It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am

Post subject: Re: DIY looper/sampler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm 

stick with it bud , I'm sure the answers will appear. Just gotta find the source of said information

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm 

Thanx GREAT. I am trying to hold my brains inside my melted head but it's a snails pace at this point.

The other route I could have gone was to add an Arduino and turn the pads into a midi controller and basically just map all the controls with in SunVox. But I was thinking the hard route I am going is going to give better latency results. I can't stand latency.

Well I hope the next time I post I will be jumping up and down because I got the pads to light up.

Once the pads are going then comes 3 pots that I have to get wired in and working .
Then next really hard part mapping controllers to the software because we won't be using midi but rather hard wired. It not only has to work with SunVox but any other software I find in the future.

basically I want this to be a looper , with synth engine with the ability to add any synth engines in future. Basically an iPad with controllers, I even considered ditching the Raspberry pi and thought about just doing arduino for midi and an iPad as the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 am 

Houston we have LIGHTS !!!!!!

Attachments:
lights.JPG
lights.JPG [ 117.35 KiB | Viewed 6547 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 pm 

Well the next road block I have come across is that the trellis uses what is called i2c to communicate. But SunVox uses MIDI,USB and GPIO to communicate. Soooo the dev told me he plans to add i2c in the next update, but I don;t know when that will be.

So now it looks like I will have to go the midi usb route which means I need to order an Arduino board.Plus if I go this route then almost all future synths and stuff that gets added to the box will work with the usb.midi not all will work with i2c

Unless some brainiac out there has developed a way for i2c to be interpreted as midi or usb....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:12 pm 

excellent . unfortunately I know zero about computer programming . Wish I had the knowledge you are looking for

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:41 pm 

Ok still stuck on the Trellis. I have ordered the parts to do the midi hat and and Arduino Leonardo (this brings the project to $143). The problem with the i2c to midi seems like it would be easy, in fact I know it is. The pieces to puzzle are right there in front of me. Somewhere someone has already done this...I think.

My theory is if the Raspberry can read i2c and Uart then it should be able to interpret each other. The reason again is that the midi through usb on the Raspberry has latency that is not acceptable to me. I tested it today with my midi keyboard and SunVox some very noticable latency. I will say this , I haven't gone through the Raspberry and done all the steps to eliminate latency, so maybe I need to do this before writing off usb.

Oh did I mention I am only in my first week of learning code. I didn't plan to learn code but when I realized that there is no software that does what I want, I realized I was going to have to teach myself code.

My 7yr old son said"Dad this is gonna take like 2 years to finish" ...how right he might be

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:44 pm 

Whew!!!! The mind is expanding at an exponential rate.

anyway a lil teaser of the software I am working on
Attachment:
Zip808.jpg
Zip808.jpg [ 70.06 KiB | Viewed 6483 times ]

This is made in Python. The red button you will press and hold, the blue button will drop down menu of available wav files, select wav file and it will load in that pad. The pad will only play from the 4x4 Trellis button pad

Sooo upon further exploration, I looked at Pure Data, to see if it handled i2c data. I only found a few mentions of it working and not enough information to go further but I will say this Pure Data is kool and fairly easy to learn.

I am now thinking I need to switch out the Trellis with the Sparkfun 4x4 pad. It uses GPIO pins and is larger which is what I originally wanted. However that path is also complicated as now I got to learn all about Arduino and get that working with the Raspberry...fortunately all the info is out there :-)

Merry Christmas all !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:52 pm 

that is some complex business

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 pm 

THEGREAT wrote:
that is some complex business

And to think companies like Korg,Yamaha and Roland have teams of engineers to do this. But thanx to ,Linux ,the Raspberry py and open source diy is sooo much easier now.

Mostly what I am doing is just copy and pasting code together to get all this to work

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm 

Ok update go this freaking Pure Data working, so now we are moving forward.
Soooo now I will be using not one programming language but two. Pure Data and Python 2.7. Sounds like a lot uh !!! Believe me the programming languages are not near as complex as Linux is.

Originally I was going to use a board called the Tsunami Wave trigger, this actually would have been the easy way to go, it has great latency and all the headaches are ironed out. But touch screen use in the music making process just sounded like the kool way to go. So if you want just a looper that is a great product. But I want all the bells and whistles :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:12 am 

Some success, finally got teh 4x4 to play a sound in Python. Now I need to get it to play a sound in Pure Data. More to come

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 pm 

Ok a lil more progress, now the Raspberry can move files from my pc into its folders. SO the idea is not to have any media just wifi to move files back and forth. Taking a break messing with paint

Attachments:
Future808.jpg
Future808.jpg [ 49.91 KiB | Viewed 6364 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 pm 

A lil update, I am still stuck on opening files with the graphical user interface I created, its very complex, in fact this whole project has gotten too complex. I am going to try for one more week, I am also going to look for a colledge student programmer at the local college and see if I can get me a real programmer.

If I am unable to get help on this then I am switching gears and going midi controller route. What this means is the buttons and knobs will simply be made into a midi controller. I also thought about using an Ipad instead of the Raspberry, kinda like the Behringer iStudio, have it so it slides into it or make it permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm 

hope you find right programmer bud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 pm 

Well I have been soo busy that the project has been on the shelf the last couple of weeks. But last night I found a programmer who said if I switch from Python over to C# programming language she would help me. So I have been checking it out, its similar to python but different so I see no problems. If I can get to the gui and get to where I am now in Python in C# I will then be able to enlist her help. She is a top notch programmer up in Canada. I met her years ago gaming , so we have stayed in touch ever since.

So yeah switching gears and now moving over to C# . So i predict in 3-4 weeks I should get to the same point to where I am now. And then I can get her to get me through the rest of the way.