It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 am

Post subject: Zoom H4 portable recorder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:17 am 

I've just bought this recorder for traveling purpose and all I've got to say is it's ill for under $300. I've got 2 SD cards, 1 512MB and 1 4GB, windshield protector, a travel case, a tripod stand, wallmount charger for $250.

It's a big brother of the Zoom H2. It can also be connected with your computer and be used as a soundcard. Cubase LE also comes with it too. I haven't done any recording to the computer through it yet but it's fairly easy to hook up. There's no driver to install as far as I know.

The little H4 comes with mic modeling too. There are 4 types of microphones that it mimics. There's compressor and limiter built in. Can be battery powered.

it's dope if you're looking for a portable recorder + sound card, all in one solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:49 am 
Awesome Member

that's fresh. i was about to pick up a H2. why'd you go with the H4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:02 am 

Peace iG9,

I got the H4 because of it's only $100 more than the H2 retail. But I got mine for $250 plus a bunch of other accessories. But the biggest reason is the ability to turn it into a soundcard via USB. The H2 can't do that. So now I have portable 4-track recorder which can also be my soundcard. I can dump my tracks from the SP505 into Reaper via the H4. Reaper is one hell of a program too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 am 

oh yeah I forgot to add, the H4 has a 1/8" line output which can be hooked up to your camcorder if you have a line in on your camcorder. You can do a little videotaping with great sound quality on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 am 

the h4 is cool, i thought about getting that and in some ways wish i had. but the h2 is just smaller and there seems to be an almost inaudible buzz that the h2 doesn't have when recording in HQ(and i think that's only with batteries). the h4 has so many inputs though, plus effects, 4-track recorder vs. h2: stereo surround record(never used it) and it's pretty compact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:44 pm 
Awesome Member

thanks for the replys, i think it's clearer now, i'm still getting the h2... actually first i'm gonna try 404+SM57 for a field recorder and see what kind of results i get, then if i'm unhappy with the quality the H2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 am 

if you have some smartmedia cards - 128mb or less - you are much better tracking down a new PS04 - have seen them box new in some stores still. Thats the predecessor to H4

4 tracks - 10 takes each track - built in mic - usual inputs and outputs.

AND 2 rhythm tracks - DRUM and BASS - so some people argue it's 6 tracks.

while it comes with preset rhythms they are ALL able to be modified to your own programming or programmed from scratch - good quantize breakdowns that permit real time recording of bass/drums or step-thru record sequencing of drums/bass. The drums and bass are even velocity sensitive (!)

in short - its' a pocket programmable drum and bass machine that the world been sleepin' on. It will permit copy of your copy of patterns and chaining them into songs.

Only 4 drum/bass kits but you can apply Send and Master effects (has heaps of INSERT effects but can only be used on MIC/INputs -, not rhythm tracks )- then bounce to a take - effect more, bounce again - layer etc. Use this kick on another kit's snares - layer two basses on same phrase - detune one etc..

It's not usb connection like H4 but has basic software to convert recordings to WAV files thru your smartmedia card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:47 am 

I'm getting 3 H2's for school [hey, it's government money!]- for podcasting purposes. I would love a H4, but I'll just be borrowing the H2 from school instead :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:04 am 

The H2 can be used as an audio interface via USB. It has both line and mic inputs with plug-in power (that can be switched off, by the way). The H4 has two XLR inputs. Like I said in another thread about this, you can get an eye bolt that would fit the tripod socket, attach a snap hook and a neck strap to it so you can carry it around your neck. Watch out for the flimsy SD card door flap on the H2. It can break off easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 pm 

Damn - high school kids are gonna break that then - I hope the unit still works with no door!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm 

what classes do you teach 606man?

you gotta bring the 606 along, show the kids how it's done

my VCE education was sorely lacking in terms of subtractive synthesis, crate-digging, break chopping :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 am 

I'm primarily an English teacher (hard to tell from my forum ramblings, I know :roll: ); but I also teach History, Drama and Dance. Arts/Humanities subjects I guess you would say.

The music teacher at my school is really traditional and guitar-oriented, so no sampling unfortunately :x .... He is getting old though - I'll get my chance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:50 am 

nice, humanities have always been my interests too. didn't like that maths shit