It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

Post subject: Next! DJS-24 Sampler & The SP-202...and the MS-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 am 

Sup guys, I've had this sampler for a while and not only until today, when I got a SP-202, did I feel the need to bring it to anyones attention. It's a lot like the MS-1 / SP-202. I'm assuming this sampler was made to compete with the MS-1 or the 202, seeing as how I don't own an MS-1, and I now own an SP-202; I thought I would review the DJS-24 / compare it to the legendary SP-202.

sp202:

- Has no sequencer/re-sample

- Can run on batteries, The DJS-24 cannot

- Sample frequencies: 3.91 - 7.81 - 15.63 - 31.25 KHz

- Expensive memory upgrade ( The memory cards around about $60 - 90) removable though, so there for you could have more than one and interact with other devices.

- Has some amazing effects, some argue the best of any SP series. A total of 6 effects + loop & reverse.

- Features a Built in mic, headphone jack, and mic input.

- Allows the mixing of the line-in and mic.

- Has midi in.

- Allows for effects settings to be saved per sample, No other SP does this that i know of.

- Very limited sample editing.

- 1 voice poly on banks C and D.

DJS-24:

- Has a simple sequencer.( Same as ms-1, I think)

- No midi in/out/thru.

- Sturdy metal body, entire thing is made of metal, the "pads" are also heavy duty; They're like a mechanical keyboard for a PC, but with out the click noise.

- Pitch shifter is much more powerful than the 202. ( I know the 202's pitch shift is amazing, compared to other SP pitch shifts :P)

- Is 24bit, where as the SP-202 is 16.

- Sample frequencies: 22 - 32 - 44.1 KHz

- No built in mic, mic port, or headphone port.

- Has a port for connection with computer. ( Not usb, I don't know what it's called, reminds me of a Dsub)

- Cheap, but hard to get memory upgrade ( 5 dollars for full upgrade; but only shipped to Germany.. had to make a new friend for that one.)

- I have yet to find a manual for this thing.

- Has very nice non-destructive sample editing using a jog wheel.( MPC2kOG spoiled me on jog wheels, so this one doesn't blow me away)

- Has this odd "scratch" feature that attempts to emulate vinyl scratching by allowing you to manipulate the sample with the jog wheel as its playing.

- Allows looped and reversed play back, but has no effects, although it has a compressor.

- Has 3 modes of play back, 2 different one shot modes and 1 gate mode.

- Allows more than 1 voice poly on the C and D banks.

- The only reason it can connect to a PC is for 1 program that I know of, and from what I know it's just for getting files onto/off of the sampler; I'm assuming because this thing doesn't have a flash card, or any removable storage.

- This thing hates short samples; it only allows you to edit down so short, You might need to leave some blank space after your drum hits and other short 1 shots.

The SP-202 and the DJS-24s similarities:

Both of their 1 shot modes suffer from the same issue of not repeating themselves when pressed again while already playing the sample, they just cut off, as if in loop mode on a SP-404. I need to find out of this same problem happens with an MS-1, If not I might be looking to get one!

- 8 sample pads across 4 banks.

- 4 voice poly.

- Same display.

- Same work flow as any SP.

- Both can loop & reverse samples.

- Samples are saved when you turn off the unit.

Both would be half their size without their battery compartments; The DJS-24 doesn't run on batteries, but it has some that it uses for memory storage when its turned off.

The MS-1 and the DJS-24

( Remember, I've never even used a MS-1 just going off of what I know)

From what I do know; it's that the MS-1 is a lot like the 202; it has expensive hard to find memory, It is, from what I understand, a 202 but with a sequencer and no effects. The main difference is the work flow of the MS-1, It looks to be a much more menu based system.
The MS-1, like the 202, can only have 1 voice polyphony on any non-internal banks; it however has 5 total banks, instead of the 4 that a 202/DJS have with max memory.

The DJS-24 reminds of me an MS-1 that has the workflow/feel of the SP series, like a 202, but it doesn't have the midi In & Out that the MS-1 has; I don't use midi currently, nor do I plan on it.. I would much rather have an MS-1 over either the 202 or DJS-24 if I were into that type of thing. I think having more than 1 voice poly on C and D bank makes up for its lack of midi, making it more catered towards live performance and banging out beats by hand.

The MS-1s offers 4 sampling frequencies 16 to 44.1 kHz. So it goes as high as a DJS-24, but not as low as a SP-202. The SP-202s standard is 15.63kHz, which is about the same as the lowest on the MS-1, so it offers higher quality at the price of not as much lo-fi.

Conclusion:

The SP-202 running on batteries without a sequencer/re-sampling is a massive cock tease, and so is the DJS-24 with it's sequencer and already existing batteries that are not even being utilized for powering the unit, the fact that the MS-1 can run on batteries and has a sequencer makes it the best in the portability department, It just needs some effects and it would be the perfect portable all in one unit, it would pair amazingly with a 202.

I have not used either the SP-202 or DJS much at all yet; but both seem great in their own right. The DJS-24 obviously is catered to DJs/live performers and people wanting very high quality recordings with higher sample frequencies and bitrate.
The 202 on the other hand offers the ability to have higher quality samples, but also is able to cater to your lo-fi needs along with supplying effects.

Post subject: Re: Next! DJS-24 Sampler & The SP-202...and the MS-1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm 

strayfield wrote:
[quote=
Both of their 1 shot modes suffer from the same issue of not repeating themselves when pressed again while already playing the sample, they just cut off, as if in loop mode on a SP-404. I need to find out of this same problem happens with an MS-1, If not I might be looking to get one!.[/quote

The problem with one shots on the 202 doesn't happen with the card banks as they have no polyphony. When you press them again it just re triggers or cuts the other sample out. With the MS-1 you have a mute group to get around this.

I'm really interested in the DJS-24 though, I've never seen or heard of them before. Ebay here I come.

I was unable to get this to work on the 202s C/D banks, it doesn't re-trigger, it just cuts it self out still. It might cut other samples out though, i didnt try that.