It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

Post subject: possible 808 purchase
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:58 am 

sup yall wanting to get some info on the 808 before i purchase one . the one im looking at the guy says the front zip drive doesnt work but ive noticed that they have an scsi port at the back will it work with that or do i need the front drive operating for it to function correctly ? and does it have a sequencer at all or anything i can make sequences in like the an mpc or a sp 505 ? im making the transition from an mpc so was also wondering if you can autochop samples and spread them across the pads ive seen a few youtube videos of people doing this.

thanks all help appreciated :D

Post subject: Re: possible 808 purchase
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:16 am 

if that zip drive isnt working then the whole thing isnt working. I have an 808 and if you take the zip out its waits for it to be returned before it will function.
I dont know anything about the scsi or whatever port, never used it or even seen it, come to think of it. maybe its behind the zip drive, internally.
The machine is nice tho, doesnt have a sequencer, just the 4 track. The sp heads would definitely love that feature but a mpc head will hate it. And it does have a divide function that will send your shit to pads. It does it when recording, can set an auto divide and whatever transients it catches, after you record your sample, it will chop it up automatically and assign em to pads. If your looking for a machine that similar to a mpc, just get an mpc. trust me. then if you do get a mpc, get a 808 cause it has like a trillion effects, just sold my 1k but i had the 808 set up to it like an effects processor. I think the 505 has some similar features to the mpc, with the chopping and sequencing and all. check that machine out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 am 

thanks for the info yea the lack of sequencer is definatley off putting i had a 505 awhile ago but never got round to using it id go back to mpc but cant afford it ive just seen some really nice beats created on the 808 and the effects are awesome if it has no sequencer can you just make patterns then play them out live into the 4 track essentially making a full beat ? and if the front zip drive isnt working are they easy to replace ? sorry if these are dumb questions sps are very foreign to me haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:53 am 

and i think the one im looking at is the upgraded version it has the scsi slot at the back so i was thinking is it possible to bypass the front drive and just use the back drive. damn roland never makes anything user freindly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:17 am 

well i dont know about the upgraded (pink) one. i think its the pink one. But the 4 track sequencer is nice because if you like to just let it flow, you band out some drums in track 1, bassline in track 2. then bounce those to pads. Which is a nice feature. once its on a pad its like a mpc with a sequence, except you cant track mute n shit. But the 4 track allows you to just let it flow for a few bars or alot of bars. then bounce your shit to the pads and rock out your pad sequences live. then it has step recording so if you get all yoru pads sequences looping and truncated right, you can lay em down easy as fuck with the step record, just setting the step record to "sample" and its lay the pads length, so you can hit your pads in a song like on the mpc. it only has 4 voices so thats pretty gay but roland is a workaround world and you can bounce tracks like crazy. Or even just resample everything all the time.
It is definitly a pretty cool machine, kinda gets you to step out of your head and say fuck quantize.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:53 am 

its the black model just with the upgrade but i read you can also upgrade it to the 808ex operating system. so basiclly i could say lay my drums on one track then bass on another then samples on the next i mean thats all i did with my mpc id just have banks of one hits drums then 16 pads of samples bang em all out into one sequence then tweak em paste paste sequences together to make a full beat i mean if i can do that sort of thing even if it is a lil difficult the 808 should be fine for me its got 4 note poly phony so im guessin only 4 pads can play at once ? but is that per track ? and i never used track mute on my mps i just did a crap load of sequences lol thanks for all your info even though i dont get much of it its new territory for me but im sure i can learn a challenge is always good the 808 im looking at is like $250 new zealand dollars so thats like cheap in us dolaars right just the front drive is not working sure i can find a replacement if it uses standard computer internal drives not like some official roland typr brand. and word fuck quantize i only ever use it to do my high hats when i lay down my drums just to give me a lil metronome to lay everything elses down but im only only fruity loops at them moment its quantize land lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 am 

fruityloops is the shit. my favorite program. But it is only 4 pads can play at once or 4 tracks at once. When you record your tracks its like 1 voice, no matter how many instruments is on it. i think. I mean, ive played 1 drum track with a bunch of shit on it, then a sample track with like 5 pads for samples and it just played them
so i think its 4 voices/4 tracks. 4 of anything playing at once. Stereo cuts it in half, samples or tracks.
Its actually not that hard to learn. I got right into it and figured out all the extra cool shit later. pitch and time stretch are pretty good too. and the pitch effect is really nice. You can control a lot of parameters, just like in fruityloops with the effects, not just 3 parameters.
i got mine for about 200 so i think your lookin good with that price, just hope it works, might wanna turn that thing on before you buy it otherwise grab a working one on the ebay! dont wanna get a machine that doesnt work right off the bat unless your into having LEMONS sitting around for a while. 250 is too much, in any currency, for something that aint working right off the bat. Like buying a 200 mpc with no screen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm 

Springwater man good advice. I love my 808 but I dOnt useit all that much. Oh and it dOes have track mute parameter. But you can only replace with another zip100 (or 250, if you can get it to ex).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:49 pm 

ya man that thing is nice, if you dont use it much you should at least use it for those awesome effects. just got a 505 AND THE EFFECTS ON THERE SUCK ASS IN COMPARISON. filter is garbage. The 505 is like a 606 but smaller. AND I GOT RID OF MY 606 A FEW MONTHS AGO. but i had to find out for myself but dammit.