It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Post subject: Pocket Operators.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:19 pm 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

Thanks to Sleeps Numb for pointing me to these..kinda wanna pick one up. They're priced so that it's kinda like 'why not? fukkit!' 60$ + shipping. 100$ if you want a nice case for it, but it's unnecessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssT4YVT ... BlEOplppUf

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po/

Post subject: Re: Pocket Operators.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:12 pm 

T.E. rocks. Had my eye on these things for a while now. Going to pick up the PO16 first.

Morning park jams with the 404 and the PO16 seem like a good time. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:42 am 

Definitely next or second on my list, but atm I'm recovering from a recent hardware get. $$$$

http://dr00py.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 pm 

Ok, i'm gonna be a bit of a downer here, but hear me out - I'm old and I know stuff...

I've bought ALOT of impulse/cheap/hey-thats-cool-for-the-$ gear, and usually I end up wishing i had just saved a little more for something that is going to stand the test of time and usefulness... for example, on theses new devices, did you realize there are no sharps/flats for the scaling - it's all C major....for me, that kills it right there (see: bliptronic 5000)

If these fit your needs, and you are excited, hell get em, don't let me dissuade you , trust me I know the lure of new gear.

$100 is half a used microbrute...or a used Korg ES/EM1, or a nice pedal, or or or....or save another 200 and you are in a nice range of products.

If I had all the money back I spent on cheap gear lust (that adds up btw), I could buy a nice used Honda Civic from the 90s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:31 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

How do you know this? I cannot find any info stating this.

Also, I'm a sucker for portable music I can make on the train. It's one of my 'things'. Call it a weakness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:36 am 
Winner of Silver Medal
Winner of Silver Medal

I found another claim to this. The claim is it's the C Major scale, but the oscillators can be freely pitched.

If you know your scales, then you must be aware you can make minor chords out of the C Major scale. ;)

I don't really see them as a serious melodic type composition tool anyway, they're just a little jam toy..as I said, I'm a sucker for those.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 am 

These little things are great sampler food (and usually are fun with effects pedels) but your point is taken. If one goes overboard then yeah, it can easily add up.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:52 pm 

As far as I have understood, these hook up to the Volcas, so keep in mind, $60 bucks just can't do everything a DAW or decent groovebox can. Might as well just use them for what they're good at, as a idea sketch pad. You could use your SP to compress, phase/flange, delay, etc them, and not need to sample a record/cd/mp3 as source material, but come up with a beat or bassline/beat/melody to toss in your production.

You do bring up a good point, save a bit more, find better things, and truth be told, that is good advice. But, sometimes a cheap device's limitations for it's price range simply means you just gotta work with it. The point is, just have fun with what you invest in, and if it was a waste of money, then sell it or trade it in for what else you want!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:07 pm 

hseiken wrote:
I found another claim to this. The claim is it's the C Major scale, but the oscillators can be freely pitched.

If you know your scales, then you must be aware you can make minor chords out of the C Major scale. ;)

I don't really see them as a serious melodic type composition tool anyway, they're just a little jam toy..as I said, I'm a sucker for those.

I have the bass one. The oscillator cannot be "freely" pitched. They're still on the CMaj scale. I gotta admit that it is a bit of a downer for me too... I still enjoy jamming a bit on it. It's good when you're in the bus or whatever!

I've sampled small wierd percussion jams with it...

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:58 pm 

what about the pitch effects? i thought there was one for each of octave up/down and semitone up/down? I have all three in a boxed set unopened. I might not keep if I am stuck in C.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:49 pm 

I dont know .. but ..

These things look interesting .. like if you had an 808 .. yea its limited .. but sprinkle it here and there in ya productions .. golden elements

Much like the Korg Volca range .. nd kp2's ..

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:12 pm 

i got me a PO-20 to be my alarm clock because i like to turn off my phone when i sleep. and i enjoy jamming on it and the challenge to make new stuff out of these 16 sounds over and over and try to come up with new ideas but i doubt you will hear any of it in my production. i find it good fun to play but little useful for actually making music. i like that, but i see people evrywhere buying sets of three pieces thats serious money invested. around here you pay 210 ish euros for that. for toys.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:52 am 

i own a few PO's they're neat, especially when you build breakout boxes 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:25 am 

I'm tempted by these now that I have Volca Bass/Beats/Sample, with Volca FM & Volca Kick on order as well. Buuuut, I've got to pay off 2 credit cards of studio gear now, so I would find it hard to choose even one, and even harder to justify buying 3-6 of them. But yeah, I can see myself doing so at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:43 am 

They just announced the 7th P.O.-32, the Tonic. It's the first that has a. Jolt in microphone, and actually syncs to a VST for making your own sounds to input into it. I'm getting more & more tempted to get these now.