It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Kaossilator 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 am 

Does anyone own the new Kaosilator 2 who can tell me if it can sample part of its own audio player output?

I've searched the net and not seen anyone mention this.

If this is the case then it could hold the current mix in loop 1 and a new take in loop 2. Then I could use the mixer to adust the level of the new part in the mix and record the performance to the card, play it back and recapture the mix on loop 1 again building risk free layers.

If it can do that I think I'd buy one and start each pattern with with a loops captured from my SP.

Best of all, all the audio layers would still exist on the SD card at the end so I could (PC) copy them back onto my SP (or a DAW).

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Kaossilator 2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:46 am 

For anyone else who might be interested, I got an answer to this on the korg forum.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... 068#490068

It appears that you can load the audio recording of the loops playing back into a loop bank. So potentialy the biggest issue would be finshing the recorder on the loop point.

If I get one I'll update this.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am 

This kinda doesn't work.

The Audio Recorder doesn't start when you hit record, but rather comes up with "working.." and starts when its good and ready.

You can record a performace of the loops and pad in box but you can't get clean start points and thus loops out of the audio recorder (to reload into a loop bank).

That said this is a fantastic little box and is a more advanced box than the Pro.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 am 

It is a fun box - it does some nice things that you wish the Pro could do - the arp settings are cool - but after you have spent some time with the pro I find the little yellow guy frustrating.

You can adjust volume of each instrument on pro before record - on the little one everything comes out full bore - three instruments and you have a cacophony.

I carry the little guy around but the pro is more fun even though it doesn't seem to get the love showered on the KP3.

http://www.myspace.com/tha1punchd

=

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:06 am 

I dislike the x-y on the pro. It has odd note resolution towards the sides.

And I love how on the KO2 the display shows the note name. As a bassist trying to synth over riffs I find that really useful.

Someone on the Korg forus suggested that the Audio recorder on the KO2 is actually quantized so it might still be a go'er as an all in one box.

Quote:
You can adjust volume of each instrument on pro before record - on the little one everything comes out full bore - three instruments and you have a cacophony.

The mixer between the loops can be used to acheive this leveling of loops. Its probably still better if you are recording each layer out to another box, but it is pretty amazing for a pocketable synth/sampler!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 pm 

^ absolute .. I just use as a sequencer for the 404 sx .. 2 bar champion!

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 am 

i played with them all

i had the kaossilator pro and the kp3 - got bored of the kp pro and traded it for an sp 606 - that`s how i got here

kp2 - nice and has a lot of sounds but it`s too small. nice that you can sample. battery life sucks bigtime since it only runs on two batteries (~2h)

kp1 - metal - as rugged as a 404 - extra cheap (got it for less than 50$) - big x/y pad, a gridmod will also make it more exact. if you want to buy a kaossilator and don`t have a lot of money to waste go for this one, you`ll love the sounds. they are waiting to be sampled. battery life is ~5h

also, the kp1 can go to the bathroom with you just like your gameboy did when you were a kid :D