WTF! :shock:

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:37 am 

IF you have a Mac... :lol:

$5500 if you don't :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:14 am 

for the record unless you buy a dell / other cheap shit brand, the macbook is the cheapest laptop in its performance class.. all the toshibas/sonys/acers were like 1.6ghz core duo for the same price as my macbook 2.16 core2duo

I'd buy logic 8 but I'm a hardware fiend.. maybe i still will though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:46 am 

Yeah but laptops are no good for audio work - too noisy by and large.

Compare Desktops and it's quite the opposite. You can get a pretty hefty PC for the price of a desktop mac...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:00 am 

Damn - I knew macs were dear but it just cost $9000 to match my $3500 pc!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:03 am 

Quote:
Yeah but laptops are no good for audio work - too noisy by and large

ke? :P my laptop is quieter than a ninja.. until you put a cd in the drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:40 am 

They are usually fine until you plug in anything via usb - then you can hear every little computer 'thought' coming through your monitors. I never noticed until I got monitors - hi-fi speakers just don't pick up the freqs I guess! As I use USB audio interfaces (SP-606 and Edirol UA-20) I have noticed this with my notebooks since. It could be a PC laptop problem, but I doubt it.

Anyway, no such concerns with the desktop machine! No 'computer blips' coming out the speakers now!

NB: soz if I came off all 'anti-mac'. If you already have a mac then Logic would be an absolute no-brainer I think. It's almost too good (Logic has, more than any other software, been responsible for the death of many hardware studios!).

Us PC puapers will have to stick to Cubase/Sonar (Sonar in my case - 10 times better than Cubase..).

When you get it, don't forget to brag about how good it really is :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:10 am 

i got the cheapest macbook and it runs flawlessly. Really, I wish i didnt have a sequencer already. Soon enough, ill probably pickup logic express. Like for peanuts you got a pro recording app and also some really top instruments including ultrabeat drum machine/synthesizer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:01 pm 

^ ah 606man the issue there is cheap electronics components used by certain laptop brands... eg the electronics on the motherboard that carry the signal to the port.

I've heard of problems with firewire on HP / Compaq laptops, and would be wary of dell, since its the cheapest of the lot..

the apples are well built in this regard. . also the other brands i mentioned above - toshiba, sony. . and apparently acer too. I couldve had a crazy dell laptop for what i paid, but the noisey ports thing is really what i was worried about most over having an insane video card or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:25 pm 
Awesome Member

just had to chime in here a little off topic to say as a pc tech going on a decade here the only hardware i can ever recommend anyone purchase is apple. or oki printers. but only buy apple computers. you pay twice as much up front but have a strong likelihood of never needing support. also, os x is the only operating system that actually tends to get faster each release, instead of needing a new computer. and if you're doing audio, as i assume we are, macs tend to set up easier and work more consistently. //ENDRANT//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:11 pm 

iG9 wrote:
just had to chime in here a little off topic to say as a pc tech going on a decade here the only hardware i can ever recommend anyone purchase is apple. or oki printers. but only buy apple computers. you pay twice as much up front but have a strong likelihood of never needing support. also, os x is the only operating system that actually tends to get faster each release, instead of needing a new computer. and if you're doing audio, as i assume we are, macs tend to set up easier and work more consistently. //ENDRANT//

The man speaks much truth :) Ive got a pretty low end mac... ibook g4 1gig proc. 512ram 30gig hd. I had panther, ever since I installed tiger ive noticed a bit a speed up. Pretty cool. Also, I get 0 noise. Even with my 4 way usb adapter hooked up to a bunch of crap :)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:23 am 

My notebooks are Acer and IBM, so I think we can assume that ALL pc laptops are noisy...

No such problems with the desktop however.

I know mac is better, but I don't want to give up my PC software. I know that logic is probably better than Sonar, but I know how to use Sonar (which is PC only). I have a bunch of VST effects I use a lot which don't exist on Mac. I use Sony Acid to timestretch; again something that isn't on Mac. I use trackers still - no real support community for them on Mac. Finally, I actually use Kinetic a lot, especially for drums, and again it's NOT ON MAC!

I would have to change the very essence of the way I work to change now, and I'm simply too old to change now!

A friend has a Macbook Pro, and to be honest I find it hard to operate! It's funny, becuase I know the Mac operating system would be easier for a new person to learn, but it's a pain in the arse if you have years and years of experience with Windows... Can't teach an old dog new trick etc etc :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:05 am 

Quote:
I know mac is better, but I don't want to give up my PC software.

intel mac ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:47 am 

Yeah, I tried to get Sonar to run on Bootcamp (on me mate's Macbook), but with no success... The system still has a way to go I think...still crashes a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 am 

cartesia wrote:
Quote:
I know mac is better, but I don't want to give up my PC software.

intel mac ftw!

LINUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: