It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 pm

Post subject: MC-808
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:19 pm 

Anyone here using an MC-808.

I've got an SP-555 but i really miss a few features like sample choking, sample pitching and having more than one effect at a time.

I'm basically looking for a unit for live use. I have an MPD24 controller and i thought about getting an MC-808 since i get the nice effects, but more engines, plus more sample editing capability, plus i can run it into my SP for best of both worlds.

I just wanted to ask how is it dropping effects live on the MC? do you have fiddle with menus or is it straightforward like on the SP? Any other tips for using MC live?

thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: MC-808
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am 

im not gonna get into it too much because im drunk right now but the mc808 has a ton of features that people ramble about in the many "what do you wish roland would put in the next piece of gear threads. if it had been called the sp-808sex instead of the MC 808 it would have sold brazillions. i joked that they should ship it with an SP sticker to stick over the MC label in case youre SP sensitive. its a rad machine. i dont know much about effects but it has complex sequencing options. a multi track record system and several ways to record as far as step and quantize. there is even a synth engine built in. if youre mainly looking for effects to drop in and pull out i HIGHLY suggest you buy the mc 808 and ship it to me directly then buy the sp 404 or 404sx and use it to drop effects and do various other amazing things that are a one track sequencer. im out... with a belly full of sake and japanese beer. i love texas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm 

thanks Tim. that was useful, actually. if you sober up and want to add some more feel free.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 pm 

i never looked at the mc-808 and now that you made those comments, i think it was because it was called MC 808. always looked at sp's. kinda funny. i just checked that shit out and looks like a cool machine. i just recently got a sp808 and now im like dammit. shoulda check that thing out. sequencing and hard dick recording. ( i totally made a typo, noticed and left it in cause its funny, but i am aware) but uh, i might have to grab one up, pretty cheap on the ebay circuit, saw one for like 200. pisses me off that i got my sp 808 for 200 too. SOB!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 pm 

sorry about rambling last night.. no one ever talks up the mc808 and it seems to have a lot of what everyone wants the next 404 555 8800 to have at a reasonable price point. i got excited and rambled on the board while toasty. i am sorry.
the mc 808 is a rad machine. a lot of people hated on it because to really dig deep into the synth engine you "have" to connect it to the computer and the software really "sucks". thats IF youre trying to make the thing into a straight synthesizer. it has ram like a computer and apparently like most other gear that comes with ram thats upgradeable you need to do it straight out of the box. thats interesting because ive never seen a used one advertised with the ram upgrade. this guy makes some kinda cool stuff boom bap style with the 808. heres a remake of a tribe called quest song. he is only using stock sounds and seems to have only sampled the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trPPf-QwX-M

sampling with the 808

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK6h8BWPMQU

i know a ton more about the 808 just not much about the effects.. it has a ton of cool features. i want one but in my area they go high dollar used because of the high new price tag. and i dont wanna use ebay.

yea i almost got one of those sp808s a long time ago and im somewhat glad i didnt. for the money and general size of the unit its sorta limited with the zip disk deal and really limited poli. if i remember right. there is a guy on youtube who kills it on the sp808 though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AUTOCHOPP

its the same 4 videos that have been up there forever..

anyway sorry for rambling on and on

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:33 pm 

drunken replies improve dull forums. i love texas too.

i can basically get an MC-808 or a Maschine for exactly the same dollar (or pound). I can get either tomorrow, so i'm sort of debating what to get. I recently sold a bunch of old gear (including an RS7000) so I'm sort of reluctant to start laying wedge on outdated stuff but my computer's been unreliable, i like the idea of doing a live set on hardware only and i hate ableton just because of how it looks and how twattish it is, even tho i own it and know it to be good software. Wish they made a Fantom groovebox.

i saw those MC-808 vids. the guy now moved over to Maschine :)

i thought i might run the MC-808 into the SP-555.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:47 pm 

the maschine is a cool box but i hate that its chained to the computer. i know i know.. you can turn the screen off and only work from the box but its not the same as sitting somewhere with just a drum machine and headphones ya know.. it like sitting somewhere with your drum machine and headphones and a leash going to wherever your laptop is sitting. meh.. whatever.. i would love a stripped down basic ableton that i can slowly add things to and bulk up but its way too complicated for me to get into. even just ignoring the stuff i dont wanna look at still just complicates things for me...

i lusted an rs7000 for a while. the ones that have popped up around me have either been stupid priced or have something wrong with them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

If you've got a good PC and do not mind using it in conjunction with the Maschine, it can be a great piece of gear. It's really more a software controller and not a stand-alone type of piece though.

The MC-808 has a somewhat annoyingly unfriendly user interface and menus. It was the main reason for me to sell it pretty quickly actually.

I liked the MC-505 and it's hands-on approach to making music, but the MC-808 uses a lot more shift + knob + button combinations you'll have to memorize for quick usage of the machine.

Not that great, although sounds and features are pretty sweet. Especially if you're into dance / techno style stuff, as that's what grooveboxes are most useful for if you'd ask me.

Obviously you can make all sorts of music with it, but still. I'd probably grab the Maschine if you've already got a good PC.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:24 pm 

hi
rehsuming this relatively old thread...
can you resampling the main out with mc808? this could be useful to resample whole sequences and patterns etc or just to resample patterns of the internal sounds
also
how is "friendly" the use of fx in a live situation with mc808? got it something like sp303/404/505 direct approach or not? i believe is more something like the mcs series (303/505/307 ect), wich is not that bad but...

other:
how many fx simultanously?