It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:10 pm

Post subject: I Wonder...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

Will an MPC read a card from the sp-404 or do I need to format it? I just want the wav files so I can bring them into my MPC programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:41 pm 
Awesome Member

No, MPC's can't read 404 CF cards... :cry: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

guess i'll be throwing files back and forth with my card reader (or just sample str8 out the sp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Yeah, it would be pretty quick to sample the 404 with an MPC and you could have all your resampling and effects done already and compose on the MPC with a lot more precision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 am 
Awesome Member

Shit would be heaven like this. I'm working with the 1k and my 404 right now, but it's a lot of more work to put back your samples to the pc -> to the mpc cf/hd -> assign all mpc pads and programs-> and reprogram your patterns. I feel like I'm loosing some creative aspects of the 404 on this way... but once my samples are edited, it's a dope workaround for shure. MPC is a monster in sequencing. It surely takes more time for me to work things out, but the technical advantages of a mpc are just awesome. 8) (w/o a 404 it would be nuthin for me...)

btw. anyone got a tip for me to get the master compressor of the mpc heavy like the vinylsim comp on the 404?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I suppose just sampling from machine to machine is the most convenient way... when I look at those RCAs in the back of the 404 I can't help but think to myself, 'you're going to lose some sound quality doing this'. Of course, I may not be able to tell the damn difference anyway doing it card to card... It's just a tick of mine.

Compression has always been a mysterious subject for me. If I could master it, I would probably be happier with alot of my work. When I joined the MPC forums looking for advice about compression, I was just told that I'd be better off using a standalone model instead of the MP's. I learned the 'madlib effect' on this forum (sample music part quietly and throw a heavy compressor over both the drums and music) and thought it was awesome... well, it seems I can't go anywhere on this forum without hearing about the vinyl comp. do you put this across all the pads usually, or resample individual drum hits, or what? Really I wish I had some vague idea of how to use this feature, but maybe I should've reposted as a new subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

All those are good ideas for using the vinyl sim, so whatever sounds good to your ear is the best. I'll usually just throw it on my instrument samples to bring them up in the mix and allow them to blend together and I leave the drums without it so they are more defined and then I'll adjust the drum sound levels until they fit were I want in terms of frequencies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:37 am 

I've got an idea that MIGHT help you transfer cards to and from your 404 and MPC without going to the middleman.

1. Format a card on the MPC.
2. Put the card into your PC's card reader.
3. Copy all files into a temporary directory/folder.
4. Put said card into your 404 and format it.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for your Roland files.
6. Now copy the contents of the temporary directory, which contains stuff for both samplers, onto your card.

If the MPC exportrs and imports .wav or .aif samples to the root directory just like the 404, then you'll now be able to transfer the card to and from your 404 or MPC and import and export samples without having to use your desktop computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:27 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

It probably won't work as cards need to be formatted in a different way for both machines, but it might work if all the cards really need is a file structure with the correct folders. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:22 pm 
Awesome Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah I'm shocked... :lol: You know why... cause shit works, now!
Oh yeah 8)
I took the original 32MB AKAI CF CARD which had a 404 project and some exported samples on it. I pushed that card into the mpc ->load-> memory card and there it was ; Roland folder + exported samples. COOOL! BUT let me tell you after this suprise i tried another 404 project card and nuthing... so I guess loopar Xl wasn't that wrong.

This akai cf is kinda holy for me now... 32 MB of pure magic.

I'll try to figure out how to get "normal" cards compatible on both machines...I guess all you mpc users can feel my happiness.
(You can manage your samples on the mpc too/ delete exported samples without the PC...)
Yesterday i was like, fuck the MP I'm gonna get a second 404 BUT now... damn all those hard decisions. :lol:

*It's woooorking*

Last edited by wax inspektor on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 pm 
Awesome Member

Alright all I know so far is that Loopars description won't work. :cry:
After formating the cf with the mpc, there are no files on it (of course). I mean no system files or sth. ... When I put in the cf into the 404, the sp still wants to format it, too (of course) I tried to copy a ROLAND folder on the card to trick the machine but it still wants to format the card. So what might be the deal with my akai 32MB card??? Is it possible to buy extra akai cards???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:36 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Quote:
I'll try to figure out how to get "normal" cards compatible on both machines...I guess all you mpc users can feel my happiness.

If you don't figure it out, copy the entire content of the 32MB card to a new card with some more space and check if it'll work straight away. :)

There's something on there that tells both machines it's okey to make some data love hahaha, we definitely got to figure out what it is. 8)

Quote:
I took the original 32MB AKAI CF CARD which had a 404 project on it and some exported samples and I pushed into the mpc. It was easy like fuck...
load-> memory card and there it was ; Roland folder + exported samples. COOOL!

Sound like at least 2 things must have happened ... 1. it was formatted for MPC usage correctly in an MPC, 2. after that it was formatted on the SP-404?

You did not mess with copying folder structures and all that, right? I always thought the SP removed all other file structures on the card, but perhaps this assumption is wrong.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:51 pm 
Awesome Member

PHeMoX wrote:
Quote:

If you don't figure it out, copy the entire content of the 32MB card to a new card with some more space and check if it'll work straight away. :)

Clever idea but damn no... :cry: :cry: :cry:
only the akai card seems to work...

Keep on brainstorming guys...

Looks good ey?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
Sound like at least 2 things must have happened ... 1. it was formatted for MPC usage correctly in an MPC, 2. after that it was formatted on the SP-404?

You did not mess with copying folder structures and all that, right? I always thought the SP removed all other file structures on the card, but perhaps this assumption is wrong.

So, what you're saying is first format the card on your MPC, then insert it into the 404 and format it there? Hmm... :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:07 pm 
Awesome Member

No that didn't work. If you do it that way (format in mpc then format in 404) the card can't be read by the mpc...