It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

Post subject: Help on newbie gear decision.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 am 

Hey guys, Long time reader, not so long time poster. I'm in my 2nd month producing with an SP-404 and my trusty tech1200 turntable. I'm liking it so far but for some reason I've always wanted an MPC. Anyway, I've been carefully weighing my options, but since I don't have a whole lot of experience with different gear I'd appreciate your opinions. I apologize if a similar topic has been asked.

If you had a turntable, vinyl and one piece of standalone gear,would you choose the MPC 2000XL like in this ad: http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad ... e_13014116 OR the sp-404 (non-SX)? I'd like to know the pros and cons of this switch. Assuming I'd only pay maybe maximum $100 more for the MPC after I sell my sp-404(if that), thanks a bunch. (Even if I sold my sp-404 I'd still visit this forum pretty often :lol: )

Also, if you live in Canada, how much would you pay for the MPC 2000XL linked above? Thanks!

Edit: Also, Pros of possibly having both(probably not an option for me, but would love insights regardless.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Help on newbie gear decision.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:33 pm 

MPC

Pros:
8 outs
midi out
good sequencer
mute groups
pitching of samples

Cons:
Internal ram
Limited FX
No battery power
cumbersome interface
physical size

SP404

Pros:
Lots of FX
CF storage for lots of samples
Battery Powered
Size
Internal mic
Simple interface

Cons:
No mute groups
No pitching
No screen for graphic wav editing
Pads are not so great

I'd stick with the 404 man. Sampling is not limited to just using your tech1200. Get up and move about go outside and use the built in mic. I'd luv to see you put a mpc2k in your backpack! With a 404 you have more freedom even though it seems you are more limited in functions. Keep stuff simple and it will all fall into place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 pm 
Awesome Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:32 pm 

I'm not personally an MPC fan, but if I had to pick one or the other I would clearly pick the Akai because you can do so much more with that sequencer.

Having both you could use the 404s effects with the MPC and even sequence the 404 from the Akai. It would also be cool to get a mixing board with effects sends and a bunch of external effects and go crazy.

On the Akai I think you could also mute pads while the effects are running, which you can't on the SPs (unless you resample with the effect).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:10 pm 

hi
if you just want to use the 404 for fx or as a sound module check the sp303 too, is very cheap comparing to the 404 and the fx are almost the same...(no battery indeed but there's a thread to make one yourself)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 pm 

Ella, around here a used SP303 goes for $200 while an OG SP404 (non SX) goes for about $150. There's nothing much cheaper than a 404 at the moment.

But back to my suggestion.... Keep the 404 and buy some vinyl, good monitor speakers or any other goodies you might need.

Here's a test.... Go to MPC-Forums and ask the same question. I bought an SP, not cuz I really needed one, but because I wanted to be part of the Fam here. In my minds eye that's worth it right there!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 pm 

formal wrote:
Ella, around here a used SP303 goes for $200 while an OG SP404 (non SX) goes for about $150. There's nothing much cheaper than a 404 at the moment.

:shock:
that's crazy! the sp303 is older than the sp404...
here (europe) the sp303's price is almost ridiculous...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:03 pm 

I have an MPC1000. Get the 2000xl if you're looking for an AKAI product.

The 404 sx looks dope...I want it to pair up with my 303. My MPC is collecting dust. IMHO the Roland SPs add more character to your sound.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:21 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
formal wrote:

:shock:
that's crazy! the sp303 is older than the sp404...
here (europe) the sp303's price is almost ridiculous...

I bought my 303 back in 2004ish for like $360.00. I can buy the 404SX for just over $200. Havent checked Ebay in a long ass time...but Im looking around for an SX now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:07 pm 

Idiom wrote:
The 404 sx looks dope...I want it to pair up with my 303. My MPC is collecting dust. IMHO the Roland SPs add more character to your sound.

Hm, here's what I particulary like about the 404SX: it sounds very clean and neutral and does NOT add any character to the sound :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:59 am 

LoneStar wrote:
Idiom wrote:

Hm, here's what I particulary like about the 404SX: it sounds very clean and neutral and does NOT add any character to the sound :)

I wasnt clear enough for you. The 303 adds character to your sound, thats why Im keeping it. The sound quality might be more "crystal clear" on the 404 sx, but all the SPs make your songs choppy. I think it sounds cool, but definitely unlike the MPC. The MPC has pads that have a different feel, much more precise. The choppiness IS in fact a characteristic trait of the SP series, thats a part of what makes the SP sound so imperfectly delightful. I doubt Roland has improved any of that.

For me, the 404 sx will allow me to have more pads to transfer shit to from the 303. The sx will also allow me to drop samples and tracks into the computer. Then I can just put the files into my ipod.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 am 

When I had a 404SX I thought it added a lot of extra stuff to the sound. I recorded these hi-hat samples and they had all these harmonics that were not there in the original sample.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:43 pm 

* warrika * wrote:
When I had a 404SX I thought it added a lot of extra stuff to the sound. I recorded these hi-hat samples and they had all these harmonics that were not there in the original sample.

Well then, there you go Lonestar.

The fact that the SPs aren't perfect is what makes them charming. They seem limited, but they grow on ya.

Too bad the 404sx didnt work out for ya, warrika. I wonder what the 555 sounds like.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:00 pm 

* warrika * wrote:

Ur doin it wrong ;)

No seriously, maybe it was harmonics from slightly overdriving the input? I sometimes do that on purpose to get a bit harder and harsher sound.
When I watch the levels it records just fine. There is a slight degradation in clarity, but that's normal. Can't expect from a rather cheap 16bit 44kHz machine to sound perfect.

But I have a feeling I can keep going on and on telling you how good and neutral the 404SX sounds, you won't believe me anyways lol!

Now let's just use it and make some beats!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:29 pm 

LoneStar wrote:

Now let's just use it and make some beats!

Yes!!!