It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

Post subject: tape type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hi SP-Forum, I was just wondering if a cassette multitrack which recommends only using type 2 high bias tapes (like the Yamaha 414mk2 for example) could possibly record onto normal type 1 types.

Type 2 chrome tapes seem a bit harder to get and slightly more expensive in the U.K :/

Also what would you recommend for distribution? As I know people sell their shit on bandcamp in tape format, I'm assuming they'd just use standard type tapes?

Post subject: Re: tape type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:43 pm 

you can use either,
i used standard tapes for a while (and still do) before i bought the type 2 tapes
they sound dirtier, which is not necessarily a bad thing but you gotta watch out because it will muffle your high frequencies and boost your mid/low frequencies.. at least this is how it sounds to me. but that should be no problem if you eq accordingly. i bought a bunch of type 2's off ebay for like ten dollars, sure they all had old vietnamese man music on them, but if your using them for recording you should have no issues, check your thrift stores too. as for distribution, up to you, but i would just go standard to save money. hope some of this helps
PEACE

Post subject: Re: tape type
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:47 pm 

exactly what I needed to know, thanks dude