It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Post subject: Just won one for 140 US
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:50 am 

Yup, +30 Shipping. 170$. Comes with few 100mb zip disk

I plan on using it mostly as my multi-track recorder, I could also drop effect on my track for the final touches if I want, I think it<s pretty dope. I already have a SP-404sx, so instead of resampling my stuff to make tracks, I<ll just sample everything in the 808.

The 808 is actually the cheapest member of the SP fam, and it<s supposed to be one of the most highend, it<s funny.

Anything I should know about them. I know some people advice ot change the drive, worth it? Dangerous? Hard?

(My keyboard<s fucked, I know)

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

Post subject: Re: Just won one for 140 US
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:48 pm 

it gives a strong signal. there's a decent synth with a miserable ui. the effects are killer and the 4 track works great. when i had my 505, i would send the signal to midi w/ the 505 in song mode. the 808 would stop/start via song. it made the most in time loops i have ever heard. wouldn't it be nice if roland could reissue the 808/505 with memory and proc. upgrades?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 pm 

yeah defenitly. it's supposed to be coming this week.

I'm mostly gonna use this to multitrack my shit. my 404fx does the job for managing samples and chopping. unless the 808 has something i never heard of...

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm 

got a dope machine there. Im gonna have mine forever. The 4 track is perfect and if you are good at working in time with the beat, copy and paste is easy as hell. Time stretch aint bad either, waaaaaay better than on the 404 and 555. The synth part is weird but who'd buy a groove box for as a synth. Never understood those korgs ES whatevers. The zip drive is pretty slow when you rock out really hard, otherwise ive never had a problem with em. When you try to quantize it gets slow. Might have to modify some settings to avoid this, when it happens, you'll know what i mean, says something like disk reading or disk error. Zips are just slow, but whatever, i never have that problem anymore, forgot what i was doing that was giving me that problem in the first place. Effects are massive. This thing can just be an effects box to your 404, screw midi and all that, just go back and forth, resampling patterns on the 404, dropping em into the 808 all in the same bpm then lay em down with the step record. Set it to SAMPLE, and you can lay down bars like nothing, back to back very easy. You'll see where im coming from when you look in the manual and rock out a little, really easy machine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:40 pm 

I wonder if I'll ever een record sample and play with them on the 808, I just want to use it so I can resample what I play on the 404 into the 808. So no voice limit and anything, then use effect of the 808 if I need them (and yeah I heard they're pretty cool). I doubt I'll get zip problem if I just sample what I'm playing on the 404.

I really bought it cause I wanted a multitrack, and this one has effect and multiple stuff that no multitrack has.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 pm 

you right, well then rock on brother!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:21 am 

I really like it after all, the divide sample is beast imo, sound is better than my 404sx imo, softer.

I might keep this and sell 404sx after all.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:41 am 

You should keep both of them. They are two very different samplers and really compliment each other. Glad you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 am 

Yeah it's been a bit over a week now and after all even tho I like the sound, it's simply to huge (function and stuff for me) the divide function is pure gold and alot of stuff are, but it,s distrackting me more than it's helping.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM