It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

Post subject: Casio SK-5 backgroung hum
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 pm 

i already asked Limpyloo but he didn't reply yet. so maybe you guys know something about it...

when i sample on the sk-5 (via mono cable), i get that background noise/hum when i play the recorded sample back. i guess that's normal and there is probably no workaround. but i like the sound of the sk-5 very much so i have to ask if anybody managed to get rid of the hum.?...

and i like hiss and noise and all but when i play chords with the sample the noise gets multiplied and pretty loud.
please don't hate on me for wanting to get a clean sound out of the dirty sk-5 :)

Post subject: Re: Casio SK-5 backgroung hum
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm 

SQU!L wrote:
i already asked Limpyloo but he didn't reply yet. so maybe you guys know something about it...

when i sample on the sk-5 (via mono cable), i get that background noise/hum when i play the recorded sample back. i guess that's normal and there is probably no workaround. but i like the sound of the sk-5 very much so i have to ask if anybody managed to get rid of the hum.?...

and i like hiss and noise and all but when i play chords with the sample the noise gets multiplied and pretty loud.
please don't hate on me for wanting to get a clean sound out of the dirty sk-5 :)

Hey man, sorry I didn't reply promptly.

If you're talking about the classic 60hz hum then it' might not be the Sk-5's fault...Bad cord? It might be that the 'mic' jack is effed, so maybe get a 1/4''-to-1/8'' adapter and record into the 'line in'?

If you still get the hum using the 'line in', then it's probably a grounding issue. Stupid magnetic fields (or whatever)!

I love my Sk-5, but sweet jesus can it be uncooperative!

Digs From the Yesterday Window EP
out now:
http://gematrium.bandcamp.com/
NOW FREE!
(though donations are very much encouraged and appreciated)

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm 

thank you very much for the reply. i tried different cables and stuff but i think i never tried the mic input. but the hum is definitely more around 6 or 8k Hz. maybe even higher. gotta check it out right now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:12 pm 

yeah! the hum is gone. used a different cable and a different source for recording. thx again LympiLoo!!!