It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Post subject: HI Buying a new Zoom R8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm 

Hi , i just joined ur forum , appreciate all the gr8 indepths on Zoom R8, actually , didnt exactly understand , u can use only one effx @ a time ??? and most of all can u use pre effx , B4 n as u record , so u can hear ur voice / gtr with effx as u record .on head phones . does it have compression , limiter , can u use reverb and delay togther along with compression / Limiter , may be gate also , B4 and as u record .. any advice appreciated thanks sam

Post subject: Re: HI Buying a new Zoom R8
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm 

I don't know about 1 effect at a time, I think its 2, but yes you can wet the inputs and whatever comes in.

There's a very well detailed vid on youtube, of one guy making a whole beat from scratch just on the R8 and his guitar. He banged out the drums from the R8's pads, then he plugged his guitar and triggered a Bass effect that changed the sounds of his acoustic guitar into basslines in realtime (like an SP). I will find that vid for you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlsofvcUIXM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:16 am 

Weird, i just bought one today. Was on sale. Didnt even plug it up yet but i can get back to you tomorrow. Bout to set it up in a few minutes. Im amped up about audio interface part. Hopefully it makes it easy to track shit out. The easier the better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:28 pm 

The bass effect is dope. Im not sure if it works like the subsonic on an sp but i like just having the amp sim option to dirty up whatever i want. I dont play guitars btw. After a night with this thing, im impressed at all the features they packed into a small affordable box.

1. loop tracks- i can record a drumloop, set that track to a loop track, check my in and out points and just let that drumloop go on forever to the tempo or even not to the tempo. (i recorded 8 tracks, just random shit to test it out, non of the tracks worked together but after setting loop points and running em through the insert effects and bouncing with fx, i was able to make a pretty weird track of a bunch of noise that ended up sounding like a beat, not really tho)

2. quick usb connection. Fuck the interface btw. The cubase disk that came with it is BS, mad that i even tried to set it up but the machine works as a card reader so you can record 8 tracks, then link it up through usb, then grab those tracks fast as fuck and drop em in a DAW.

3. Quick recording, no routing bullshit like on the roland VS series or tascams(which is way easier than the VS series)

4. I didnt dig into the sampler because i have one but it seems like your entire track would be dedicated to that one sample. Which makes sense if you have a 4 bar loop that runs in its entirety but not so good when you just wanna sample like 5 drums and rock out, your already using 5 tracks. Might be able to bounce em to one tho.

5. Effects out the ass and they sound pretty good. Like i said, those amp sims are great. Worked like the vinyl sim compression but differently and with a ton of presets.

I think thats all i got. Pretty dope machine. Hope this answers some questions you didnt ask.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 pm 

Yeah Knobs!! Thats the video. That dude got a few other videos on the R8 too. I know he used a guitar, but my mind was drifting about using vinyl :mrgreen:

I like the concept of timestretching on the R8 too. Its done by bars instead of BPM, so one bar sample can be stretched to 4 bars and stays on time. No pitching though.

I'm still looking forward to buy it but I'm saving my money for another sampler.

@Springwater - what are the editing features for the sampler? And can you change sampling frequencies?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 am 

Not sure about the frequency. Honestly, going through some of the amp presets, its sort of like downsampling in a way, the sound i mean. It has a lofi compressor on there too which sounded pretty good, no lofi ring but it was very similair to the vinyl effect on the 404sx.
You cant do any crazy zone chopping and all that mpc shit, but from the looks of it, its pretty much like sample editing on an SP. Record something on a track, Trim it, truncate, make it gate or one shot( which we are familair with) or make it track, where you can have it trigger in sync with the tempo and quantize it to the grid. Probably only good loops. I haven't dug too deep into it yet, thats a tonight job but if you wanted to, you could sample sounds on each track (one shots or loops) and trigger em to loop endlessly or one shot em through out the track.
Kinda fucking great in my opinion, make a pattern on the 404 and since i cant resample patterns, id send it to the R8, trim it, make it loop on a track. Alter the pattern then do the same on track 2. Then hit up the grid and step record them to alternate. Similair to the 808 when you record into the 4 track with quantize to (entire pad) and set the tempo according to the pads bpm.
Sorry, im a long winded kind of dude.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 am 

Some points -
l
1) Zoom cut back on the edit functions from previous gear - for Trim, Loop Point setting the smallest division you can move is 1/4 (12/48) of a beat.

That will be too big for some fine slicing - you can trick the R8 by increasing the bpm to max 250 and making that 12/48 division smaller - then resetting your tempo... but that can still run tendency of too much space before your sample - or scalping the head off it.

2) Ability to import files across projects - this is awesome, organize your projects into groups (your drum "project", your bass "project"..etc..) bounce out from those and then import to your final grand project. If you want tweak your drums go back to your Drum project - bounce out the result and back into your final... and so on..

3) Send out the box - you have recorded into R8 your pattern sequence from 404. You can send it out back to the 404 to FX and back in to R8.

2 Ways to do this -

a) assigning your track to be effected to the metronome and headphone output

b) sending out from the normal outs - but make sure you *don't* enable the R8 to Monitor the input when recording the incoming.

In case b) I the 404 headphones to monitor the performance and rely on the R8 meters to check for clipping.

http://www.myspace.com/tha1punchd

=

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 am 

holy shit man, uping the tempo to get past that stupid 1/4th bullshit. Man, i was just trying to hit on the tick of the metronome. I was like, why the fuck cant i get my start point to the right spot, who would make editing like this, with no fine tuning. That should work perfectly. FUCK YEAH MAN!

I was banging live loops into the R8 and then trying to turn em into loops and bounce down when i got it eq'd and trying to edit the start and end points were a pain in the ass.

Thank you sir (or maam)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:21 am 

Ordered a DP-008ex today for simple portable recording. Then moments later did research on the R8 and seems like more for the buck. I'm leaning towards getting the R8 now but afraid that the lack of editing tools and elongated workflows might take me back to wanting the DP-008ex.

I see a lot of reviews of these type of machines from guitar songwriters/singers, but never from beatmakers. I really just want to turn it on and lay loops on track. I use Ableton as my DAW, but it's kind of a pain to turn on/load to make a simple beat, even with an SSD in my laptop, haha. Would be nice to use the R8 along Ableton though.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 am 

The r8 is a nice loop grabber. With that Bpm tip a few post up, it's even better. It edits good enough. But for laying down track by track, exporting those wave files to ableton then arranging there is perfect. I use cubase. Lay down some random shit, export to cubase then figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am 

i'm looking at one mint condition on craigslist for only $150. but just not sure if it will make my life any easier or simpler. probably just gonna stick with garageband for recording...