It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Post subject: Boss DR-202: fix it or ditch it?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 am 

This last weekend I just secured an SP-202 (with a 2mb 5v card) and a DR-202 off eBay for $60. Turns out the DR-202 is giving a “System Err” on the screen. The reset button combo isn’t doing anything. I opened it up and saw some battery acid on the copper shielding sheet (is there a name for this kind of stuff?). I may have ****ed the screen after putting it back together cuz now nothing shows on the readout.

Is it worth trying to fix it or is this pointless since I already kinda have drum machines and portable sequencers (QY100 and Electribe 2) covered. Are the “bass” sounds that everyone mentions really dope or are they just good sounding and quick to dial up?

Post subject: Re: Boss DR-202: fix it or ditch it?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 am 

the dr-202 is really fun, its my main tool quick drums or bass

id say its worth the fix if you really like the SP format. its can be really fun to use, or tricky depending on the type of person you are. the process of making loops is similar to pattern sequencer on the sp

Post subject: Re: Boss DR-202: fix it or ditch it?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:05 pm 

FeelinDank wrote:
Is it worth trying to fix it or is this pointless since I already kinda have drum machines and portable sequencers (QY100 and Electribe 2) covered.

yes, those 2 are better seqeuncers than the dr202 one.
anyway, at first the sp202/dr202 combo was conceived to work togheter, i don't know if dr202 knobs could tweak fx parameters of the sp202...
the bass sound is cool on the dr202, but, there are plenty of vsti or real synths or grooveboxes that could do better (the ones you mentioned are better in my opionion, for example) ; for some ideas on the fly that bass it's ok.