It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

Post subject: Re: Roland MC-09
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:06 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Only a sampler and no synth capabilities. It's basically a really old school sampler with really some big limitations compared to an MPC1k or MV8000.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:17 pm 

why this crazy price, then?
however it seems to me something near to the electribe style (but maybe the rs7000 is older...). do you know more?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 pm 

Yeah, it simply has a huge underground status. If you look at some cats who rip that machine like it's nothing on Youtube, you'll see why it's so appreciated. ;)

But really, the machine is not worth over 350€ when I am dead honest. You can basically do more complex and interesting stuff with a secondhand SP-555 and you wouldn't lose any features. :roll:

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm 

ok.
i remeber some months ago someone told me about this sampler, saying, more or less "if you like tweaking with the sp303, try the rs7000: everything stand in face of you"; i must say, after seeing he RS, that i prefer the su700, not bad at all...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:02 am 

The RS7000 has a synth engine inside + sampling capabilities ( like Roland MC808/909)

The SU700 is only a sampling machine with no synth. Both machines are really great in their own ways. I would take an RS7000 over the SU700 anyday of the week. There is much more potential.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:23 am 

nuemerik wrote:
The RS7000 has a synth engine inside + sampling capabilities ( like Roland MC808/909)

The SU700 is only a sampling machine with no synth. Both machines are really great in their own ways. I would take an RS7000 over the SU700 anyday of the week. There is much more potential.

hi 4ormal!
so the rs7000 has also synths....interesting; so that's explains part of the price...
the su700 is a nice machine,i feel it, but i discovered that it lacks some of little feature su10/200 got: loop point & pitch scale (ST224/mpcs way...).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:55 pm 

nuemerik wrote:

Yeah, but it's limitations put it far far behind both the MC808 and MC909, which on a good day gear scavenging can be found for around 500€ as well.

But...

for nostalgic reasons and the fact that it has a unique vibe to it, I would probably prefer a RS7000-sound over most other samplers too. At least to some extent, because having a whole lot more tracks and sampling time at your disposal really is something necessary for me these days. (Yes, we are spoiled. ;) )

But still, I guess classic gear with a good name will always be expensive.

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am 

cartesia wrote:
Is that the one that drewzle has?

it sure is!

i've PMed Ellaguru a bit about this synth, didn't realise there was a thread here too :oops:

basically, it has 4 modes - Lead, Bass, Rhythm (Drums) and Effects
these will only play one at a time - but you do get a 4 track looper to build things up with

the looper/sampler has some nifty tricks. it can autochop, re-pitch samples, etc ...i imagine someone could have a lot of fun with it despite the difficult way its set up (plus the Smartmedia card is useless for storing, takes MINUTES to load/save...you'd be better off pairing this with an SP and resampling your chops/loops/tweaks from this into the SP)

the synth is pure acid! delicious and unruly. you get the vintage TB303 sound, but also other harsh aggressive leads, and fat rounded basses. sort of a limited palette of sounds, but what it does it does very well. you really won't be disappointed with the spastic sounds this thing produces

lots of parameters to mess with, synth-wise. 3 LFOs (only one rate knob tho), amp envelope, filter envelope. the synths have an 'effect' paramter (distortion, slicer, phaser and overdrive) so you do still get some effects (3 knobs to control them too, the slicer can be amazing on a lead)

the Effects section lets you apply a special effect (different to the synth effect parameter) to either the Line In or to the loops you've recorded. cool things is you can sequencer steps, so record 1 or 2 bar tweaks of knobs and it will remember them. instant original automations!

there's a few other nifty things this synth does, but you'll notice it's a strange beast. lots of weird little tricks that don't seem to match up into a whole concept. i tend to use it strictly as a bass voice in my live rig. if i want to take it to acid country i will twist the Res knob up and honk it out raspy acid(bass patch can be filtered and pitch bent into acid quickly). a quick recording of the bassline into one of the looper tracks lets me keep the bass rolling too :wink: the looper has a mute button and a level dial

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am 

thanx Drewzle
now i'm waiting for this little weird beast.
what made me crazy about it was its "4 track recorder way" and the autochop/loopy thing concept...it sounds cool (and weird).
i also read that is maybe the only truly decent (cheap) imitation of the great tb303....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:26 pm 

off-topic from MC-09, but;

PHeMoX wrote:
But really, the machine is not worth over 350€ when I am dead honest. You can basically do more complex and interesting stuff with a secondhand SP-555 and you wouldn't lose any features. :roll:

are you talking RS-7000 v SP-555?!

i think you're mistaken Phemox, the RS-7000 is a whole different beast. don't view it as a sampler, it is a really deep MIDI command center for sequencing, midi effects, mutes/solos, on-board synth/sampling. it is the brain of a midi rig!

apples and oranges :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 am 

Yes, you are right, I did mistake it for being a somewhat ordinary sampler. :oops:

I mentioned the SP-555 thinking the RS-7000 had no synth too. I was wrong.

But.. I still find it hard to believe the machine is worth it's money judged on it's sampling capabilities. It's really pretty old school at that. Not saying it's bad though, heck no. :mrgreen:

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:52 am 

the mc-09 is arrived.
soon a review.
peace!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:24 pm 

Cool, looking forward to that. :)

You should make some videos man. 8)

www.myspace.com/phemox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
Cool, looking forward to that. :)

You should make some videos man. 8)

thanx
but for now the videos are almost impossible to do because the house is a mess (waiting for a new kid) so i got no place to play with Toys at a high clear volume....
i would like to finish working on the cellar's humidity project to have at last a real space to play things right...
anyway
first impressions:
the filters are DOPEEEE!! wow, really great!
the phazer toooo!
slicer ok
isolator cool
the "4 track side" is like i tought: cool and weird, i like it. mute/unmute is like a recoder: easy and precise (not one shot shitty things).
ther are some real cool basses and as drewzle said the Acid sounds are the main thing on this machine. but the tweaks you can do on it makes it more versatile....and there are really fat basses not only for acid.
drums are few but useful.

now i will sample something to see what this beast can do...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 am 

PHeMoX wrote:
Yes, you are right, I did mistake it for being a somewhat ordinary sampler. :oops:

I mentioned the SP-555 thinking the RS-7000 had no synth too. I was wrong.

But.. I still find it hard to believe the machine is worth it's money judged on it's sampling capabilities. It's really pretty old school at that. Not saying it's bad though, heck no. :mrgreen:

I have to chip in on this one: I have the RS7000 myself, and would definately recommend it without any hesitation whatsoever. Although it certainly has its shortcomings, they are outweighed by far of its strenghts. The implementation of resampling/sampling of sequences is just brilliant imo. Only downside in this department is the lack of loop crossfading. But for drumloops and non-sustained sounds it's brilliant.

The synth section isn't all that, but still has some very cool features such as the programmable lfo. Drum kits are very, very good.
The effects are awesome with many parameters.

Sequencer i *deep*. It can be daunting at first, but once you get around it, it's got huge potential.

2 x midi out is also a big plus. Downside is Smart Media as storage, but they're still available on ebay. Oh yeah, it's also possible to use a xD to SM adaptor.

Great machine, well worth the price.