It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Post subject: Really need help on this one - br-600 ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:33 am 

yo.

i already have 404 + pt-01 and i'm all good with this. only thing i'd like to add is boss br-600. i was like "wow!" about this thing till now but i started to have some doubts recently. have checked out the manual and here are some questions:

1. how is the drum machine on this thing ?
2. there're lot of COSM effects designed for bass/electric guitar. Do they work well with other sounds ?
3. since there's no XLR input are there any quality losses while using XLR mic via converter cable ?
4. can i connect 404 directly to high impedance bass/guitar input ?
5. how pitch shifting works ? no artifacts ?

what would you guys hit up for if you have like $400 and it's gonna be your last piece of gear this year?

i'm asking coz i'd like to add something to my stuff and stop looking for new equip for some time and concetrate more on making music. and i want to spend my money right.
you know how it is - everything is not enough :wink:

P.S. Is it possible the damn AC adaptor is NOT included ? shit, that's what i've just read in the manual....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:32 am 

If I were you I'd look into the Tascam DP02cf. It's VERY easy to learn and has built in XLR mic pres. I use it with my 404 and love it-doesnt seem to be a pitch shift on it, and no drum machine, but with a 404 do you really need that?

Post subject: Re: Really need help on this one - br-600 ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:37 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Quote:

I guesse its good. I think it has like 8 drum kits or something. You can make a pattern live or put the drums on a grid. I dont really use drum machines though so I'm not sure how good it is compared to others.

Quote:
2. there're lot of COSM effects designed for bass/electric guitar. Do they work well with other sounds ?

yeah, they have fx designed for guitar, bass, voice, drums, all kinds of shit.

Quote:
3. since there's no XLR input are there any quality losses while using XLR mic via converter cable ?

I dont know, never used it. One thing I do know is that the onboard mic is suprisingly very good.

Quote:

yeah, i think you can gook the guitar directly to the 404 mic input.

Quote:

I know there is pitch correction (for singers) I dont know if there is a pitch shift though, I gotta check that out.

I really like the BR600. its def a great piece of gear for what I need it for. the only thing I wish it had was midi connections so I dont have to manually sync the tracks together. Yeah I think they gype you on the AC adapter- I went thru some batteries before finally getting ac adapter.

Post subject: Re: Really need help on this one - br-600 ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:30 am 

I got one:D

Quote:

Its good. the internal sounds are crap but this thing can sample for like 12 seconds or something. 6 in stereo..

Quote:

They work very well with other sounds. Many of the guitar and vocal efx are in mono only, but you have a lot of crazy efx for line input that are in stereo.

Quote:

I can not hear any loss. The main reason some mics use xlr is that it can power a condenser mic. And as said the internal is really great for things like acoustic guitar.

Quote:

It has a stereo line input. That is the best one to use.

Quote:

It has pitch shift put it isn't mutch better than the one in the sp.

The ac adapter is a must to use. But you schould have some batteries in there to so you can sample crazy things in the nature and city.

if you have some more questions just ask.

It works great with a computer to:)

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 pm 

thanks for feedback guys!

shit, i was sure i'm gonna buy this thing but now, after reading your answers, i dunno is it so good idea to put my money in it... for me it looks like this right now:

- they don't give you "built-in drum machine" coz as kristoffer1989 wrote sounds are crappy so what you really get is 12 pads where you can sample 13 seconds total reffering to the manual. but ok, i think i could live with that

- i'd use it with 404 and pt-01 ttable since i can't play bass/guitar and i don't know if it wouldn't be a waste of features since a lot of stuff there is for bass/guitar.

in other words: would you recommend it for a non-guitarist ?

- it seems there's no real, good pitch shifting again and i was really happy about that...

@kristoffer1989:
- how's the "Pitch Shifter" (Manual p.106) - you mean this one to be as bad as in the 404?
- how's the "Pitch Correction" - is it ok while using on vocals ? how it works on other kinds of sound ?
- as to the AC adaptor i meant - is it NOT included in package ? in manual it's mentioned in "Options" (p.219)...

Thanks again for helping me out. Maybe there's something else out there for me. if you have any suggestions let me know.

P.S. have to say that - if you don't dig it yourself you're fucked. i mean this pitch shifting thing for example. as for the 404 i read it here on sp-forums and i knew what i was buying. but someone who didn't find this forum or read only the manual could be all happy, spend like 300 bucks only to find out "fuck, pitch shifting is fuckin crap". the same with br-600 - if i haven't asked here about it i'd still be convinced i'm gonna buy nice multitrack which i could record to, do pitch shifting and have nice drum sounds built-in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:10 am 

lobuz wrote:
@kristoffer1989:
- how's the "Pitch Shifter" (Manual p.106) - you mean this one to be as bad as in the 404?

Well it is not great. it is not like doing it on a computer or something. Ill try it later today. maybe ill upload some sounds if you want... i do think its a bit better than the 404 though.. but ill check..
lobuz wrote:
- how's the "Pitch Correction" - is it ok while using on vocals ? how it works on other kinds of sound ?

Well i haven't jerket around that mutch with the pitch shift. a bit only. it is not like autotune. you do not sound like t-pain or akon thru it(THANK GOD!) but i do think it is pretty good for fixing small fails in singing vocals.
lobuz wrote:
- as to the AC adaptor i meant - is it NOT included in package ? in manual it's mentioned in "Options" (p.219)...

yeah i know. what I ment is thatyou schould really buy it:P

Ok this is what I think of it.

I play:
guitar, sampler, synth and laptop.

what i use the 600 for:
record samples(great internal mic, and battery)
record all my acoustic guitar with it.
scetchpad.
transfer 404 beats to my mac in a easy fast way.

Would i recomend it for someone who doesn't play guitar?

Absolutely!
I have made some cool beats with just my microkorg a drummachine and the br. it has a lot of cool efx. don't think about if it says guitar or bass efx.
many people use f.ex guitarpedals on their synths, vocals bass and so on.

i would really recomend it for you.

Have any more questions? just ask:)

http://kristofferlislegaard.com/