It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

Post subject: Master sequencer for SP... + QY100 review (sorta)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am 

I have an SP-303 but would also like to run some synths in sync with it. I've been thinking about Yamaha QY70 or Dr-202.... what do you think? Maybe something else? Budget is around the price of these units.

I've watched videos of Dr-202 and read the manual and by that alone I haven't got any real idea if it just sends on/off stuff and makes the external synth sound dull? Don't really know if the QY is any better with this. Of course QY has it's own synth but I'm looking for some Blade Runner / John Carpenter type of sounds...

My dream is a live rig of portable equipment without computers that could fit into a medium sized guitar pedal case or something. A drum machine and/or a sampler, a synth or two, some stomp boxes like delay etc.

Last edited by V8000 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Master sequencer for SP, drum machine, synth(s)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 pm 

QY70 looks awesome- multi midi chan recording, 480ppqn resolution, midi i/o
I'm sure you could plug in a nice midi keyboard, record your parts, then take it to gig. Internal sounds are not editable so your Blade Runner dreams will have to be fulfilled by another device. I'm sure you could find a nice synth engine in a small package somewhere and have a solid trio with QY, SP, and whatever synth you find. There are rack mount sound modules and all sorts of other options out there. BTW I love Blade Runner one of my all time favs!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... aqy70.html

C

Post subject: Re: Master sequencer for SP, drum machine, synth(s)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks Om! I looked for a QY70 but yesterday I ended up with QY100 which I got pretty cheap.

It's bigger than the 70 by an inch or so because of the guitar/line/mic input. At first I thought that feature would be totally useless for myself, but then I realized I could put just any signal through this thing's amp simulator and effects and have a sort of "external source" input like the SP's... only mono. Haven't got to that yet, this thing has so much stuff in it that I have merely scratched the surface. Haven't really got into the midi connection yet either.

Of course the QY100's memory card slot is a cool thing to have compared to QY70.

Actually you can edit internal sounds cutoff and such, haven't tried it yet. Most of the sounds are really 80's and 90's basic rompler sounds I guess with synth string stabs, Impact sound, world music, harpsichords and all that shit... some of them sound actually very usable like sinewave bass etc. You can probably tweak them with effects 'though they are probably on the more conservative side. I can give you a report once I get to it! But I am definitely gonna need a Shruthi-1 or such later.