It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

Post subject: OP-1 question for the OP-1 heads
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:48 am 

I just oprdered one and it should be here by thursday but I have a pre-question question. If you can record an external input into the OP-1, you should be able to hear whats in the op-1 as your recording. So can you round robin the shit out of that thing (probably using the term wrong).

Can you record the op-1 back into the op1 and, lets say, use a 404 as an effects processor. It would make sense, right?
Just curious.

Been waiting on that thing to pop up on amazon.com from another source besides Japan. That shit would take forever to get to the states. GOT ONE THO! Cant fucking wait!

Post subject: Re: OP-1 question for the OP-1 heads
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 am 

You can record the output but that's different. I think you would play the synth through the sp, then record input back into the tape. I always record my loops to the 404 with tempo on so I get locked loops and then go back in so I'm not exactly sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 am 

Hey Spring! Not sure what round robining means with recording, but when recording you can hear what's on other tracks without them bleeding into what you're recording. Only the track that's recording to will record, the other 3 tracks will be OK. Only one track can be recorded to at a time (the synths are all stereo but bounce down to mono for recording to tape, record to album & it's stereo but not as flexible).

Using the 404 as an effects loops is totally possible in theory. Haven't done this yet (been meaning to have a crack at it with the KP3) but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure that what you're recording from (via the 404) isn't on the same track you're recording to & you should avoid any feedback.

But from what I've seen at the OP-1 forums, nobody's really discussed how to sample on it. If you're interested, here's how I've been sampling on the OP-1:
- record the source to tape & super carefully trim the sound there
- to trim the sound set the tape to beat-match, drop the play speed by -7 steps etc then cut the tape at the right spots
- then lift the sample (don't forget to drop it back in place so it's not lost afterwards)
- drop it onto one of the drum patches (other than the weird drum synth they're all just samples anyway)
- use the keys to play small portions of your sample like they're chopped
- adjust the envelope so the sound cuts out naturally (drop the sustain volume, make the decay slope nice)

+ Don't worry about bouncing tape tracks down using the tape recorder. Record to the album, then lift & drop to the tape. Bouncing down tracks tends to distort the audio, that or I suck at getting the right levels.

^If that doesn't make sense now, no worries. It ought to after a few days on the OP-1. Make sure you swing by the ohpeewon forums too, they're a helpful bunch & the battles they run are super handy for figuring out workflows & the advantages of certain functions.
springwater wrote:
Been waiting on that thing to pop up on amazon.com from another source besides Japan. That shit would take forever to get to the states. GOT ONE THO! Cant fucking wait!
Dude, nice score! Time won't move fast enough between now & Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:33 pm 

TIME HAS SLOWED DOWN SINCE I FUCKING ORDERED THE THING. iM GONNA BE ON THE UPS MANS ASS! (no homo)

But I watched a few cuckoo vids on youtube so I kind of get what your saying able the sampling of the op-1 and the lifting parts and making sure you drop em again thing. The first thing im probably going to do is figure that fucker out then figure out the aux send thing with the sp 808 and its millions of fucking effects. Its gonna be a fun ride.
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out, man, really helpful.