It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 pm

Post subject: Question, maybe a turntable?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:10 pm 

Someone needs to explain to me how this works. Some of the DJ's today they scratch the songs or mess around and make it sound cool with the DJ effects... like bringing the song back, etc. But to my knowledge you can't get new songs today on records to play on record players. So i dont know how it works.

Right now I have a Drum Machine(606)/Keyboard/MIC/Bass guitar, all that is hooked up to my Mixer. Was wondering if I could buy a special Turntable (maybe a CD or Vinyl one), hook that up to my mixer and if I scratched on that it would work? Since all the music is being played through the mixer to my computer or speakers?

That would be sweet..... any help is great. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:27 pm 

90 % of the good hip hop records are put out on wax and cd.

CD TTs are wack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:36 pm 

There's a lot of new music still available on vinyl - but that maybe depends on the genre you're after. But there are those digital solutions that let you play songs from your computer using a normal turntable and a special "control vinyl" to control it - so you can scratch the songs/sounds on your computer. Just google for Serato, Torq or MixVibes for more info...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:42 pm 
Awesome Member

yeah you just don't see it cause you're not hitting vinyl spots. i wouldn't fuck with cd tt either. get a good direct drive table if you want to skratch, with a good skratch cart and needle. the numark tt500 is your cheapest entry into a for real skratching tt, and will run you about $300. however, there have been widespread reports of reliability issues. stanton str8 50s are good, and of course technics 1200 are the standard. my cart /needle is a shure and it cost me like $75. of course i only bought one... you also need a mixer with channel and cross faders, and a hamster switch wouldn't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:39 am 

I basically just want to scratch and bring songs back.. or bring certain parts of the song back to certain spots.. im guessing the CD TT's are my best bet.

Two turntables plus the mixer seems real crazy and time consuming. Plus I dont know what they are used for ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:14 am 
Awesome Member

so to sum up...

1. do not buy a cd tt unless you want little girls to laugh at you for being soft.

2. to skratch without immense frustration, you NEED a direct drive table AND a skratch cart-needle

3. you have to have a mixer to do all but a few skratches (babys, lasers) which you will get tired of quickly, so YOU NEED A MIXER

4. after you get TT 1, youre gonna realize why you want a 2nd, so stack that paper homes... =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:37 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

iG9 wrote:
so to sum up...

1. do not buy a cd tt unless you want little girls to laugh at you for being soft.

word. I always hated those things

iG9 wrote:
2. to skratch without immense frustration, you NEED a direct drive table AND a skratch cart-needle

I been doing some practicing from time to time on a cheap belt drive sony for years. yeah it can cause frustration. One day I gotta feel what its like to work on a turntable made for a DJ.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject: my 2 cts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:44 am 

i love vinyl, that said; a cdj1000mk3, is not a laughing matter. i know it's not 'turntablism' but at least it doesn't go as far as making a spinning platter to try and emulate the turntable completely. all i'm sayin is don't even bother trying to crush the incoming cd players cuz that's a fresh tech knowledgee and they are very formibadle in some cases(like bringin the song back on cue). just not hip hop cuz that dj would bring it back from memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:00 pm 

Ok, can you guys give me links for a mixer and two turntables, something to start out with?

I currently own this mixer:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXENYX2222FX

But I dont think those types of mixers are used for turntables.

Another question, how can DJs today use brand new/exclusive songs? How does that happen? Because I usually see them with records.. and people dont bring out records no more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Ha, don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of turntablism but you definitely don't need turntables to recreate a DJ on your tracks. You can add scratching and even the effect of a DJ backspinning and bringing the beat back all with clever sampling. You can also just have a friend that DJ's hook up some scratching over the track, and you can easily have you tracks pressed to vinyl acetate so you can DJ your own tracks in the club and in production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:00 am 

alright sounds good, but how do you DJ with new songs that come out daily with the two turntables since the new songs arent on records?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:41 am 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Quote:
alright sounds good, but how do you DJ with new songs that come out daily with the two turntables since the new songs arent on records

I believe new music is still on records (not 100% sure it still is, I havnt been digging for new music for a while).
your best bet would be to find a record store that stays up on the latest. sometimes you can find exclusive DJ promo copies on vinyl that doesnt hit TV/radio for months. Stores like that seems to be disapearing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 am 
Awesome Member

music still comes out on wax, no doubt, and it's not just rap. i think there was just a thread about this.

here's my mixer. for the money, it's good. don't buy those starter kits.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-VMX300.html

here's the cheapest non-encumbrance(ing?) turntable.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-NUM-TT500.html

it's true that you don't need a turntable to get skratches on your track. but where's the love? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 am 
303 Award Winner '09

iG9 wrote:
it's true that you don't need a turntable to get skratches on your track. but where's the love? ;)

Where's the money?, I don't have DJ tables but I've found a lot of ways to get it done without. Plus most new music is released on vinyl you just have to go to the right record store or look online, these vinyl singles for rap almost always have the acapella on the b-side too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 am 

Every club I've played at has had both Decks and CD Players (CDJ1000mk2 or 3). The CDJ is an amazing piece of gear, not to be taken lightly. It doesn't really attempt to be a turntable, rather something else entirely. Used properly it's almost as flexible as Abelton Live - you can literally remix songs on the fly! Very cool indeed. Trust me - the girls love it :wink:

However, the real reason Clubs have them is so that DJs can play brand new stuff before vinyl pressing (which is crazy expensive). With dance music, there's so much new stuff coming out all the time that it is very anachronistic to use only vinyl these days. All dance tracks are released on vinyl, of course, but honestly a lot of tunes are almost out-of-date before hitting the shelves :lol:

I haven't seen serato and the like in action yet; having to get the whole vinyl setup just to play digital files seems a bit like overkill to me (if you haven't already got decks of course).

If you do decide to get a CD turntable, Pioneer is the ONLY brand to go for. Numark CD decks are fine, but you'll only ever see the Pioneer in clubs so it's worth learning on the 'standard'.