MS. Ellaguru put me down with the SU-10 and it's powerful sample editing. Eliot Lipp schooled me to power of the MS-1. It's amazing how many artists have used the MS over the years. It's certainly not a toy by any means. If there was no MS-1 there'd be no SP series, period. Enough talk about the damn thing.. I'm going to crank out a beat with it after work!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:

+1, MS-1 sparked the SP-202 and the rest is history.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 pm 

looking at the ms1 manual, i think their almost the same in the edit field (they got loop point,truncate,and copy,and split etc mute groups too) and in sequencing (a consideration: at last i think that the ms1,the su10 and the s20/remix16 were in the same market field: they got the same sample phrase's workflow)...
...the peculiarity of su10 is the pitch play, the pitch scale and the filters on the fx side (i can do without the crappy scratch, it's maybe cool for glitch music -said without irony-), and the ribbon (tip:use this tapping rythmically per points gives you strange and weird results with filters!! the same when it's pitch play running or loop point playing) and the external filtering for other useful features...
...but...
...last night i tried to make the dump of su10 internal samples, it works cool (you have then convert the msds files into wav) but what left me astonished is the fact that this machine don't accept the contrary process: you cannot load neither wav nor msds files into it, damn!!...maybe it was conceived at the time as a machine to treat samples for the pc or other samplers...
Is on this side the ms1 more practical and useful?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 am 

Using a MS-1 with a SU10 would be a nice portable sample tag team. But I first have to pay off 3 samplers, so I just need to hunker down with them all once I get them all home. Not sure if it’s worth using midi with the MS-1 to the 404 or SU10?? That would be some trial & error. But dope if you could!