It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Post subject: Let's talk combos (samplers)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 am 

Anyone care to share some success stories around the combination of two different samplers?

I'm looking to get another sampler to compliment my MPC 1k, but I'm not really sure what to get. I've been looking at Akai s950, SP 202, SP 303 and ASR-10 etc.

I want my MPC to be the master sequencer, and the other guy to be it's slave (lol).

I'm not that concerned with limitations as long as you can sample a "reasonable" amount of seconds without bothering with memory upgrades and stuff.

I've seen some videos on youtube with guys using MPC60/S950, but almost none with a MPC/SP-combo. Anyone know any dudes/girls that use this or other interesting combos?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk combos (samplers)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

see madlib brasilintime videos, in some of them he uses mpc2000xl+sp303.
cheers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:15 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

IM USING ST 224 and SP 404 OG.

This is everything I ever need and more.

shits dope man. I just hold exit when I enter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:43 pm 

I was rocking the ESX-1 and the SP-606 for about a year. Never MIDI'd them up, more like two turntables and a mixer type of thing going on. Had lots of fun making experimental beats, in fact, sometimes I get deeply involved with mutating sounds and other weird shit that I forget to record a track and I'll be there for hours and hours tweaking and mangling.

Another combo I had was the MS-1 (Roland) and the SP-303 and made some ill spooky stuff with that.

Now I'm on the MV because I wanted everything in one machine. I would still do the combo thing if they all had digital in and out then the sound from one machine to the other wouldn't get lost.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
see madlib brasilintime videos, in some of them he uses mpc2000xl+sp303.
cheers

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check that out!

quantum propaniac wrote:
IM USING ST 224 and SP 404 OG.

This is everything I ever need and more.

shits dope man. I just hold exit when I enter

Fo reals, I need me one of those SampleTrak bad boys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:02 pm 

Dicky, the s950 w/ MPC 1k would be a rock solid combination. That would be quite a pair. Best of both worlds: 12 bit bump and 16 bit clarity. With the MPC's sequencing capabilities, you can do whatever you want.

I own and use so many damn samplers that I can mix and match any one of them and come up with some pretty unique sampler combos. For most of this past summer, I was using the MS-1, SP-202, and Yamaha SU-10 combo a lot. The SP-202 and SU-10 really compliment each other (I'd use the 202 for drums and basslines (w/ low end filter) and the SU for chops and filter sweeps. Add an MS-1 and you've got a supernatural, lo-fi trinity.

The ST-224 pairs well with the SP-202. HeadbanD uses that combo to great effect. The DR-202 and SP-303 together are quite intriguing. The DR-202 and MS-1 or SU-10 combos are decent, as well. Sometimes I'll use the SP-202 or SP-303 as the bridge between my mixer and ASR-10. It all depends on the limit of your creativity and preference of workflow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:14 pm 

boombapp28 wrote:
Dicky, the s950 w/ MPC 1k would be a rock solid combination. That would be quite a pair. Best of both worlds: 12 bit bump and 16 bit clarity. With the MPC's sequencing capabilities, you can do whatever you want.

Cool. I've heard some great things about the 950s. I read somewhere that I don't need the memory upgrade. Whats your opinion on that?

boombapp28 wrote:
I own and use so many damn samplers that I can mix and match any one of them and come up with some pretty unique sampler combos. For most of this past summer, I was using the MS-1, SP-202, and Yamaha SU-10 combo a lot. The SP-202 and SU-10 really compliment each other (I'd use the 202 for drums and basslines (w/ low end filter) and the SU for chops and filter sweeps. Add an MS-1 and you've got a supernatural, lo-fi trinity.

The ST-224 pairs well with the SP-202. HeadbanD uses that combo to great effect. The DR-202 and SP-303 together are quite intriguing. The DR-202 and MS-1 or SU-10 combos are decent, as well. Sometimes I'll use the SP-202 or SP-303 as the bridge between my mixer and ASR-10. It all depends on the limit of your creativity and preference of workflow.

