It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 am

Post subject: maschine or spark-le
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 am 

greetings... it has been a while!

As much as i have tried to be an sp head.. and followed this forum heavily for a number of years.. i never caught on to the sp series the way i did my korg esx.. I recently sold my esx with full intentions of buying an arturia spark only to second guess myself into thinking it wasnt as flexible or powerful as i originally thought.. I know the Maschine is relatively powerful and is pretty easy to use in the step sequencer mode... but i donno.. all the software talk on the internet has me shook.. I am having sellers remorse..

Anyone used either of these units? anyone have anything to help a brother out with?

Post subject: Re: maschine or spark-le
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:54 pm 

I've not used either of the two, but I own an ESX, ES1 and multiple SP samplers. I'd say to go for the NI Maschine. It's not going to have that "tribe" workflow that the spark does, but I feel the maschine has better hardware and software than the Spark. Another thing to consider since both of these options is software dependent is the support and updates from the company. So far NI has shown they care about the lifespan of the Maschine whereas I've only heard small amounts of info on the Spark considering they've been out same amount of time. Also I see plenty of Maschine hardware controllers for sale used for the $150-$200 where I rarely see the Spark for sale used. If it was me, I'd go buy another ESX! Fuck all this midi controller bullshit! Send a message to the hardware companies that we want REAL samplers with innovative and new interfaces and workflows!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:43 pm 

yo formal!

thanks for the reply.. I just really tired of sampling my songs out of my esx and into my 606.. then exporting to the card.. transferring data from the card to the computer.. only to then upload to the internet.. its "a lot" of steps when i make music VERY casually and just want that kind of instant gratification... i donno.. I looked at the machine in semi depth last night and its looking pretty nice.. seems like the step sequencer isnt an afterthought and is a legitimate tool.. we'll see

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 pm 

maschine...i have the mikro, and while i wish i had the bigger controller, it's still an amazing setup. i'm in san antonio as well...

this is just a hobby of mine, i still need to really go deeper on the maschine though...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:12 pm 

Jetson,

Where are you at in town?

Would you be willing to chat on facebook or text or something for me to get a better idea of the controller?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 pm 

I work full time during the day. I'm over near Fiesta Texas. We could meet up at a starbucks if you want

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am 

Just remember Tim, there will always be some annoying step. I think if you want to avoid too much machine talk time then the maschine will eventually disappoint you. The rytm is sweet but, it too has the connectivity sample swap thing going on. Same with the OT, if you want to multi track on a daw, it'll be work.
I've got the op-1 which is pretty instant but I'm actually thinking of letting it go, just not what I'm wanting. But it's quite straight forward and with USB, you're there.
Idk, have you thought about a drum box like the nord with a midi controller and a looper?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:16 am 

Hi Tim,
Long time indeed!Have you consider using an ipad with hardware controllers?
BTW ,you said you export songs to sp-606 then export them to cf card as wav...why don't you use the 606 as audio interface and record straight to PC?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:40 pm 

@Jetson & Tim - I'm also in San Antonio (technically Helotes). Small world. We should meet up for some drinks or to jam/chill/talk shop. Word.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 pm 

wow - 3 from SA...what are the odds...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:54 pm 

The odds are odd. :lol:
Drop a line here if you're up for a meet some time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 am 

medearis my inlaws live really close to you! i am down to meet up but you guys are a lot closer together than i am to either of you... i am really close to the 281-1604 intersection..

korakios waaaaadduuup! the last time i looked the support/connectivity stopped at windows xp or something.. I messed with it once when i had the 606 the first time around but i am a step sequencer junkie.. and the sp series isnt filling that need.. I want it to really bad.. but it isnt.. as far as my brain can make it work.. I have the maschine app on my ipad and i find it to have terrible latency and get super frustrated trying to program beats on it.. I havent tried the dongle+controller yet though..

JBL glad to see youre still around here.. i totally get there will be a learning curve and that everything with have some kind of trade off.. I think i just impulse sold, and then started digging to find the best purchase and ended up where i am at now.. slightly overwhelmed and a little lost as to what to do exactly. I have thought about a lot of things but none of them seem as straight forward as the esx.. tonight i had myself convinced i was just going to buy the volca trio and be done with it.. but ill be in the same spot i was in before only no sampling. The rtm is amazing looking but cant picture myself dropping 1500.. when i was making beats a lot a few years ago i wanted/want the OCTATRAK BAD. But again.. cant justify my use ---> cost. I looked at the OP when they first started shipping and it looked super neat.. and had a lot of cool functions. seems cool.. if youre interested in selling or trading or both.. let me know.. i am actually watching/listening to to stuff on it on youtube while i have been writing..

Thanks everyone for your replies!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:06 am 

if any of you guys want to add me on facebook.. especially you SA doods.. find me @ tim richter.. my photo is me and wifey..

i also post a lot of artwork and kendama stuff on instagram @kneedeath.. if you add me on there send a message letting me know who you are!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 pm 

Yeah man, idk why I broke down and got the rytm. I actually had just bought an OT the month before. I sold it and lost about twenty bucks and sold some other shit too. Actually, I still feel the economic pain from it lol. Tbh, the rytm is both better and worse than the OT.
I really like my op-1 but I haven't had time nor been using it as a portable piece like I thought I would. It really is very cool but with my rytm and my other synths (and of course my sp's), I just don't use it much. If you're really interested in one PM me.
Oh and DO NOT get all the volcas, you'll kick yourself. I got the beats and it's alright but trust me, you'll get frustrated. Great additional piece but not main gear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm 

@Tim - I do not currently have a Facebook. Weird, I know. :lol:

@JBL - Why would one kick themselves for getting the three Volcas?