It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Post subject: how do i line up loops sp808
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:13 pm 

my DAW is live 6 but when i play out i want to use sp808. i have rendered lots of 16 bar loops and loaded them onto a zip. question is how can i keep the loops in time on the sp808. when you hit a pad the loop starts instantly, can i make them come in on time with each other a la Live.

Post subject: Re: how do i line up loops sp808
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:04 pm 

i got an 808 but i dont understand your question. you sampled your loops into the 808 and you wanna play em live. what kinda of loops, like a drumloop with the synth on top playing together you mean.
i think your trying to creating a song and your pads would be the patterns. so i think for them to come in on time, you'd have to hit it on time. which is what playing live is.
the 808 doesnt have a pattern sequencer. so if you broke your song into 16 bar parts all mixed down, you could just hit the parts when you wanted em to sound. being on time is up to you but it allows for randomization.
i dont even know if im answering the right question. maybe repost in detail what exactly you wanna do with them loops.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:06 pm 

oh yeah, you could line them up with the step edit. which will allow you to hit a pad and it will record it into the 4 track mixer. the entire pads lenght, then when you hit the next pad, it will do the same, thats sort of lining em up. it keeps it neat. go to step edit and set the length to (pad) if everything is 16 bars it will be easy with the correct tempo set. but then, thats not playing live.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:11 pm 

hi, i originally sampled the material into the 808 but then transferred the material into Ableton live where i edited and EQed them. now i have transferred back to zip and want the various pads to play in time to each other, all loops are at 132 bpm. there must be a way of syncing the pads or else by the time four pads are going, eg bass, kick, perc and lead its just a load of noise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:43 pm 

since it has no sequencer you cant. and i know what your talking about. the 808 will off-sync everything even if you hit it at the same time perfectly. ive never been able to get a loop to stay in sync. you best bet is to use the 4 track and the step record. get it all in the 4 track, like all the audio parts.
ex:
pt 1 has all your instruments going for a couple bars.
pt 2 has everything going and not the lead.
pt 3 you get rid of some other instrument and put the lead in this on.
you get where im going, make all the patterns of your song in the 4 track with step record and the tempo set to 132.
step record will put it in the 4 track on point with the bpm is the samples are 132 exactly. then you hit your (forget which button, 808 is in the other room and im laying down) but the button that changes your screen to the playlist window so you can see your 4 tracks.
and i hope you know you can bounce record to your pads which is amazing. now you can sample the parts of your song, like pt1, pt2, onto the pads. and play live like that. rather than having all 4 parts separate on pads. then if you lets say, just want the drums rolling, get that loop on a pad, then you could manualls bring in the lead when you want to, then when you wanna play the part with the drums and the lead in sync, you'll have a pad for that. this is pattern sequencing but in human mode not sp sequence mode which is alot easier and leave no room for error, but error is the shit sometimes. watch some vids of people rocking like this, you'll get it fast. very simple stuff.

i used to record in my 808 like this, record a drumloop and bang some samples into the recorder. get it on a pad. then rock on to, resampling from like my computer, now i have 2 pads. one with the samples rockin and the drumloop, the other with those 2 and whatever i did in the computer on top, then i kept layering till i had 16 pads with a bunch of different shit. and i always kept a pad with my drumloop alone. so i could always go back to square one if i got too insane.
i know its the long version but i hope it helps. if i had a cam id make a video.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:46 pm 

also set all your pads to be in a mute group so if you have a 16 bar pad but wanna cut into it after 8 bars with another pattern(pad) you can and it'll cut it off.
this is your best bet for live music with the 808. fun too. hit a pad, rock out, hit the next, rock out, d-beam effects, rock out and let it trigger and loop until you hit the next pad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:09 pm 

i understand what your saying i might have to go that way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:21 pm 

What I did with my old 505 and 808 was;
Record parts. Make a one pattern song. I set the recorder of the four track with midi. Set play to record. Put afew different parts side by side. Then render that Part to a pad (using clipboard). These parts would stay in time if I did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:48 pm 

can you use the clipboard from the playlist view in the 808 to get the mixer tracks to pads? is that what you said, never tried, i usually just bounce to the pads.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:59 pm 

have spent the last couple of hours sitting in bed with sp808 on my lap and manual beside me haven't used 808 for about 18 months so i need to brush up. forget how good this unit sounds (filters, isolators, eq and of course the space echo). have ordered two SPDIF cables and will use this as a fx unit with ableton live personally i haven't come across a software reverb that touches this unit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:10 pm 

the effects are amazing. thats the thing i like the most. got my mpc hooked up to it and using it like an effects unit to resample, and its pretty quick with the extra outs. i just suck ass at sampling and mangling, so im spending most of my time getting better with my chops and resampling. i think im makin it harder than it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 pm 

Bouncing is rerecording in which the length changes. But if u use the midi to start and stop recording on the 4track in song mode, all loops are the same length. When you move it with the clip board they stay the same length.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:51 am 

have tried creating a song on track A but haven't got to far. my paper manual is for 808ex e-mix studio don't know if this makes a big difference. but yes creating a song with my phrases (pads) is the way to go i think. will download manual for sp808 black-case and see what the differences are.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:42 am 

the manual might just confuse you like it did me. so just turn one pattern/bar into a 'song', set the 808 to record start with song start (if memory serves me right). I think it will just stop after the 'song' stops.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:46 am 

yes i admit it got a bit confused. seems to be little difference though between black-case and e-mix manuals. although was looking at the manual and i think i went about trying to create a song wrong, so i will have another go today.