It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Post subject: Alesis SR 16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:48 am 
Awesome Member

Does anybody have one (and still use it) ?
How does it sound? Does it have a sequencer and midi-out so I can sync. it to the SP? Can I modify the drumsounds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:24 pm 

I sold most of my drum machines recently due to the fact that you can sample most and get better "tweaks" with other gear. Almost all my drum machines are in my mv right now- to your question if you would like to hear sounds from it i can upload some no biggie they were recorded from the alesis straight to the mv so no crazy changes in sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:44 am 

ya... I would probably stay away from drum machines unless your going for some analog modeling type drusm...in which case the sr16 is not for u :)

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:07 pm 

I agree with frantic. You can do a lot more with your drums with even a 303 than most drum machines today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 am 

I've got an sr16, I bought it just for the drum sounds, not to sequence with at all. I've sampled in some drums and added efx with the sp404. i don't use it much, but if I was looking for other drums then I hook it up to my sp. I don't really need it tho, and I've been thinkin' of selling it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:34 pm 

Why stay away from drum machines? That makes no sense to me. I sample as many drums as I can off of records, but drum machines provide a nearly endless supply of one shots to layer with my sampled drums off LPs. As Solace said, you can do a lot more tweaking in the SP sampler than the drum machine itself, but what I usually do is sample drums from records and my drum machines into my SP and tweak and layer from there. I have a DR-202 drum machine by Boss and it's got all kinds of parameters such as bass boost, resonance, reverb, delay, cutoff, etc. and you can get the drums sounding pretty dope even before I even start to tweak with my SP. I'd much rather fuck with knobs and shit on an actual machine in front of me than some one shot drums I downloaded off the internet.

Yeah, what I'm trying to say is don't sleep on drum machines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:28 pm 
Awesome Member

... Yeah that's what I want it for...layering drums...
I don#t want clean sounds, but I thought I could resample my programmed drumpatterns from the SR16 and make them sound fat ass by the ultimate MFX ?! Is this a way to go?

(I guess I'll have to hear some sounds to get a decision :? )