It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 am

Post subject: Drum Machines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 am 

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a drum machine. Something that sounds good, but not too expensive, and something that will work with multiple genres. Right now I'm just using my SP-404sx to make drum patterns, but I'm looking for a stand alone unit.

Kind of an alternative question...would you guys even recommend going the drum machine route, or keep it all in one box and make patterns/resample using the SP?

I know it's ultimately my choice and what I'm comfortable with, but I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Drum Machines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 am 

I use a DR 202 and I like it alot.

I usually will work my chop in the 404 while the 202 run in the radio or someshit. It's good to be be able to run all the time so you can compose and resample in the sampler/synth on beat.

I had a alesis something back in the day but I don't remember it much. the 202 is a fun machine even tho I prolly use like 25% out of it.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 am 

The alesis sr16 is a decent drum machine and you can find it really cheap on ebay :wink:
But if you use a computer often for making beats and you are familiar with software I would prefer a nice midi controller...there are thousands of drum samples on the net you could import on the sp404...it's up to you!
I have the akai xr20 and I almost sold it but the fun of making beats straight from a simple box is awesome!And the limitations of a drum machine actually help me to make some beats instead of diving on resampling and tweaking effects :mrgreen:
I hope I didn't confuse you!But it depends on your workflow...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:42 pm 

x

Last edited by dr5fiend on Sat May 25, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 am 

checkout vintagesynth.com, they have alot of the old korg & yamaha drum machines listed there even thoguh theyre not synths. (some are as well)

i like the rx & ry series, although ive never owned one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm 

The DR-202 works well with any SP sampler. Zoom SB-246 is also a dope drum machine. I'd love to own a SB-246. Imagine that joint paired with a 404 or 303? Hmmm..

I use the DR-202 along with my 303, MS-1, or SU-10. Different combos yield different and results. Never limit yourself and always make it a point to keep progressing. I like to keep it simple and do things in one machine but sometimes that gets boring and a little experimentation is in order. All that matters is that the tracks is ill and crispy!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm 

@bommbapp (RP)
i don't know, but the Zoom RhythmTrak 234 seems to me more tweakable and so more preferable...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm 

I have a microKorg and I play bass and guitar, so I'm not too worried about bass and synth effects. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. There are a lot of choices, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 am 

I've got a few. Korg ER-1, EM-1, ES-1, and a DX200. The ER-1 allows you to make kicks, toms and random r2 d2 noises. The EM-1 and DX200 uses sampled drums, and the ES-1 allows you to sample any drum sounds you can feed it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm 

they got some boss DR-5's up on the bay right now. looks like it has midi in and out. also seeing some zoom pieces but can't really tell the difference between them: the MRT-3B (no bass sounds), 234 (dirtiest?), 223 (most current model?), RT 123 (translucent green casing!), 246 street boxx (sounds by beatkangs). anyone with experience on the zoom pieces?
is the DR-202 better to pair with an og 404? would it end up mainly being used for midi sequencing the 404?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm 

yo-yo crunch wrote:
they got some boss DR-5's up on the bay right now. looks like it has midi in and out. also seeing some zoom pieces but can't really tell the difference between them: the MRT-3B (no bass sounds), 234 (dirtiest?), 223 (most current model?), RT 123 (translucent green casing!), 246 street boxx (sounds by beatkangs). anyone with experience on the zoom pieces?
is the DR-202 better to pair with an og 404? would it end up mainly being used for midi sequencing the 404?

i answer for the DR5
i had once in 2007 so memory can't be not clear.
it have cool internal sequencer, but, from what i remember it haven't many drums sound (tr909/808 and some other). it has many "general" sound, maybe coming from the roland JV series...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:37 pm 

I have the dr202 and recently got a zoom 234..
Wasn't sure what to expect, because i never heard about it on this forum..
All I can say is the buttons on the 202 are a joke compared to the 234,
And, this dirt machine has VELOCITY, and a built in 4-tracker.
It's a great relatively cheap (overlooked) unit in my opinion!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

202 button are kinda sketchy, my snare buttons double sometime but I often leave in it cause it sound wierd.

alos, 202 and 404 sync perfectly midi wise. just press play on the 202 and click on a pattern and it's gonna play in sync

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 pm 

the zoom streetboxx has cool drum sounds but you can only change the pitch. it has some usable fx that the 202 doesn't have. e.g. eq, distortion, bit reducer. even a multiband compressor. not that i need it in a drum machine but you can definitely make the drums sound punchier with it. i was surprised that they put that in a "cheap" drum box.

on the 202 you can change pitch, cutoff, resonance and decay. so you can make real short sounds which you can't on the zoom.
it has only 3 fx.

out of these 2 i would choose the dr-202 because if you have a sp you don't really need the fx in the streetbox.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:55 pm 

I have it narrowed down to the DR-202 and the Zoom 223. I haven't really researched any other Zoom drum machine. The 223 is really inexpensive compared to most new drum machines. My first choice was the Alesis sr-18, but from what I've read most people prefer the 223 over it. My local pawn shop has two 223s for sale, but they are asking the same price I can get for a new one online. The Dr-5s are pretty cheap on eBay, I just haven't read enough about it to convince me to want one yet. I might have to end up getting a couple of different ones, haha. Once again, thanks for the suggestions guys. I discovered this site after I got my 404sx, and I always come back here to learn new tricks.