It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Post subject: Korg Esx-1 vs Es-1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 pm 

hi
i have always intriguing by this sampler. the problem is that once i tried the es-1 and i was unconvinced by this one.
so, what are the main differences of the this 2 samplers?
in particular:

-are samples only in "one-shot" mode?
-can you resample chopped/slices samples with a metronome or in time with a pattern?
-how many keyboard parts you have and, how is the sound of samples by the key part? is it pitched or not (like sp-505)?
-how many fx at once you can play/apply/resample?
-it goes on smartmedia cards?
-can you "swing" patterns with samples? i mean, when you record patterns are you able to not "fall" forcely into 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc TR pads and between those (1-1,5-1,8-2-2,5-2,8-3 etc)...

strangely, for the first time from one year, i saw here this beast at 225€(334usd!!), don't know if it comes with cards, acdc adaptor etc...

Post subject: Re: Korg Esx-1 vs Es-1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 am 

The biggest is the faceplate. The esx-1 has the abilitu to pitch shift 2 samples per pattern, like the 16 levels on a mcp. They both use smartmedia (SUCK). You can use three fx per pattern on the sx-1 only 1 on es-1. You have bigger internal original mem on the esx-1, also the display shows info, the es-1 just shows numbers. You can name patterns on the sx instead of just memorizing pattern numbers. Im sure there are more, this is just off of my dome. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:01 am 

1. Yes there is swing on the ESX
2. ESX has arp ribbon with many built in scales. It is also really good for drum stutters and rolls.
3. ESX can filter all parts independently.
4. ESX allows you to apply FXs to incoming audio.
5. The ESX has a combo of 1shots, note cut, and gate mode for samples. You can not assign what you want, it is given to you that way on the machine.
6. Yes you can assign the slices to whatever pads you want. There is even a trick to use only 1 pad, but you can assign more then one slice once sequenced. For example, step 1 could be a slice, step 2 could be a slice, etc etc lasting all of the beats in the measure. This means a single 4/4 bar could have 16 different slices within one pad!
7. ESX has better time stretching ( this is good and bad )
8. You can resample pads/sounds + sequences.
9. PC editor available for loading and creating kits. (Much like the ZMF producer for the 224)

I am sure I'm missing more, but let me know if you need more info as this is my main machine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 am 

thanx guys!

@nuemerik (4ormal :) )
didn't knew you were using this; how does it sounds?
other questions:

-are samples only in "one-shot" mode?
-can you resample chopped/slices samples with a metronome or in time with a pattern (think about the st224)?with the es-1 it was not possible i remember...i mean, in slices mode the metronome didn't works...
-can you "swing" patterns with samples? i mean, when you record patterns are you able to not "fall" forcely into 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc TR pads and between those (1-1,5-1,8-2-2,5-2,8-3 etc)...

thanx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 am 

havent used the sampler version but i did get the emx and am intrigued at maybe grabbing one of the samplers at a later date, i would recommend either model based on ease of use

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:43 am 

Quote:
4. ESX allows you to apply FXs to incoming audio.

the es-1 can do this too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 am 

Damn, it would be very cool if Korg could merge the EMX and ESX into on killer machine. With CF as storage medium. Go on Korg, do it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:35 pm 

People have been begging for an electribe upgrade for ages... the problem is people STILL buy the X electribes...

although the price seems to have suddenly dropped recently... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:14 pm 

cartesia wrote:
People have been begging for an electribe upgrade for ages... the problem is people STILL buy the X electribes...

although the price seems to have suddenly dropped recently... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Really?! That's *very* interesting... :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:47 pm 

Makes me wonder if I should sell the ESX1 while it's still worth decent money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 pm 

im a little confused what this is asking... you mean more like live record rather than step editing? the machine wont really let you do a live free record without making the samples fall into those specific slots... it "sounds" like you could do what youre asking by settup up just the samples you want that way in a pattern and resampling that pattern to sound the way you want and then putting it in a new track... ive heard from several people that using longer samples as LONG loops tend to drift.. ive never had that problem and dont really understand how it would happen... the pitch function is the shit... i use it in everything ive made on that box.. people praise the 909 for that pitch stuff making your samples fit your bpm rather than making your bpm match the sample, the esx has it... i do wish it had a quantize adjust or a more easier to work with live application... for looser drum tracks.. the keyboard thing is OK at best (for my tastes) but is really cumbersome(again,to ME).. once i figured out the quick way to copy patterns and then looked into the song mode it was on...

not that it was amazing but my track for battle 55 was all the esx (and i got a compliment on the pitching in my song)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:33 pm 

timfromtexas wrote:

im a little confused what this is asking... you mean more like live record rather than step editing? the machine wont really let you do a live free record without making the samples fall into those specific slots... it "sounds" like you could do what youre asking by settup up just the samples you want that way in a pattern and resampling that pattern to sound the way you want and then putting it in a new track...

that's what i wanted to say: with the es-1 i had the impression to only have the possibility to record into the steps and not between (swing) the steps...can you record more "human" with the esx-1?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm 

as far as i have figured out no not without resampling your self playing the sample pads live via the resample mode the putting that live-play sample back in as one of the pads and dropping it into the pattern... all sounds pretty much fall into the 16 slots with a little space added via the swing settings... there are "things" you can do to make things have more space and kinda slur up a sequence using the slice and step edit functions... but ive never used it and it seems to be a grip of work.. but that work may be worth it... please get one... there arent enough people making quality stuff with the tribes other than the typical stuff... its basically set to 16 quantize for life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:24 am 

you can resample some sound with a little gap in front of it, so when played on the pad it has extra swing. You can always truncate the sample later to give you the space you need.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 am 

doing it that way to me still sounds like a rigid track the not just falls a little late in the same spot every time... you need multiple of each sample with alternating spaces resampled in the front for it to sound right... at least in the work flow i use

jeff you had a video on youtube comparing the two tribes and that video and one or two others of yours and another guys on youtube were the reasons i got a tribe.. i watched your stuff on there WAY before i saw you on here... its kinda creepy cuz when youve talked about gear that i already knew you had it gets me a little weirded out... way to go, and thanks