It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:00 am 

In most respects the 606 is still a far more advanced machine than the 555. It has more effects, more effect engines, a proper sequencer (more like the MPC-style), proper connections (1/4" balanced), more advanced software integration (cakewalk kinetic), more sampling options and..... a screen!

The 555 has loop capture mode, more voices, more storage space, can save sequences as samples (I *think*), a microphone input etc. There are many other threads around comparing the two, so look around.

You can get the lo-fi compressor, in a more advanced version, by using the master compressor, with more emphasis on the low frequencies and the lo-fi processor as well. The number of effects engines plus the flexible routing options on the 606 mean you can get almost any effect you desire...606 is a power sp for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 am 

The SP-606 is definitely the most advanced SP to date. But the 555 appeals to my prefered style of workflow.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:42 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer me. Yeah, I'm currently looking through all the forum threads regarding both machines and there's indeed a lot of info out there already. :) :oops:

I'm not sure if spending the extra 200 bucks will be worth it, but I'm seriously considering looking a bit closer at the 606. The SP-555 will do fine for what I need, but perhaps a 606 would be better if I want to do more advanced things (eventually... because naturally it will take a while before I get used to either machine and am able to make some nice things with it).

A big plus of the SP-555 would be it's support for 1Gb and 2Gb CF-cards, because I already have plenty of those... I don't have any smaller than 512Mb.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:45 pm 

I think you really need to try both. They are both very different with a very different approach to production. So be carefull in choosing ! From my perspective if your a visual person you will like the 606 more. If your not the 555 will probably be for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 pm 

I really think you need to have both! j/k, but how cool would it be??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:07 am 

One day when I am mad paid(probably never...lol) I will have a collection of all the SPs :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:13 am 

What I like about the Sp-555 is the mic input thing with phantom power and the ability to directly plug-in my guitar/bass, it's said to have improved effects and new ones and off course the more advanced compact flash is a pro too ... what I like a lot about the SP 606 is the screen making things visual and it's internal sequencer/editor combined with P606 software. It seems like the 606 is a really solid production station on it's own, whereas the SP 555 is more an effect centered sampler for Djs much like the 404. Mind you, I haven't messed around with either one just yet, these are just my impressions at the moment.

But nevertheless, I think I've got no choice but to buy them both... :lol:

(I can only hope there's a possibility to mess around with them before buying)

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:23 am 

Guys, dont blame akai. blame numark. for taking a good company and turning it to shit. but I hear the 2500's are dope.

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:00 am 

i think eventually i will get all three...

"three" you ask???

yeah, a mc-505 or 808, I already got the 606, and a 555...what else could you ask for?!?!

I should have the 505 in my hands in 48 hours...

I hope I won't be disappointed???

and i'm pretty sure the mc-series can trigger synths like an mpc if me not mistaken...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:38 am 

Dj Frantic wrote:
The SP-555 can also sequence external gear...just not as nicely as the MPC :)
If would stay away from the MPC500. Ne thing above an MPC1000 (and the 60) is nice but the 500 is not made to be a stand alone machine... u cant even adjust the friggin level of your samples on it ! you gotta adjust the velocity to lower the levels :)

How can Sp555 sequence external gear??? I own one and I want for long time to do that....

Post subject: Re: MPC500 review
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:40 pm 

Using the midi out you can synch to external gear and send start/stop midi control messages, but I don't think you can really sequence external gear.

Most likely the sp-555 using the midi out functions more like a controller unit or perhaps this is what was meant by Frantic.

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 pm 

You think so?..

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm 

cartesia wrote:
PHeMoX wrote:
Dj Frantic wrote:

Dont buy the MPC500 though if you end up going with akai! get a second hand 1000 instead

my thoughts exactly, you can end up getting a nice used 1000 for just a little mroe than a 555 would be used (just try to stray away from the red/blue model)

you just gotta keep livin man, l-i-v-i-n

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:19 am 

I just bought a 500 on eBay. $350 free shipping two 128 cards fully upgraded 128 mb ram all the cables and a manual. this thing is real sick. I had a 2000 and it was cool. but it couldn't do much in the way of shaping sounds no resampling no fx no way to record samples at a lower sampling rate.

the 500 fixes all that apart from the inability to record in any thing other than cd quality. but it's faster than the 2000 and the sequencer is just as good. I sample shit in at 72 rpm and then resample it up 2 octaves then pitch it down to get a shorter sample and less memory use plus a sample rate reduction sound that I loved as long as ive used samplers. back when things had to sound like that so you could fit them on a disk. s20 asrx

this thing catches a lot of shit for being small and only having 12 pads. blah blah. this thing is dope.

also mine has no buzz in battery mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:30 am 

Quote:
this thing catches a lot of shit for being small and only having 12 pads. blah blah. this thing is dope.

Yeah, I agree it's stupid to hate on gear, but with it's pads easily dying and not being the most comfortable to play with and the machine being overpriced (350$ isn't that bad, but it goes for 500$ retail right), I think it does catch some flak for a reason. It's easy to confuse that criticism for anti-Akai speech, but I think there's some legitimacy in that. :)

That's not to say you can make awesome music with one, but if you get lucky you can get an MPC1000, that's clearly a whole better machine, for as low as 450$.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next