It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

Post subject: Roland VS 1680
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 pm 

Hello- first time posting. I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum, but here's the story

I've owned a VS 880 since new (around 1990) and bought the CD burner that Roland sold as well. A couple years ago I bought a used VS 1680 and have been using it since. I now mix down to a seperate Tascam unit for mixing so I never tried burning to CD from the 1680.

Now the 1680 hard drive is full so I planned on burning the song data to CD and freeing up space. It turns out the OS is still the original 1.01 version and the burner requires 2.1 or better or I get an error message

So I went to the Roland site and downloaded the 2.5 update. My pc doesn't have midi so I ordered an EMU usb to midi converter and was told by the Roland tech (this was about as much help as he gave) to load the 16 midi files (sys ex) into the 1680. You power it up holding 2 track 7 buttons and it prompts you- update OS? yes, tried loading in the files and got a Midi format error. It loaded the first 2 files then quit.The drop down menu for a sequencer to send the midi files were the one that came with my PC (didn't work as it wont send sys-ex) and the one that came with the EMU midi converter. That's what I used when I got the midi format error

I've been messing with this for weeks and just cant figure it out- can anybody help?

Post subject: Re: Roland VS 1680
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 pm 

I had a type of issue with my MV8800 when I wanted to update it to 1.01. When I downloaded it from Roland on to my PC running Vista, I couldn't get it to install on the MV. I tried for hours and nothing. Then I thought "Ok, the MV is 2004 tech, so it'll be best to use 2004 tech" I burned the update to a CD and dusted off my old Toshiba Satellite that runs XP and copied on there and it recognized the file easily, (On the vista, the file just showed up as a text file, but on the XP it showed the little MV icon). Lo and behold, it got installed in 3 minutes.

My point is, that maybe the old is not recognizing the new, causing these problems. But installing updates via MIDI is always a pain.