It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

Post subject: Re: Boss DR-770
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:14 am 

chemisferio wrote:
The 770, on the other hand, wins on sound quality (both the outputs and the drum samples are cleaner and more defined, while also being able to sound pretty filthy), on storage memory, multitimbrality (you can layer 2 sounds on each pad, I didn't find this function on the 202), roll/flam and swing functions (they can be edited in more depth than in the 202), and, most importantly, the pads, which are not only velocity but also aftertouch sensitive.

roll/flam in the 202 is totally crazy...you have 67 types of roll on this machine, and you can switch/edit them on he fly while playing...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:00 pm 

What I meant about the sound is that in the demos it kind of sounds like there's this weird high end that makes it sound "digital", kind of like the Elektron Machinedrum or Zoom drum machines, if you know what I mean. It's not necessarily something everybody dislikes, and I suppose it could be coming from the effects and not the sounds, or even the recording.

These are the demos I know of:
http://www.synthmania.com/dr-770.htm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:12 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

ellaguru wrote:
chemisferio wrote:
The 770, on the other hand, wins on sound quality (both the outputs and the drum samples are cleaner and more defined, while also being able to sound pretty filthy), on storage memory, multitimbrality (you can layer 2 sounds on each pad, I didn't find this function on the 202), roll/flam and swing functions (they can be edited in more depth than in the 202), and, most importantly, the pads, which are not only velocity but also aftertouch sensitive.

roll/flam in the 202 is totally crazy...you have 67 types of roll on this machine, and you can switch/edit them on he fly while playing...

Types of roll? You mean like arpeggiator patterns? That's awesome. I've now got a Yamaha KX-49, it has a whole load of arpeggiator patterns as well, EXTREMELY useful stuff. :)

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 pm 

I didn't know about the 202 roll types, it's obvious I couldn't get a grasp of all its power in one evening :)
I see what you mean, warrika, and yeah, some sounds are a tad too bright (especially hihats), but there's a simple two-band EQ which works fine for lowering the highs a bit. The 202 does sound darker and has a bit grungier sound, which is mainly what beat makers prefer. I am OK with a clean and bright sound, as I can always filter + distort it later on the 606 :P