It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

Post subject: Yamaha AN-200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm 

hi guys
i'm a little interested to this machine.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/an200.php

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1M8WrQSeE&feature=related

it's a little beast similar of mc-303 and very similar to yamaha dx-200... i like the 3 machines, but i bought roland D2 wich has all (and lot of more)sounds of mc-303 and dx-200 is hard to find and not cheap; an-200 is not easy to find too but maybe i found it.
anyone knows it?
the drums suck on it?
what's wrong with this machine?

thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm 

Quote:
I had a Yamaha AN-200 for a while. Decent little box. Has some hard limits thoughm only 16 step patterns and the song sequencer tends to drop the first note when it switches to the next pattern. Not alot of drum sounds but the ones included are great for electronic stuff. The synth itself sounds really good and is capable of a wide range of sounds. Get the software editor and you can really tweak the shit out of it. I gave $125 for the one I had and would gladly do it again if I had the cash to spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:30 pm 

as mentioned above..

the sequencer drops the first note when u change patterns on the fly.
(only really an issue if you are performing live.)

some of the controls require you to use the computer editor to access because they dont all have knobs/buttons.

Besides these two things,
the drum sounds are decent, albeit limited.. some nice congas and such.

the synth sounds really fat! I once posted some samples up here I recorded out of my AN200. . not sure if theyre still floating around somewhere though sorry.

One really cool feature is 'scene morph' - it basically lets you morph between 2 different synth patches.

also another good feature it has - internal automation recording!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

Quote:
the sequencer drops the first note when u change patterns on the fly.
(only really an issue if you are performing live.)

this thing is not too encouraging....ok, i don't perform too much, but i make many recordings, so at last i don't know if the money invested to this gear is well worth...

the automation recording and the morph are nice features i think.

anyway the one i found will come without the pc editor...is it hard to find? in case if, have you got a copy of this thing?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:50 pm 

finally i bought it for 128€. someone told me that the "droping" thing is fixed if you use an external sequencer to drive the an-200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 am 

ellaguru wrote:
finally i bought it for 128€. someone told me that the "droping" thing is fixed if you use an external sequencer to drive the an-200.

sorry i didnt make that more clear. . yes its just a bug in the built in sequencer,
when you change patterns while one is already playing.

if you stop, then change patterns - no problem.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Post subject: Re: Yamaha AN-200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:12 pm 

I think it has the exact same drum sounds as the DX200, but if you don't want them to have the same drum sounds, you can just spend hours editing the patterns so that they don't have to sound alike. Has anybody noticed that AN200's are really easy to find on eBay, and DX200's are almost impossible to find?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:23 pm 

Headphones wrote:
I think it has the exact same drum sounds as the DX200, but if you don't want them to have the same drum sounds, you can just spend hours editing the patterns so that they don't have to sound alike. Has anybody noticed that AN200's are really easy to find on eBay, and DX200's are almost impossible to find?

i find here the dx200 not difficulty, but the price is still a bit highest than the an200...
i still keep the an200 with me because i discovered it's hidden synth capability: it is a cool analog synth camoufled by a groovebox! with the editor and the patches found on the net you can really make good music with.
now i don't use very often its sequencer 'cause the 1bar (!!!!) is annoyng, but you have interesting on the fly functions (morphing, scaling, roll, midi reverse, gate, swing etc) not easy foundable on other grooveboxes or at least not in-your-face as on this.
if just yamaha guys had implemented and increased their sequencer, very probably AN200 and DX200 would have be the best grooveboxes available.

now i tend to use it more as a desktop synth and it's very very surprising, it's like the an1x more or less.
but you can do things also near to korg ms20 or microkorg sound 'cause it has THAT grain...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 am 

Since this post, I’ve noticed AN200s are getting scarce, and people out there buy them, pull out the PLG-150AN card, and put them in their Motif keyboards or rackmount Motifs. (The actual AN200 is cheaper than the card by itself).

But when I spotted one for $350 at a local music shop, I put down 25% because I wanted to use it with my DX200. They finally have iPad editors, so you don’t have to worry about finding some old Windows 95 laptop just to use the software editor. I’d have to get another iPad, but no worries there.

DX200s have stayed pretty high because they’re scarce, and much easier to use than a DX7. So FM synth nuts love them for their ease of use with the knobs. Luckily, the PLG-150DX cards aren’t as scarce, for those Motif users.

Won’t have it home until I pay it off, but I’m thinking of even getting the SU200, even though I hated using that sampler. (It was like a root canal compared to using SPs).

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am 

Headphones wrote:

But when I spotted one for $350 at a local music shop, I put down 25% because I wanted to use it with my DX200. They finally have iPad editors, so you don’t have to worry about finding some old Windows 95 laptop just to use the software editor. I’d have to get another iPad, but no worries there.

Won’t have it home until I pay it off, but I’m thinking of even getting the SU200, even though I hated using that sampler. (It was like a root canal compared to using SPs).

1) didn't knew for the i-pad editors...do you know if there are some similar on the android field? btw, i tried the editor on the win7 and it worked...
2) the su200?...mmm...not the best choice but maybe using it as companion of the an200 could be cool who knows, never tried that until now (got both)...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 am 

https://squest.com/Products/MidiQuest_i ... index.html

For some reason there’s no DX200 support, but maybe from any DX7 synth it’s really no big deal.

I have only felt a slim chance of wanting a SU200, but only just to somehow toss in some 1 shot samples the 200’s can trigger from midi. But I had that thing for about 2 hours, and got so fed up with it I swapped it for a SP303. Currently there’s no local shop selling one, so it’s a Reverb.com/eBay if I’ve really got a hole in my wallet to go get one. I’d prefer a SU700, but I might not have the room for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 am 

http://www.stage-engine.com/dx200an200

This one is for Mac, but supports both models

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:22 pm 

Headphones wrote:
http://www.stage-engine.com/dx200an200

This one is for Mac, but supports both models

looks like exactly the same as for windows

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:17 am 

Picking this up when I get paid friday. Just need to get a midi cable to go with it. I can sit down with the AN, because I know the sequencer already. Even though you're limited to 1 bar loops, you can edit most of the sounds while it's playing. Having both just gives me more choices to sift through.

I also am picking up a Akai Miniak which has audio ins, so it should be interesting to blend AN & Akai/Alesis synths together. I might score a 2nd while I can, but probably just to change everything you can on it. But I'd need to get another iPad first. Later i want to use these with my Korg Volcas, but that's another experiment for another day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:18 am 

Now that I’ve picked it up and got a few midi cables, they gave away free records with my purchase! As soon as I got home, I made the DX200 the master & the AN200 the slave, and it took awhile to mix them properly. But once I got the units to mix right, I was glad to have both home.

Initial thoughts are that the AN200/AN1X synth engine is behaving like your typical Moog/ARP/Oberheim/Korg/Roland mono synth. I’m sure there’s endless ways to modulate the waveforms with the editors, but I do fine with the sounds provided. Anything the sequencer can do on the DX the AN can too. (Forward/backward, swing, transpose, etc). All people ever complain about is the “bug” when they don’t hear the first second of the new pattern when they change from one to the next, but it’s never annoyed me.

If you need some VA bass, synth, pad sounds with your SP beats, you could use this with your sequencer and trigger pads from either unit. Won’t be in any hurry to pick up a SU200, but I don’t mind doing it later. If you find 1 bar too limiting for your tastes, just hook it to your DAW, and then you got a extra synth with knobs on your desk to lighten the load on your CPU somewhat.

Anyway, I’m enjoying this. You might too.