It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good news! aka the Look What I Just Got thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 am 

A Roland MC-09, Boss SP 505, and a Kaoss pad mini1 synth. I'm mad I was sent the synth, since I ordered the effect unit, and I think it's been damaged or something, so I'm probably just going to return it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm 

I was thinking about going back to synths again but didn't want to be hassled with the space and time to learn the device, so I got me a Korg monotribe v.2. Best decision made.

It was pick up and play right out the box. You actually create your own sounds from this little guy. I've gotten organ, electric guitar, steel drum, piano and flute sounds from just random tweaking.

Drums are pretty dope. I was expecting pop and click for kick and snare, but they sound good.

Haven't hooked it up to any sampler yet. But alone itsa heavyweight. I saw great results on youtube where its used with MPCs and KAOSS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:47 am 

I had to renew a pawn bill a few weeks ago, and spotted this Yamaha CS2x for $350. And I had $45 to put it on layaway. So I took the plunge. I have until
February to get it home, but it can be a decent bread & butter digital synth with a little VA included. It can do decent appregrios which I like. It will
Be great with my Yamaha AN200 & DX200.

Attachments:
0D70B1D7-A0B0-4D2A-B25D-DEE9458702E9.jpeg
0D70B1D7-A0B0-4D2A-B25D-DEE9458702E9.jpeg [ 263.57 KiB | Viewed 12955 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:56 am 

Cool synth, Headphones!

I wish they still made stuff like that now but they don't. Neither Korg, Roland, or Yamaha have a basic rompler synth with nice hands-on control on the market these days. Today it seems you have to stray into arranger or workstation territory, which is annoying, I don't need all that when I'll be plugging it into someting else.

If Yamaha still made CS today, or if Roland still made the RS-5 or RS-50, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:14 am 

It’s a bit dated perhaps, but a bargain is a bargain. I have a Akai Miniak which I bought used, but it’s hard to navigate its sounds, because if I’m at the bass tones, but want to switch to drums, I have to scroll & scroll to find the one I want. It kinda makes more sense to have a master synth to use together with the Miniak.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:49 am 

Headphones wrote:
It will Be great with my Yamaha AN200 & DX200.

i had forget you got one an200, how do you find it? i have one too

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:53 am 

It’s good, but it’s pretty much like my DX200 since they use the same drum/bass sounds. It’s in the pawn shop now, but I’m gonna try to get it home ASAP. Kinda funny I paid $350 for it as well!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 am 

Headphones wrote:
It’s good, but it’s pretty much like my DX200 since they use the same drum/bass sounds. It’s in the pawn shop now, but I’m gonna try to get it home ASAP. Kinda funny I paid $350 for it as well!

at first sight i tought what?! fm=virtual analog?! but when i've read carefully about the drums, now i'm saying Ok :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 am 

It’s different synth engines, but they both have the same functionality as far as the 4 part sequencer & sound shaping goes. I am pretty sure the AN200/DX200 sound nothing like the CS2X, but it’s like having Strawberry added to Vanilla & Chocolate. All I’d really need is a RS7000 or SU700/RM1x and I’m pretty much set as far as Yamahas go. Well, maybe I want some reFace synths added in the wish list as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 am 

Headphones wrote:
All I’d really need is a RS7000 or SU700/RM1x and I’m pretty much set as far as Yamahas go. Well, maybe I want some reFace synths added in the wish list as well.

i have an rs7000 since 2013, i never understood this machine...it's still in my flat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:23 pm 

You could flip that if you wanted something easier to use, unless you’re happy with it of course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 pm 

Headphones wrote:
It’s different synth engines, but they both have the same functionality as far as the 4 part sequencer & sound shaping goes. I am pretty sure the AN200/DX200 sound nothing like the CS2X, but it’s like having Strawberry added to Vanilla & Chocolate. All I’d really need is a RS7000 or SU700/RM1x and I’m pretty much set as far as Yamahas go. Well, maybe I want some reFace synths added in the wish list as well.

So the CS2x is AWM2 synthesis, giving more polyphony than the CS1x, and has a TG300B mode as well, which I guess is 2 synths for the price of one? I’m listening to a CS1x being demoed on YouTube now, and it’s no Moog or Prophet or Roland, but it’s got great sounds in it. So I can’t see why I won’t be happy with the CS2x then.

Now, if we’re talking AN1x, then that’s the same synth engine as the AN200, so they’ll get along great and I’d be surprised if they couldn’t swap patches somehow. But for now I’ll just be paying off the CS2x and then making a bit of room for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am 

Headphones wrote:
Now, if we’re talking AN1x, then that’s the same synth engine as the AN200, so they’ll get along great and I’d be surprised if they couldn’t swap patches somehow. But for now I’ll just be paying off the CS2x and then making a bit of room for it.

i think that someway ,many years ago, i put an1x patches inside the an200, with midi Ox. But maybe i'm wrong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:54 am 

Bit more research to do yet, but I think I found my perfect synth :mrgreen:

Headphones posting that knobby CS2X the other day had my mind in overdrive, and it reminded me about the Studiologic Sledge. I've never owned a Sledge, but it has often caught my curiosity over the years. I remember when the first version was released, I liked it but at the same time hated it for having the connections on the side instead of the back where connections belong. Then many years later I got interested in it again and got put off after finding a lot of people whining their heads-off that it was buggy.

Now though, since they released that black model with black and grey keys, they appear to have fixed bugs, they've redisigned the output stage and they've doubled the polyphony. Most importantly of all though, you even have the ability now, to upload your own samples into it's ROM, creating a custom Sledge.

This is a biggie (for me), especially on the Sledge because the Sledge is already a very powerful VA. So in a nutshell, the Sledge is now a 24-Voice Virtual Analogue that mixes very powerful virtual analogue synthesis, wavetable synthesis, and even plain old sample based synthesis now. As a bonus, since it's made by Studiologic you also get one of the best quality keybeds on the market, with very nice aftertouch!

It must also be fitted with an FPGA running at an insanely high sample rate to be able to handle the sort of audio-rate LFOs that it does, and to do it so damn smoothly. I've just been watching another video on it and I think this guy finally made my decision for me. Anyone who has ever been on the fence about the Sledge should watch this video right through, he covers some really cool synthesis stuff, and you get a feel for just how nice it must be to use that spacious and very knobby panel!

Considering everything this beast does now, and the price it sells for, I reckon it must easily be one of the best VA's out there. Trying not to get too excited, just in case I come across a deal-breaker at the last minute, but it sure does look as if I'm going to be going for one of these beasts!

Interesting video, the homie obviously knows what he's talking about so ignore at your peril :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiKZrhN0h4

DISCLAIMER:
If you don't want a Sledge, you probably will after watching that video right through!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm 

So do any of you own the latest model of the Sledge (the black one), or have you tried it?

Sadly there is nowhere local who sells it that actually has it in stock, which is a bummer because I was determined to try before I buy this time. Problem with the Sledge is a lot of the reviews are for the older model, and the new model is quite a different beast according to some of the comments I read from people who upgraded to the new model.

That video I linked to is really the only one that 'sold it to me' so far, but that's not really enough to go on I think. If anyone on here has (or has tried) the new version, please let me know what you think about it and whether it has any show-stopper issues. That bug he talks about in the video doesn't even sound like a bug to me, nor to the dude who's making the video it seems, so I'm not bothered about that at all, but if there is anything that could be considered show-stopping about it, I'd love to know!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next