It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

Post subject: About other stuff to use with the 404
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 am 

So I just recently got my new SP-404SX and I'm really really digging the sound coming from all DAW. The thing is is that I'm debating whether I'd want another sampler to go with it. For right now I wanna know whether I should get an MPC Renaissance, SP-555 or an MPC 1000 or just stick with the 404.

Post subject: Re: About other stuff to use with the 404
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 am 

If you're new to sampling/hardware samplers stick with one till you learn it inside out, you'll master it faster and have more of an idea which gear will plug holes in your setup.
Otherwise, renaissance if you don't mind being tied to a computer (it probably has the most advanced sequencing/editing features + visual feedback) or the 1000 if I want to be independent of a laptop. Imo the 555 is more of an alternative to the 404 that has a lot of the same functions, some improvements, but still has a fairly basic sequencer and ugly pitch functions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm 

as stated above . figure the 404 out first . another sampler probably wont be necessary at this point . especially if youre working in a DAW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 pm 

Do you use a DAW or like being away from a DAW? I wasn't sure when reading your question......

Either way I think it depends.......how long you've had the 404, how long you've been making music, how quick do you learn, how much time do you spend doing this, how easily do you get bored......what do you want out of this.......

An MPC goes great with an sp.........I adore using my 404sx with my MPC's.
But yes, if you stick with just the 404 you will gain sp ninja powers.

Personally I got bored using just 1 piece of gear. I need several. But that's me. I also spend about 40 - 60 hours a week with my gear.......every week.....for years.......it's an obsession. & just like a kid, I couldn't play with just 1 toy every single day for hours....just 1 toy.....every day........I would get bored of it. But if I just got the toy & it could do a lot of stuff, I might wait a month or 2 to add more toys.......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 am 

Kind of depends on the results you are after.

MPC Renaissance is Akai’s version of Machine, so if you want to use your 404 in a DAW environment, you’ll be able to have hardware control over your beats with the pads of the MPC. However, it can’t function without a computer running the DAW, which is what Machine does as well. This is a step out of the norm for Akai, because all MPCs were stand alone units with a rock solid sequencer. If you’re ok with this, then no worries. Otherwise...,

MPC1000 might be your next alternative. Rock solid sequencer, plenty of pads, and you shouldn’t have any problems making your 404 play nicely with one. Only downside might be making sure all pads are working (previous users may have hit the pads so hard they stopped working. Fixable if you run into this problem but maybe you’ll get lucky and it will run smooth).

SP5555 is like a 404 on steroids, but at least it has some new tricks up its sleeve, I think it has MIDI out? (I’ll edit this out if I’m wrong), and maybe some extra fx. You could definitely have one unit do BassLines, melodies, and have the other do the beats. Downside might be a weak sequencer, but at least you won’t have any learning curve with your 404 you know already.

Some people like to know how to use other samplers, because they sample the sounds more lofi, give it a more compressed grit other newer ones don’t. Others might have a better reputation for being reliable at what they’re good at. But they also are stuck with lower sample time. The models you chose aren’t too far backwards as far as that goes, so if you think you need a better sequencer, the MPCs might be what you need. Or you may just find yourself wanting more pads or FX to use with your 404. The 555 is the next logical step. Or, you might want to look into the Korg Electribe samplers. (ES-1, ESX, Electribe Sampler). It’s up to you.