It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

Post subject: Op-1 vs. octatrack
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm 

Who has one or both? Why do like/love it or not?

I tend to prefer simple and limited but with ability to get deeper when I want. Lately, I want four independent tracks that are tightly sequenced and can be manipulated on the fly. I've studied both extensively so I don't need specs breakdown. My fears are that the octatrack a learning curve will be off putting and not fun. But for the op-1, I can't control external gear (w/out iconnect midi, which I plan to get anyway) and it does seem to have some technical flaws honestly. Of course, I want both but...
Finally, iPad and iconnect should do most anything op-1 does no???

Post subject: Re: Op-1 vs. octatrack
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:40 am 

Hey! I just bought an OP-1 on holiday the other week, pretty happy with it. Getting around the OS is pretty simple. I figured out 2/3 of its functions in about 3 or 4 hours when I was really tired, so the learning curve is more how to use it creatively rather than how to use it full stop.

A couple of mates have the Monomachine & Machinedrum, watched them mess around with them and yeah, they are really complex. I've messed with the Octratrack in some stores but they're too complex to pick up in a few minutes. They seem a bit like Ableton in a box (open ended), which is OK if that's your thing.

Like you, I also really like the idea of quick & simple workflow. The tape tracks can't be manipulated separately (natch), so get ready for some meticulous editing to make stutters etc. The synths & FX are just OK, a bit hamstrung by the 4 dial limit so when you know the sound of each module its pretty obvious. The sampler is nothing like an SP (mixed blessing there), lacks chopping (which is fine, you'll see why when you use it) but has no trim or mute groups (hope they fix that in later OS updates).

Also don't underestimate the 3 main kinds of sequencing on the OP-1 (the tombola's useless). The finger sequencer took a little bit of getting used to but now I love it. Plus the pattern can be good for arpeggios with chord changes. Plus the tape can be recorded to in real time for unquantized glory. Its really flexible like that.

A bit plus is that the tape can record aux ins. So if you have any other portable gear you can record them to a tape track just like the internal synths & sampler. I've been running a Nintendo DS with the DS10, a Korg Monotron duo & Ipod into it & gotten great results.

The OP-1's fine at USB midi. Got it controlling Reason 5 right now. Teenage Engineering's even made a patch for it to automap across the latest version of Reason & Ableton. Think of the OP-1+DAW combo as a way to make loops & drum packs etc, then save them on the OP-1 for manipulating them there. Otherwise its just a really expensive midi keyboard.

Overall the way I think of the OP-1 is its designed to run with other things to open up new options & get you thinking differently. Coming from the work-around/DIY mindset that SPs encourage the OP-1's a natural fit.

Have a chat with some other dudes here that are more experienced with the OP-1 for pro-level feedback. Virtual Flannel & Yellow Tangerine have both been noticed by Teenage Engineering because of their skill on the OP-1 (VF's even done a couple of drum packs for them!), plus Hseiken has done a beat tape or two with it.

^Shit, hope that's not too much to read!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:38 pm 

Nice, thanks.
I always get worried when I go to ohpeewon forum though, seems like every other person posting has some issue, but whatever...
The new analog by oktatrack has me intrigued as well.
One thing is, I don't even have a daw. I feel like many people seem to use the op-1 with a daw. Anyway, thanks for the info, it's like some people really love the op-1 too. Btw were u saying the synth sounds aren't very versatile?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:37 pm 

Hey, as jbl mentioned I am a big OP-1 fanboy haha! If I had to choose between my iPad3 and OP-1, no question I take the OP-1. iPad is really nice for sampling in to the OP-1 though. I also used to own an Octatrack, I had to sell it because I needed rent money and I didn't use it to it's full potential. I really loved it though as a live effects unit. Here is the thing with the Octatrack, it does have a huge learning curve and here is why. The Octatrack is almost modualar in that it doesn't really do much until you set it up and program it to do the things you want. To get a good workflow you have to first figure out how you want to use the unit, as it has so many different was to be used. Then it might take a week to get it set up to how you want to use it. Once you have this template, you start each song or project from this template. You really can't just re-set the unit and work from scratch every time like I do with the OP-1. Summary...OP-1 rules get it, its the greatest thing ever. Octatrack is awesome if you have a lot of patience, but will pay off big time if you put in the hours and master it.

My 303 stay on Vinyl Sim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 am 

Hey flannel, unfolding said that but I knew it as well. I like your stuff and I know you use the op-1 a lot. Honestly, i don't think I have time in my life to learn the octatrack right now. I just want something that's built as well as my sp-404 but with more flexibility. I'll get the op-1 sooner or later. What about the synths, are they flexible? And will I need to get daw to realize the op-1's potential?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 am 

Hey JBL! What I meant about the synths is that they aren't as flexible as a standard & stand alone synth (natch). Each synth patch has only 4 points to alter the sound + ADSR on the synth's amp + FX + LFO (in that order). While the 4 encoders don't make each module particularly varied in tone, the ADSR+FX+LFO does help a bit, plus you can resample to get more unique tones. Just all synths, if you don't dig deep into it it'll sound a bit generic. A plus is each module's totally different to the others.

Feels kinda like I dissed the synths in it back there, but I didn't mean to. Just meant that they're a bit limited, each module is meant to have a specific timbre. But that's fine because like an SP the OP-1's a workaround machine.

Have you checked this yet? http://now.teenageengineering.com/op-1-external-modulation-opal-ms. Looks like it could be sweet.

You're in Tokyo, right? There's a music shop right near Shibuya station (think it was Music Land, it's the one that's something like 6 stories tall & on a street corner + they have the Octatrack on display) that should have an OP-1 to play with. Bring headphones because the speaker's tiny & tinny.

Reflecting on your original question, I ended up emailing Teenage Engineering to ask if they'll continue to develop the OP-1's sampler for future OS releases. Haven't heard back yet (because the email would've popped up in their inbox on a Saturday arvo).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 am 

Actually I'm pretty far from Tokyo but next time you come digging hit me up, I'll make the trip for sure. Always looking for an excuse to get to Tokyo. Well wait til after Christmas though, kids need Santa.
I might get a Mac air at work with apple logic. The tech chief said he's thinking about it(but I think he's cool with me) so maybe I'll get a free daw.
In any case thanks for all your help unfolding. Actually I rather like the sound of the synths that I've heard from the op-1.
And my friend is supposedly building me a yellow magic struthi so I should have a pretty sweet monosynth, if he ever finishes it. The sequencers on the op-1 could control that with iconnect right?
Flannel thanks for your words of wisdom as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 am 

Not getting the Mac, at least not yet. I'll get to use a 15 next spring. But it's all good. Sorry bummed .,.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 pm 

jbl wrote:
Actually I'm pretty far from Tokyo but next time you come digging hit me up, I'll make the trip for sure. Always looking for an excuse to get to Tokyo.
Ha! Just checked the maps then, damn I was a bit lost there (dunno why I thought you were a few hundred Km away).

Cheers for the digging offer too, but I doubt I'll be heading back soon as I was only there on holiday. Which is a pity because the country & people are so great.

Glad you like the sound of the OP-1, still haven't head back from TE about the sampler though. Hope your mate figures out the synth too!