The SU-10 sure looks like a real nifty little sequencer. I've heard some clips of the 202 filters and my mind was blown away. Did i mention that I love lofi aesthetics? :)

Btw, MS-1 is the one that looks similar to a microkorg, right?

I think I've heard some songs by HeadbanD while lurking here, I'll check it out again. There's a 202 for sale locally here, but I think he's asking too much for it.

Haha, you sure seem to have a lot of gear. I respect that, but I'm so easily distracted that it's not even funny. I would probably just end up messing with settings instead of making tunes if I had too much gear.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:23 pm 

Yeah, for a while there I had so many samplers but didn't really maximize the potential of all of them. It was hard to find a way to make everything work but when I started experimenting with different combos, it kind of came together.

These days I spend a lot of time with the SampleTrak, the SP-202, 303, SU, and MS. I spend more time with those guys than I do with the ASR, quite frankly. Portability and ease of use has had a lot to do with it just as much as sound quality. I can get real grungy and crusty on any of the budget/semi-pro samplers in a way that the ASR doesn't really allow me to. Sheesh, I need to downsize the studio!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:41 pm 

I'm going to be picking up a Sp606 and using that with a Korg Es-1 electribe, and boy I can't wait to get started. I have most of my gear in the pawn shop at the moment, but I'm slowly going to get all my gear out, and then by spring I plan to buy studio monitors.

I already know these are 2 different types of samplers, and not really sure how I plan to use them. I might have the 606 be slaved to the ES-1, or vice versa, but once I learn to use them properly, I'll have plenty of .wav files to use with them.

Down the road I might want an Akai mpc, but for now this setup is going to keep me busy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:52 am 

Headphones wrote:
I'm going to be picking up a Sp606 and using that with a Korg Es-1 electribe, and boy I can't wait to get started. I have most of my gear in the pawn shop at the moment, but I'm slowly going to get all my gear out, and then by spring I plan to buy studio monitors.

I already know these are 2 different types of samplers, and not really sure how I plan to use them. I might have the 606 be slaved to the ES-1, or vice versa, but once I learn to use them properly, I'll have plenty of .wav files to use with them.

Down the road I might want an Akai mpc, but for now this setup is going to keep me busy.

i have both i'm curious to share/see how you will use them together, i nver done that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:55 am 

I agree the S950 and the 1k would be smooth, It all depends on the budget as well. Me personnally, I rock a mpc 4k as my master with my keys and other samplers midi'd up to it and also run a 303 and mpc 60. The benefit is that sometimes to keep as basic as possible I'll run just the 60 and the 303, with the 303 being used for fx's and more sample time. So although the 1k and the s950 are good, you can't go wrong with a 202 or 303 either. Its more depends on what you are looking to get out of it, the 950's and 303's go for about the same price, 303 a little cheaper if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm 

Arkyve: Thanks for the input. I've heard some of your stuff on soundcloud and it sounds very very good. 60 + 303 combo must be sick.

However, it looks like I'm going for a sampletrak after all. From what I've heard it is similar to the 303 but with more/better effects. Found one locally for about 100 euros (memory card included).

The seller didn't want to hold it for me until next week when I can pick it up though.. Hope no one else replies to his ad haha..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 pm 

dickydiggler wrote:
Arkyve: Thanks for the input. I've heard some of your stuff on soundcloud and it sounds very very good. 60 + 303 combo must be sick.

However, it looks like I'm going for a sampletrak after all. From what I've heard it is similar to the 303 but with more/better effects. Found one locally for about 100 euros (memory card included).

The seller didn't want to hold it for me until next week when I can pick it up though.. Hope no one else replies to his ad haha..

Sampletrack?? good choice, but did you ask this on another forum because I just had this exact conversation about the 303 or the sample track :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 pm 

Yeah, from the specs and what little I've heard of it on youtube it seems like the perfect fit for my setup.

Haha... Nah that's not me :) . I have accounts at mpc-forums, gearslutz etc but i rarely write anything.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:59 am 

dickydiggler wrote:

Btw, MS-1 is the one that looks similar to a microkorg, right?

maybe is the korg microkorg the one you say?