It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:41 pm

Post subject: Got a MPC 2K XL
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm 

Card reader, 8 outs, travel case, memory card. good condition
a bit over priced, gently used and fully upgraded.
Anything I should know about this beast or any tips you can share before I get it?

One thing im worried about is the screen might get dim.

Anyway, ive been on the 2500 and 1000, I think the 1000 sounds like crap because when I hopped on the 2500 it was a million times better sound quality and rich, and from my experience the 2000XL has even a better sound that the 2500! , I know i coulda got a mv 8800 or 8000 for close to the same price im not shure what kind of sound those have, if it's rich and genuine like a vintage MPC .

So i hope this will hold it's value , So if i want to later, flip it and get something else.

One thing i just found out is no High pass filter. bummer dude.

is there an OS upgrade for the 2000xl with filters , shouldnt be to much of an issue though, I can EQ and filter, FX LOFI or whatever on the SP arsenol .

any tips ? , what do you think about the machine ? It's a giant step for me because I can now save unlimited projects and come back to work on them, even SP projects, just dump the samples into the MPC and remake the beat then I can delete the SP's whenever and keep the workflow going. One thing about SP only production is you can only work on a couple projects at a time then all of a sudden your out of banks. So unless you back up to tape or work on a DAW then your pretty limited in terms of saving projects to come back to. any advice and tips would be cool.
thanks.

Last edited by LO- on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Got a MPC 2K XL
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm 

Just wanted to throw this out there: the MPC 1000's and 2500's share the exact same sample engine, physical audio outputs and the same converters. They sound exactly the same. The MPC 2000XL is also standard CD-quality audio (16-bit, 44.1 kHz).

Even the venerable MPC 3000 is 16-bit/44.1kHz. If you really want that "MPC sound" then you're looking at an MPC 60 (or any sampler that has a 12-bit/40kHz engine).

Other than that it sounds like a bad ass find! A 2KXL using CF cards would be dope. My one tip is pretty small but get in the habit of saving "ENTIRE MEMORY" when you're working on a new jam/project. This will save all sequences, programs, samples and chops all in the same folder... ready to go next time you turn her on.

Sorry for the preaching but I figured you should be in the know now that you have an MPC yourself. Don't be like all those dudes in the Maschine forums. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:15 pm 

thanks for the tip man, keep em coming! Should be here tonight or tomorow, the dude isnt shure if it has ram expanded so, that might be a maintenece project .

I would disagree on the sound of 1000 and 2500 tho , I owned both and something about the 2500 sounded way better to me. I can not back this up with technical details, all I can remember is a much richer sound.

As for the 2000xl sound , I think there is more that 44.1 sampling at 16 bit that gives it a real authentic sound. I also noticed a difference in sound quality on 2000 classic VS 2000 xl. it could be other factors too making me come to these conclusions, ie turntable pre amp or compression .

Any one who went from a 303 to a 404 knows what im talking about .they are both 16bit 44.1khz

anyway just trying to explian why i think they sound different, I am always open to ideas, I understand what you mean.

Last edited by LO- on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:57 am 

yo medearis, how do you save the whole memory, I created a folder then saved all sequences and then saved all sounds , then rebooted and it seemed to all be there .

is there a way to have audio play in thru the inputs while the MPC sequencer is playing to que up the next sound I want to sample, or do I have to stop the sequencer and go thru the sample window.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:17 pm 

To save the entire memory you would go to SHIFT + SAVE then where you see "Save.... A SAMPLE" (etc) at, you should be able to scroll over to "ENTIRE MEMORY". Keep in mind this MIGHT not be on the 2000XL. I'm not 100% sure but you should be able to find out real quick. :wink:

Passing audio through the inputs should be as easy as heading to SHIFT + MIXER and looking around. On mine I have an "INPUT" section where I can (very easily) set everything up.

Again, I'm not 100% what the system structure of the 2000XL is right off the top of my head but that should be a push in the right direction. Wish I could help you out more, my dude!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:02 am 

thanks think I got it figured out. I think it might be impossible to monitor the in's while it is playing on the 2000xl.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:38 am 

That is a huge bummer about the inputs. With the way I use my MPC that feature is mandatory! I guess it is something that was added later on. I'm pretty sure the MPC 500 can do this, even.

Did the saving work how I suggested? Hope I didn't lead you in the wrong direction. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

Well it appears so far the XL is different than the versions you are familiar with, I also found it strange, at first look, I was like 'how the hell am I gonna make something on this,' because it was so alien compared to the SP's that I been rocking with so long, with my basic understanding of 1000 and 2500 I have already I was able to retrain my brain how to figure out everything without checking out the manual in 1 sitting with the machine. I watched a video how to autochop with the decay and 16 volumizer, didnt try that yet,

what you suggested is correct advice, however there is a few stepsfor the 2000xl, which is a bit time consuming, compared to dumping everything in ROOT.

1. create folder,
2. save all sequences to that new folder
3. save all samples to that new folder

voila thats a new project,

I always thought the 2000xl could sample sequences and monitor line thru, I was to used to the 2500,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:41 pm 

Word! Thanks for clearing that up. I've been on a 1K w/ JJOS1 for a while now so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Dude, just remembered that I downloaded an older video series that is all about the 2000XL. Wanna say it is a bit on the boring side but it's basically just a homie in the studio giving you a one-on-one. If you're interested I could figure out a way to get it to you when I get back in town (Sunday/Monday). Think it's a three-parter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:22 am 

yo medearis, thanks for the lookout, I think I should be OK, almost got the swing of this beast, unless you have the time to upload them for everyone to watch. going to be chopping more drums and hunting down some samples and loops.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:55 am 

LO- wrote:

One thing i just found out is no High pass filter. bummer dude.

I always thought if you got the fx card for the mpc2k that you'd get lo and hi pass filters, but I guess not? If that's the case, then just keep a SP that gives you the hi-pass filter effect handy. OR, you could use some guitar pedals that will give you that trick. It's just going to require a bit of work around.